SL-R all in cost?

Brian Hamilton

I'm on the verge of touching myself inappropriatel
If you wanna send me a free SL-R or Nemesis, I'll Tattoo RACE CAR REPLICAS on my back. LOL

Not really, but really...

The srt-4 engine is pretty sweet. I have driven one (of course in a neon), and was blown away by the torque.

I just cant decide if I want a low revving american 4 banger with tons of torque EVERYWHERE, or a japanese k20a type r that will scream to 9000 rpms and sound better doing it.

Decisions decisions. I also don't think the SRT-4 tranmsisions are quite as crisp as their japanese counterparts.

Ted, if you found a really good deal on an SRT-4 (or Honda K20/24) engine, didn't get any upgrades, only bought used parts, picked the car up yourself from RCR, did everything yourself, etc... I'm sure you could build it pretty close to $21-22K. And for this kind of car, RCR quality, and mind blowing acceleration, I think that's a heck of a deal.

The one problem I've found, is that I can't seem to stop upgrading.

I know she is but what does that have to do with my boomerang coming back....or the price of an SL-R.....I am confused...but you guys knew that already.

vague reference to the Ital Design "Boomerang" mentioned in another post..

Most people were born into a state of infancy, whilst others in a state of confusion! Welcome to the club! But do thank Vicki for me..

Wow, thank you all for the replies. Fran, what would you put in a SL-R if you were going to use it as a daily driver (on days that its not raining of course). SRT-4 motor or k20a type r?

K20 without a doubt....JDM package..more power stock than a Domestic K20 and easier and cheaper wiring...

The SRT-4 is a great package but heavier....its is significantly less expensive and has HUGE tuning potential....

So both have serious merit... but still the K20 for me,as keeping the car light and nimble is the name of the game with this genre of car IMHO.

Brian Hamilton

I would have to opt for the turbocharged GM Ecotec engine. I was all hell bent on the SRT4 engine, but the all aluminum construction of the Ecotec changed my mind. The really cool features of the turbo Ecotec is that it's direct injected, DOHC with variable valve timing on intake and exhaust cams, 9.2:1 compression, coated pistons, oil squirters under the pistons for added cooling, 14 lbs of boost STOCK, and it makes 265hp outta the box. Guys doing exhaust, cold air, and tunes are over 300hp at the tires. When I build my SL-R it will use this engine. I'll probably only do a header and upgraded turbo, custom intercooler, stand alone ECU, and supporting mods. That'll be about it and I'm sure I'll have 350-400hp all day long. Hell, with direct injection you can run the car on gaseous fuel. They sell direct replacement injectors for it. 130 octane LPG powered turbocharged ExoCar? Come on....

K20 without a doubt....JDM package..more power stock than a Domestic K20 and easier and cheaper wiring...

The SRT-4 is a great package but heavier....its is significantly less expensive and has HUGE tuning potential....

So both have serious merit... but still the K20 for me,as keeping the car light and nimble is the name of the game with this genre of car IMHO.

I'm glad to hear you say that. I went with the K20, and haven't had a single regret since. It is an incredible engine.

If you're planning on staying N/A, there is no competition as far as I'm concerned. There isn't another N/A 4-cylinder on the planet that even comes close to the K20. And even if I was to go F/I, I'd still go with the K20. There is so much aftermarket for this engine it's unbelievable.

Actually, I've been so impressed that I traded in my Lexus and bought a little Honda VTEC car as my daily driver.

Doug S.

The protoplasm may be 72, but the spirit is 32!
Lifetime Supporter
Actually, I've been so impressed that I traded in my Lexus and bought a little Honda VTEC car as my daily driver.

I've been looking at my Honda Accord EX (VTEC V-6, automatic) with renewed respect since Fran introduced the SL-R. Good to see that somebody else has that same kind of good sense!! It's not scary fast in stock form, but in a SL-R I think it might just get there :thumbsup: !

Doug

Doug S.

The protoplasm may be 72, but the spirit is 32!
Lifetime Supporter
If you wanna send me a free SL-R or Nemesis, I'll Tattoo RACE CAR REPLICAS on my back.

An RCR "tramp-stamp", Brian???

If your new wife would view that with the same lust that a normal "tramp-stamp" induces in us red-blooded males, you might just be the luckiest man in Texas!!

Doug

Brian Hamilton

It'd be across my upper back. Not lower back. That's just... Well... Not right on a dude. LOL I'd tattoo the RCR logo on my upper back for a free car. Damn straight.

For the parts that are supplied (e.g., cooling, etc...), is there a 'safe' hp level that they're targetted towards?

For example, I was pricing out a Cox racing srt-4 setup (~470RWhp twin turbo stage 2 engine; $8500), but then began to wonder if that'd be too excessive for what you supply with the SLR.

Based on my recent experience at the Skip Barber racing school driving a formula ford (1100 lbs with 130 hp at the crank), 470hp sounds like a very unusable engine. Prob wouldnt be able to floor it until 4th gear. 300 hp would be ridiculously fast, 470 just sounds like too much.

Based on my recent experience at the Skip Barber racing school driving a formula ford (1100 lbs with 130 hp at the crank), 470hp sounds like a very unusable engine. Prob wouldnt be able to floor it until 4th gear. 300 hp would be ridiculously fast, 470 just sounds like too much.

Hey, hey, don't cheat it - that's 470RW; so over 600 at the crank. :drunk:

600+hp@2120lbs is fuuuuuuuun...........600+hp@1200lbs would jbe just :lipsrsealed::lipsrsealed:

:laugh:

Back