So much for richer, for poorer.

What's interesting is what's not being said. Alaska defies the trend by having:

Median household income: $61,604 (5th highest)
Percent below poverty line: 9 percent (2nd lowest)

and Nevada also pushes the hypothesis with:

Median household income: $51,434 (20th highest)
Percent below poverty line: 12.4 percent (20th lowest)

So, how does the hypothesis deal with these two states that are in the better half of those? The answer is simple - stress and depression are the leading cause of divorce. And, most definitely, economic factors play a large role in causing stress and depression, but there are other factors too. Which is why Alaska and Nevada are ranked so high in the divorce rates, and yet economically, are doing fairly well, especially when compared to the other 8 states in the top 10 of divorce rates.

Ian

I was married for 16 years. After my divorce I thought that if I had gotten a hooker once a week for for $150.00 for 16 years it would have cost $124,800.00. It cost me $850K to get divorced, go figure! And the hooker would have said "thank you".

The other problem with the data is how were the divorces counted? Since there are so few states where same sex marriage is legal, and those marriages being considered legal are fairly recent, then the number of same sex couples really shouldn't do much to change the ratio of divorced men to divorced women. Also, if the survey only counted being divorced as a single tally and not counting someone who was divorced more than once as multiple tallies, then really, each state should pretty much have the same divorce rate men vs. women. So, what accounts for such wide swings? Yes, it could be that multiple divorces count more than once, but more likely, the survey results are flawed because it counts the divorces in the state where the respondents live in as opposed to counting the divorces in the state where they occurred. Which basically means that the divorce rate of men and women in each state is inaccurate, and therefore no real conclusions can be reached comparing the states' economic factors and divorce rate.

Ian

Back