SPF #2285 Born, But Still Coming To Life

Mike

Lifetime Supporter
I think it looks great and if it doesn't work out will be easy to go back to the open screen s. I like the shape of the rear lip as well. 15" wheels are the ONLY way to go and so the extra investment was well worth it. I like the wide body as well. I look forward to seeing the completed the car. Just don't threaten to sue me because I call out manufacturing gaps in my own car lol. That was lame Robert.

Robert,
You mentioned a few posts back about cutting out the upper corners of the rear clip to release more hot air. On both of my cars, this would only let air out of the wheel-wells. (there is a splash-guard that seperates the engine area on both sides) I don't remember looking under the rear clip on the gulf cars to see if it has been cut-away or not......... Anyway, something to think about, Scott

Robert S.

GT40s Supporter
Venting hot air from engine/exhaust area on MKI

Robert,
You mentioned a few posts back about cutting out the upper corners of the rear clip to release more hot air. On both of my cars, this would only let air out of the wheel-wells. (there is a splash-guard that seperates the engine area on both sides) I don't remember looking under the rear clip on the gulf cars to see if it has been cut-away or not......... Anyway, something to think about, Scott

Scott, Thanks for taking the time to pass along a worthy suggestion. I will look into the circumstances you described later today.

I'm uncertain we are both thinking about the same circumstances - maybe we are, but I'm not sure. So, I’ve attached a pict below that shows a rear view of another GT40 MKI tail.

This particular MKI is more like some of the original race versions whereby many of those owners or teams cutout the center section to vent the power train area below, and they also cut out vents on the left and right sides of the car's original rear body spoiler area. For MY lack of better names, those two left and right side cutouts I just mentioned are the two cutouts I may make in my car, and it is that contiguous hollow area which leads downward unimpeded to the power train and exhaust area. I believe it likely that both types of openings promote the expulsion of hot air. Do you still have concerns? I would appreciate you letting me know. Thank you very much, Robert See photo below.

rearspoilerventing.jpg

Robert S.

GT40s Supporter

I think it looks great and if it doesn't work out will be easy to go back to the open screen s. I like the shape of the rear lip as well. 15" wheels are the ONLY way to go and so the extra investment was well worth it. I like the wide body as well. I look forward to seeing the completed the car. Just don't threaten to sue me because I call out manufacturing gaps in my own car lol. That was lame Robert.

Okay then, I loved everything you said, and admit that I was lame.

That being said, I would like to suggest that my harsh response was initiated by many of your posts on this forum that should not be described as "...because I call out manufacturing gaps in my own car..."

I shall give one example of your post on this forum on 07-15-12, 03:41 PM.

"This along with countless other little "WTF"s has made me ask time and again. What were the people thinking at Superformance who put my car together. Did they look at this and the many other piss poor things and think.... ah yes... That will do! Were they drunk? Maybe stoned? That or they they suffered from some incredibly poor attention to details. It's not like it would have taken anymore time to do it right. Gawd dang you knuckleheads did some awful work and if you worked for me you would have been fired on the spot!"

I don't believe you meant to intentionally harm the car and the company's reputation as much as you likely did. I believe you were just frustrated and perhaps angry. Sadly, I am guilty of that at times too.

It was not Superformance that builds the licensed GT40s, it is HighTech Automotive. Superformance is the licensed worldwide distributor. Others like you have discovered some defects, some poorly implemented part placements and other omissions. Without going into lengthy detail, some of those discoveries of things of poor parts, or poor implementation, are instead a requirement that Safir (The legal owner of the GT40 name style, and company that licenses HighTech and Superformance to both make and sell GT40s) requires by contractual stipulation: that the car ONLY be made as closely as the original as humanly and technologically possible. The trinity of Safir, HighTech Automotive, and Superformance are contractually bond by written agreement, and we are all the beneficiaries of that relationship, as we here own the only licensed continuation GT40s.

