SLC wheel choices

Howard Jones

Supporter
Fran,

I'll wear out the tires I have and then give you a call. As fast as the SLC is evolving I think I'll be better off if I wait until I want to change the wheels and then call you.

Things are moving along, should be months not years now. By the way if you come out for the 25 at Thunderhill, let me know and we'll get together for a chat and a couple of cold ones.

Howard

I have a couple of questions...

1. BBS makes a center lock race wheel that I've always thought would be perfect on the SLC. Can these be sourced and fit onto the SLC?

2. If you use center lock wheels, where can you get the spindles that you would use with them?

Mike

Last edited:
Michael,

Jongbloed Racing Wheels make centerlock wheels and I believe Fran can make the hubs......be prepared for "sticker shock"!

Michael,

Jongbloed Racing Wheels make centerlock wheels and I believe Fran can make the hubs......be prepared for "sticker shock"!

LOL!!! I know all about sticker shock! I'm currently building a GTM... My "$40k" build is currently at the 120 mark. :stunned:

I do think that these wheels would be the perfect look for the SLC though.

Thanks for the link.

Mike

I don't know why you guys go ga-ga over centerlocks. If I could I'd ask Fran to convert my 917 to 5-lug, lol.

Having only 1 nut holding the rim on makes me nervous. Having to spend $1,000 on a 3/4'' torque wrench and socket to properly tighten the nut to spec to spec makes me sad.

Alex,

I'm pleased to see that you are now using torque wrenches!

I've always used proper tools, my problem is knowing when to torque to spec and when to just hand tighten. For example, when tightening the front part of the roll cage to dash aluminum tubing without a steel backing plate on the other side, I learned what happens if you try to torque the bolt to a 3/8'' spec instead of just hand tighten .... squiiiiiiishy squissshy, lol:shy:

I picked up a 2nd set of track rims, 2011 corvette Grand Sport takeoffs. No interference over the old Wilwood calipers and you can find them pretty reasonable, $500-700ish. They are a good value because they are Italian made and light.
I don't know if I've seen these on an SLC before. I think they'd look even better flat black powder coated. I might get around to that over the holidays.

Attachments

• IMG-20130628-00181.jpg
    IMG-20130628-00181.jpg
    126.5 KB · Views: 498
I picked up a 2nd set of track rims, 2011 corvette Grand Sport takeoffs. No interference over the old Wilwood calipers and you can find them pretty reasonable, $500-700ish. They are a good value because they are Italian made and light.
I don't know if I've seen these on an SLC before. I think they'd look even better flat black powder coated. I might get around to that over the holidays.

That's what I have on mine. I was waiting for the Forge Stars to come in with the SLC order. However, it looked like Forge Star dropped the ball and the wheels where not ready in time. So I had the Grand Sport wheels sent as the rollers.

Yes, they are cheap, I picked them up for around $550 or so. They are the same color as the ones you have. I might have them either painted or plastic dipped, but that is still 3 months away before I get home. My SLC is orange, so the black wheels will give it the F1 GTR orange kinda look.

Yes, they are cheap, I picked them up for around $550 or so. They are the same color as the ones you have. I might have them either painted or plastic dipped, but that is still 3 months away before I get home. My SLC is orange, so the black wheels will give it the F1 GTR orange kinda look.[/QUOTE]

That'll look sweet. I had my other set of Z06 rims powdercoated for around $60/rim. Its been 2 years/6k miles and i only have 2 tiny little dings. pretty durable. The flat black is nice, the dirtier they get, the better they look!

Back