Sleepless in Houston

Hi gang,

I just joined today, and after reading all the newbie threads to understand proper forum etiquette (and make sure I belong here), I'll introduce myself: I'm 49 years old, live in Houston, TX for the last 3 years with my wife & kids, having spent the 1st 46 years in Connecticut, where I retired from a municipal police department, then took up graphic design, which is of course a natural extension of police work. Well, maybe not, but between graphic design and my retirement, I was able to buy and assemble an ERA 427 Cobra replica, complete with 427 side-oiler. While I love my Cobra, I have to force my thoughts away from the fantasy of having a GT40 to keep the Cobra company in the garage, just so I can get to sleep at night. So I've started my own business, as well as still working for someone else, for the singular purpose of saving enough to really belong here.

While I'll mostly be learning, I'll be more than happy to give any assistance to anyone who, for example, has a GT40 and wants to add a Cobra.

Ron

Hi Ron,
Welcome to the forum. Lot's of great info to be found from some very talented individuals. Have fun!

Hi Ron-
I'm a transplant to Houston too and although I was USAF my little brother's a cop in Tulsa. Welcome to the forum, and thanks for your public service in Connecticut.

Hi John,

Thanks for the welcome and you're welcome for the service. I've been reading about the Ford/Safir lawsuit, so I don't know what I should call it, but do you have a GT, GT40, replica, original, etc.? Or are you still dreaming of the day, too?

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
Owning a GT40 is not a prerequisite to belonging here on GT40s..

Welcome to the forum...

Being a former Cobra owner and builder of more than a few - I can certainly understand your illness... :)

Dimi Terleckyj

Lifetime Supporter
Hi All
Unfortunately I succumbed to the GT40 virus back in 1969 when I accidently sighted an original.

I didn't know how badly I was infected until I had to go to doctor DRB and was prescribed a body and chassis kit as the only cure known to mankind.

I duly filled the prescription and completed the steps of the cure and am happy to say that it was the best sickness I have ever been through.

The only downside (happiness) is that it is a lifelong affliction which can only be held at bay by frequently driving your 40.
I manage to keep my attacks down to a minimum by driving my 40 at least every second day.

I only hope everyone on the forum has access to the cure at some time.

All the best
Dimi

PS; I feel an attack starting so I'm off to take the cure.

Welcome to the forum. Some of us are still here in Connecticut w/the CT DMV to satisfy. You will have a much longer driving season to enjoy where you are now.
A.J.

Randy, Dimi and Al: Thanks for the welcome.

Al: Come on down! I drive my Cobra almost every day here, today included. I much preferred the terrain there, and the back road country driving, but there's a lot to be said for being able to drive a topless car about 250 days a year, too. Still, a car with a top (GT40) for those other days sure would be nice...And don't even get me started on the CT DMV! When I moved here, I asked the guys doing the inspection if I had to comply with a list of things that CT did, they looked at me like I was from another planet. They checked my wipers and turn signals and charged me $14.95 for my sticker. Brought it to the DMV, got it re-titled as a 1966, and my insurance premiums got cut in half. Gawd almighty, I love Texas!

And John: Thank you for your service to our country. Without you guys, we would be speaking Japanese, Russian or Persian. We wouldn't have GT40s or a forum to talk about them.

Kirby Schrader

They're mostly silver
Lifetime Supporter
Ron,

I am just an hour or so north of Houston near The Woodlands. What area are you living in?

I have a Superformance GT40 MkII that I took delivery of June 2007.

If you're interested in getting together, kicking some tires and BS'ing, let me know. I also have a Pantera, but am waiting for it to get out of the paint shop. For years....

There is a hell of a good bunch of guys in the Space City Panteras club and they let me come around with my GT40 all the time.

Welcome to Houston!