As a matter of interest, my water hose connections in the front compartment of my new roller featured all loose hose clamp connections. Fortunately, this circumstance was detected before massive leaks occurred into the cabin. I immediately called Superformance, and they said it was regretful and should not have happened. Lance said that HighTech employs inspectors, and that several years ago Superformance hired and pays the wages for an additional inspector AT THE PLANT to only inspect the SPF GT40s. So, both inspectors missed those loose fittings.

I would enjoy a harmonious and mutually beneficial friendship with you, and would like to move forward. We don't have to sit and watch old black and white reruns of GT40 movies together while smoking the hooka, but we can help each other and others here by sharing decent information, making suggestions, correcting erroneous information, and offering encouragement. We can also employ tactful disclosure of "manufacturing gaps", hopefully, without disparaging our own car brand. :thumbsup:.

Hope you agree, and ONWARD, Robert

Seymour Snerd

Lifetime Supporter
Re: Reply

some of those discoveries of things of poor parts, or poor implementation, are instead a requirement that Safir (The legal owner of the GT40 name style, and company that licenses HighTech and Superformance to both make and sell GT40s) requires

Please specifically identify a "discovery" of poor parts or implementation that is due simply to a Safir requirement for accuracy with respect to the original cars.

Dear Robert

check out his website
Ford GT40 Restoration - Chassis 1076

scroll down the site to figure 22 and 23 and you can see exactly what this "rear top side"cutouts are meant for. Their purpose is to vent the wheelwells and relieve the hot air from braking. Also they will have some aerodynamic effect. on this original car #1076 there is no connection to the engine compartment ( as Scott pointed out correctly).

The center vent above the gearbox is modeled in a recess on most original cars. Most of us are using this recess for mounting the nump
berplate. On my car i do this as well, but i have opened it up behind and mounted the numberplate on spacers to vent hot air from the engine compartment. Never understood why SPF´s dont feature this original style recess.

TOM

Mike

Lifetime Supporter

Please specifically identify a "discovery" of poor parts or implementation that is due simply to a Safir requirement for accuracy with respect to the original cars.

That's easy... The leaky brake reservoirs

Keith

Re: Dream or nightmare . . .

I agree I remain conflicted between two extremes: purity of heritage vs. struggle to avoid cookie-cutterness. And, that's not intended as a put down of those who admire originallity and purity.

Well, you've almost failed in one of those struggles but it certainly looks different from any other SBF I've ever seen, and I suppose that in itself is an achievement.

Personally, I prefer patina and utilitarian to bling, as race cars have a beauty in their visual stark & functional simplicity, and your version will be one of a kind - no doubt.

Seymour Snerd

Lifetime Supporter

That's easy... The leaky brake reservoirs

Mine leak because of the sloppy way SPF glued them into their mounting panel with RTV, which prevented the lids from being screwed all the way on, and because SPF omitted the cap gaskets. Hardly a flaw in the original design... just another case of deviating from the design that so reliably won so many races.

And by the way Robert's hose clamps are almost certainly loose because of the SPF-conceived idea that you can seal a rubber hose to a metal pipe by machining a recess into the tube that is thus smaller than the ID of the hose, rather than the correct and original way which is to swage a bead onto the pipe. This is one of those "discoveries" already documented elsewhere on the forum.

Next?

Last edited:

Mike

Lifetime Supporter
Next? Huh? The cans leak because the cap breathers do not have any baffling in them. Mine threaded down just fine and had rubber seals as well. They are also made of mild steel and rusted inside from condensation. How do know if the hoses leak when you have not even put your car on the road after three years? I've got 1500 miles on mine and other than a slight drip from a hose that had a very loose clamp, I haven't had a problem. Theory is great but at some point don't you have to actually drive your car before you know what works and what doesn't?

Seymour Snerd

Lifetime Supporter
Next? Huh? The cans leak because the cap breathers do not have any baffling in them. ?

And this happened because Safir required it?

Anyway, Robert: whcih "defects, ...poorly implemented part placements and other omissions" were required contractually required by Safir?

Last edited:

Mike

Lifetime Supporter
And this happened because Safir required it?
I don't recall if it was Safir or Shelby or who it was but yes. If you're truly interested in knowing the reasoning why don't you pick up the phone and call Lance. I'm sure he would explain it all to you.

