SLC Build Thread-Chassis #53

The Pro EFI unit has had HUGE success in the BMW world and is getting some GREAT SUPPORT in a lot of one of projects that are starting up. I would love to know why not use a OEM unit and program that yourself or have it tuned. They are cheap through junk yards and supposedly can handle 1,000hp (the guys on LS1 tech are building some insasne motors with them right now).

I am using an OEM computer (hence HPTuners/EFIlive to tune it). I have the 411 GM ecm. I had the PROEFI in a 2jz powered car and it ran like a top. Much improve over the AEM that was in there. The PROEFI would allow integrated traction control instead of running a stock GM computer and the race logic unit. That is attractive to me besides individual cylinder tuning... I have some extra o2 and egt bungs. hmmmm....

The Holley Dominator ecm is supposed to have integrated traction control in the works as well. My buddy runs that and loves it. His engine is much more radical than mine and he just raves about it.

Last edited:
I don't know if I would trust Holley for EFI? They sometimes have enough problems getting carbs right :/

Although there do seem to be some pretty positive reviews about the Holley setyup lately...

Do any of them also support ABS or is the OEM still the only option? It would be nice to have both TC and ABS for street driving. I know the GTM guys got the Corvette ABS working but that's not optimal. I've been searching for another option. A tunable aftermarket ABS would be useful.

Last edited:
I don't know if I would trust Holley for EFI? They sometimes have enough problems getting carbs right :/

Although there do seem to be some pretty positive reviews about the Holley setyup lately...

It has gotten nothing but rave reviews from what I've seen other than a few early units replaced under warranty. I know nothing of their reputation with carbs. I have heard a rumor that they will be bringing a Ls7 itb system to the market however. ;)

Just a rumor so far, but from a pretty good source.

Do any of them also support ABS or is the OEM still the only option? It would be nice to have both TC and ABS for street driving. I know the GTM guys got the Corvette ABS working but that's not optimal. I've been searching for another option. A tunable aftermarket ABS would be useful.

OEM or extremely high dollar aftermarket systems to the best of my knowledge. If the GTM guys can do, it can be done on a SLC if you use the Corvette uprights, hubs, and brakes. I believe Fran has that covered as an option (the Vette uprights, etc).

Now you need to dress them up with some CF valve covers.....

I'm wishing I thought of this 4 months ago when I bought the all pro "as cast" valve covers. They are quality pieces but they don't really fit the look of the car. I should have gotten either polished or black. I will probably paint them.

It has gotten nothing but rave reviews from what I've seen other than a few early units replaced under warranty. I know nothing of their reputation with carbs. I have heard a rumor that they will be bringing a Ls7 itb system to the market however. ;)

Just a rumor so far, but from a pretty good source.

Lol, that'd be perfect for your next car - then you can torture yourself a 3rd time setting up ITBs, haha! =)

Have you seen any comparisons between a fast vs holley efi unit if you were to to choose one or the other?

Lol, that'd be perfect for your next car - then you can torture yourself a 3rd time setting up ITBs, haha! =)

Have you seen any comparisons between a fast vs holley efi unit if you were to to choose one or the other?

Only going by feedback and what I've seen in person, the Holley Dominator without question. I wouldn't run a FAST ecm at all in it's current form. But again, I haven't used either first hand so take my opinion with a grain of salt.

I fab'd up my headers. Starting the final welding on my headers tonight. I made mine different than Allan's and tailored to my engine combo's requirements and desired torque curve.

I am shooting for a first start up on my birthday next week...would be a nice present on that day. Just waiting on a couple of small but necessary engine accessory pieces to make it happen. Keeping my fingers crossed.

photobucket-1252-1311857587405.jpg

Looking real nice Roberto. Just curious, were you using the ICE system for mockup? Can't wait to see the final product of your efforts.

Thanks Jack and Doc...

Doc:
I own the ICE engineering system and used it to mock up the first SLC header version I did for Allan many months ago. However it didn't fit when I brought over the tacked up set. That wasn't the fault of the ICE system, but a result of fabrication teething and allowing the mockup to shift a hair during transport. It is a really nice kit (and Victor at ICE is great).

I don't use it anymore as I kind of visualize the design in my head and I build backwards matching the dimensions my software spits out within the space constraints we have. This is my 5th (6th?) set of SLC headers (not all by choice...lol), and besides being different based on the engine combo/desired use, I tweak the design everytime.

Calling you now...lol ;) I would love to quit my job and do this full time if I could. Can I move to Clinton Township and get a small corner in your shop?

If you're hiring Roberto you better hire me to sand & polish your gelcoat! :idea:

DSC_0087.jpg

I'm welding the rest of it this week:

DSC_0095.jpg

Hey Roberto,

Really nice work on the headers. I like the design and execution.

I do have one question: I see you have a single piece head flange, and was wondering if you were worried about expansion when it got hot. I've seen several header designs, especially for turbo applications, where the flanges were separated, such that they were able to grow a little, mitigating the risk of that large piece of stainless growing enough to begin to obscure the exhaust ports a bit.

Nice color and apparent penetration on the welds!

-Will

Back