Kirby

Hi gang,

I just joined today, and after reading all the newbie threads to understand proper forum etiquette (and make sure I belong here), I'll introduce myself: I'm 49 years old, live in Houston, TX for the last 3 years with my wife & kids, having spent the 1st 46 years in Connecticut, where I retired from a municipal police department, then took up graphic design, which is of course a natural extension of police work. Well, maybe not, but between graphic design and my retirement, I was able to buy and assemble an ERA 427 Cobra replica, complete with 427 side-oiler. While I love my Cobra, I have to force my thoughts away from the fantasy of having a GT40 to keep the Cobra company in the garage, just so I can get to sleep at night. So I've started my own business, as well as still working for someone else, for the singular purpose of saving enough to really belong here.

While I'll mostly be learning, I'll be more than happy to give any assistance to anyone who, for example, has a GT40 and wants to add a Cobra.

Ron

Hi Kirby,

I'm in Kingwood, not far from you at all. I just cruised past the Woodlands yesterday on I-45, but I haven't yet been to Magnolia. I'd love to get together. The car I aspire to is a MkII, either Superformance or ERA (I have a bias toward ERA, as I have one of their cobras), but I'd love to see your car. The Houston Cobra Club is similar in that we don't care if you have a Cobra, Viper or Garden Snake to join the club.

Thanks,
Ron

Kirby Schrader

They're mostly silver
Lifetime Supporter
Ron,

Well then.... You are REAL close to John Taphorn, who has two Panteras! He lives in Kingwood also. Good friend.

I will let you know when we get together or you can get ahold of John anytime.

The Pantera club usually gets together the first Saturday of every month. I'll put you on the list.

Regards,
Kirby

Hi Kirby,

I'm in Kingwood, not far from you at all. I just cruised past the Woodlands yesterday on I-45, but I haven't yet been to Magnolia. I'd love to get together. The car I aspire to is a MkII, either Superformance or ERA (I have a bias toward ERA, as I have one of their cobras), but I'd love to see your car. The Houston Cobra Club is similar in that we don't care if you have a Cobra, Viper or Garden Snake to join the club.

Thanks,
Ron

Kirby,

That sounds great. Thanks! That works out well, because the Cobra Club meets every 2nd Saturday. With the HCC, it's not nearly so much about the cars as it is about the people, which is as it should be. The Pantera Club sounds about like that, especially if they'll let a Cobra guy hang out with them.

Hey, do you know Bill Isaacs? He belongs to the Cobra Club, and besides a Cobra, he has a Pantera (and some other really cool cars too).

I work from my house, so I'm free just about anytime, unless I get really swamped with work. If it's not taboo, I'll post my cell #, and you can call when it's convenient. I'm dying to see your SPF.

Thanks again,
Ron

Doug S.

The protoplasm may be 72, but the spirit is 32!
Lifetime Supporter
Hey, Ron, welcome to the forum.

I'm about 35 miles southwest of Houston, in a town called Rosenberg.

There's a Roaring Forties owner in the Clear Lake area, I'm planning a trip down there for a car ride, if you're interested in joining me I'd approach the gentleman to see if another forum member might be welcome, too. Let me know, OK?

Doug

Hi Doug,

Like Magnolia, I've heard of Rosenberg, but haven't had the opportunity to visit yet. I appreciate the offer, and I'm always up for a good ride (weather permitting). Just let me know, and I'll be happy to join you.

Thanks,
Ron

Kirby Schrader

They're mostly silver
Lifetime Supporter
Ron,

Yep, Bill Isaacs is a member of Space City Panteras.

I sent you an email with John Taphorn's email address. He replied back to you. Assuming your GT40s.com email is working?

Regards,
Kirby

Kirby,

That sounds great. Thanks! That works out well, because the Cobra Club meets every 2nd Saturday. With the HCC, it's not nearly so much about the cars as it is about the people, which is as it should be. The Pantera Club sounds about like that, especially if they'll let a Cobra guy hang out with them.

Hey, do you know Bill Isaacs? He belongs to the Cobra Club, and besides a Cobra, he has a Pantera (and some other really cool cars too).

I work from my house, so I'm free just about anytime, unless I get really swamped with work. If it's not taboo, I'll post my cell #, and you can call when it's convenient. I'm dying to see your SPF.

Thanks again,
Ron

Hi Kirby,

I never saw anything to prompt me to sign up for emails. Let me look around the site and try to get that working.

Thanks,
Ron

Back