Shelby has no input or control on GT40s. They didn't design or build them, they only raced them. They hold no rights to any GT40 trademarks or trade dress.

Mike

Lifetime Supporter
Who was it then? You're much more connected and in the know than I am. Lance talked about it when I spoke to him I simply don't recall. If Alan wants to know then he should call Lance too right Al?

Robert S.

GT40s Supporter
Back

I suspect the contractual details of the financial licensing fees and related costs and payment timing and methods were written in great detail because they are all very objective facts, and easy to detail in a document.

I believe the whole subject of precisely what size, material types, and brand names of fasteners to use was not detailed, nor was the brand or make of small brake fluid reservoirs, and other such components specified either. Attempting to list all of those precise products would be vastly difficult and real world circumstances change: makers of products change designs and companies go out of business. And, I know quite well you are smart enough to know all this!

So, I believe the essence of the consideration: Safir issues license to manufacture, and High Tech Automotive agrees to make the vehicle the same size, shape, and generally use like components and mount them in similar locations. It is obvious that Safir approved air conditioning units, and agreed that the car and components could be modified to meet certain codes to become licensed by states for street use, which would excuse certain changes over time, since various state laws evolve.

The subjective nature of an agreement to make a specific car as much like an original as possible is the prime directive to accomplish, but marketing strategies are also important for the affordability. And, while many of us would have appreciated more expensive components, in the end analysis if those were used, fewer of us would be able to own one of these very special cars.

That being said, I have NO idea whatsoever what your purpose or goal is, because if the car was made with the components and detail you would employ if you were the owner of the manufacturing company, then the cost would rise significantly. And, who does that benefit.

You should be writing and or calling High Tech, and make your suggestions about products to use known to them. Perhaps you could demonstrate to them that the products you located are superior to those being used, and cost the same or less. To whine, complain, and criticize the very car you own, on a forum with tens of thousands of viewers, accomplishes little other than to promote your ego, and provide a platform for you to maintain high visibility.

Robert S.

GT40s Supporter

Dear Robert

check out his website
Ford GT40 Restoration - Chassis 1076

scroll down the site to figure 22 and 23 and you can see exactly what this "rear top side"cutouts are meant for. Their purpose is to vent the wheelwells and relieve the hot air from braking. Also they will have some aerodynamic effect. on this original car #1076 there is no connection to the engine compartment ( as Scott pointed out correctly).

The center vent above the gearbox is modeled in a recess on most original cars. Most of us are using this recess for mounting the nump
berplate. On my car i do this as well, but i have opened it up behind and mounted the numberplate on spacers to vent hot air from the engine compartment. Never understood why SPF´s dont feature this original style recess.

TOM

Thanks Tom for the link and info. I'll view it with great interest. I appreciated your helpful, well intended comments. All good things, Robert

Robert S.

GT40s Supporter
Re: Dream or nightmare . . .

Well, you've almost failed in one of those struggles but it certainly looks different from any other SBF I've ever seen, and I suppose that in itself is an achievement.

Personally, I prefer patina and utilitarian to bling, as race cars have a beauty in their visual stark & functional simplicity, and your version will be one of a kind - no doubt.

Thank you sir for sharing your thoughts and ideas. I agree with your particular preferences, and I too have similar likes and desires. My biggest burden is often having too many choices, and too many favorites.

Up until the time came about, I previously NEVER EVER allowed myself to think I would ever be able to own such a car, and to also be able to guide it in various ways toward completion.

Thanks again, and I respect and enjoyed hearing your opinions, Robert

Robert S.

GT40s Supporter
I changed mine to solid mounts, too. The engine was lifting up over an inch under acceleration with the original motor mounts. I don' t notice any difference with vibration.

FWIW,
Kirby

Thanks Kirby, and sorry for the delay. I appreciated learning this from you, and I shall know now what to watch and listen for, and the correction to make. valuable knowledge. :thumbsup:

Cheers, Robert

Back