SPF #2285 Born, But Still Coming To Life

Robert S.

GT40s Supporter
SPF #2285 Engine and Trans Install

Engine/Trans installed. Working on oil gauge connections, throttle linkage, solving floor pedal cable kink issue, ECU harness connections, and in the middle of bundle-of-snakes header connections.

Had to return the custom made, highly polished, no weld seems visible, larger diameter headers I purchased four months ago, since they did not fit properly. So, we are installing the new original set for the short run, until we receive the custom set back from the fabricator in Michigan.

I acquired a whole set of eight of those miniature round air cleaners that sit upon their own flared velocity stacks, but we were just checking fitment, which is precise. Those air cleaners were carved in two pieces via CNC router from one large piece of billet aluminum and polished perfectly. I was surprised at their cost initially, since in the catalogs and on web sites they all look alike, but when you hold them in your hand and feel the weight, and you separate the velocity stacks from the cleaner body and see the detail, and the rubber 'O' ring gasket between them, you realize all air cleaners are not created equally.

Onward.

IMG_7569.jpgIMG_7570.jpgIMG_7571.jpg

Robert S.

GT40s Supporter
Rear clamshell fitment reply

Very nice! Have you tried to put the rear deck lid on yet?

Hi Jack!

We did set the rear clamshell on once the engine install was completed and intake installed. The only object that interfered a little with closing it were the two round banjo fittings on each side fuel rail. They just barely rubbed on the moulded fiberglass intake opening on the MKI. The correction was to cut a 1/2" wide half-circular piece out of each side of the formed opening - not noticeable unless you knew where to look. Otherwise, all other fitments appear to be okay so far.

Yesterday, I did pull the special side-draft intake manifold out from its container, and checked it out again. I took some video of it as well. I wanted to use that intake so badly, but there were fitment problems early on, and so I opted for the Weber look-alike EFI instead. And, I haven't regretted that decision. The side draft would have likely reduced the 690 H.P. by 10% or more, but the freekin' kuel factor would have been off-the-charts! I'll try to post that short video.

I never got around to mentioning this, but in early December I began the registration process here on the left coast, and soon after the Highway Patrol came to the shop to assign and install the vin number, the DMV ran out of SB100 numbers for the first time in several years. I did worry a bit about that event, but by Jan 2, the DMV assigned me a SB100 number, and thus far I cannot detect any compromise or negative ramifications from that sequence of events.

Cheers, Robert

Last edited:

Robert S.

GT40s Supporter
Engine Mounts

That is great that if fits with little modifications. Are you going to use solid motor mounts too?

No solid mounts. The mounts are cushioned. There may be some movement with high revs or torque, but we'll test it once it's running.

Pict of engine mount utilized below:

engine mount.jpg

Jack Houpe

GT40s Supporter
I use BB Cheby poly urethane mounts and there is very little movement, those should work but if it doesn't you'll have to make some solid mounts. Mike Trusty uses solid mounts and I really couldn't tell any difference in vibration.

Re: Power Isn't Everything

I would just say do as you desire, but always be a little weary of that darn, sometimes emotional aspect of the phrase the grass always looks greener.

...especially when you are sliding through it, backwards! :laugh:

I went for one ride with Jack Houpe, and he lightly romped on it in 2nd gear and we nearly went into the ditch on the OTHER side of the road. Luckily nobody was coming the other way when it happened.... :shocked:

331 for me too! Someday...still looking for that spare $100K needed to actually get myself a GT40 replica! :blank:

Robert S.

GT40s Supporter

...especially when you are sliding through it, backwards! :laugh:

Too much! Yea, Jack has come close to seeing the ghost on several occasions, and he's not a bit shy of sharing those religious experiences. I'm going to keep it all in mind when I lite-up the 445 rear tires!

Robert

Jack Houpe

GT40s Supporter

Too much! Yea, Jack has come close to seeing the ghost on several occasions, and he's not a bit shy of sharing those religious experiences. I'm going to keep it all in mind when I lite-up the 445 rear tires!

Robert
And they will!

331 is a perfect choice.

Kirby Schrader

They're mostly silver
Lifetime Supporter
I use BB Cheby poly urethane mounts and there is very little movement, those should work but if it doesn't you'll have to make some solid mounts. Mike Trusty uses solid mounts and I really couldn't tell any difference in vibration.

I changed mine to solid mounts, too. The engine was lifting up over an inch under acceleration with the original motor mounts. I don' t notice any difference with vibration.

FWIW,
Kirby

Jack Houpe

GT40s Supporter
I changed mine to solid mounts, too. The engine was lifting up over an inch under acceleration with the original motor mounts. I don' t notice any difference with vibration.

FWIW,
Kirby
I left the BBC motor mounts but put solid mounts to the transaxle also installed a support under the transaxle to limit the pressure put on the top cover of the ZF. Before I had done so I noticed where the poly bushings on the transaxle mount had been under stress with hard accelerations I expect.

Re: Realization of the Dream

First off I love your build thread. Your attention to detail is impressive. Take this for what it's worth but I think the GT 40 outlined in the metal mesh across the back looks out of place. One of the qualities of our cars is the looking through the back and seeing the mechanicals at work especially underway. That and with the "GT40" emblem just above it looks a tad redundant.

Rich.

Mike

Lifetime Supporter
Interesting topic. Late last summer I noticed that mine on hard acceleration would very briefly make some sort of squeak noise. For the life of me I could not figure out what it was. I phoned Dennis who as usual immediately identified the problem and said the engine was lifting slightly and causing the crank pulley to make contact with the firewall panel. He mentioned that he was working on an additional mount point for the transaxle that should solve the problem. I have been meaning to phone him with some other questions and ideas I'm having this winter and will follow up next week. Regarding the solid mounts. Can they be swapped in with the drivetrain in place with a floor crane?

Mike

Lifetime Supporter

First off I love your build thread. Your attention to detail is impressive. Take this for what it's worth but I think the GT 40 outlined in the metal mesh across the back looks out of place. One of the qualities of our cars is the looking through the back and seeing the mechanicals at work especially underway. That and with the "GT40" emblem just above it looks a tad redundant.

Rich.
I would think it would inhibit airflow and cooling as well? Looks trick but from and engineering perspective might not be advantageous.

Robert S.

GT40s Supporter
Dream or nightmare . . .

First off I love your build thread. Your attention to detail is impressive. Take this for what it's worth but I think the GT 40 outlined in the metal mesh across the back looks out of place. One of the qualities of our cars is the looking through the back and seeing the mechanicals at work especially underway. That and with the "GT40" emblem just above it looks a tad redundant. .02 Rich.

Rich, your thoughts are always much more valued by me than two cents. I agree I remain conflicted between two extremes: purity of heritage vs. struggle to avoid cookie-cutterness. And, that's not intended as a put down of those who admire originallity and purity.

This conflict with originallity began early on while deciding options for ordering the roller. My very first color choice would have been amoungst several: Sunset red metallic with the metallic or silver stripes, medium to dark metallic blue with silver or likely white stripes. However, I went with the Gulf Heritage over my preferences because I believed the Gulf speaks loudly of the tradition of the vehicle.

There were other such conflicting issues too, that cost me much more than it would have if I had gone with my own desires. One prime example is the wheels and tires. For tradition sake, I went with the 15" original stye wheels. However, because I desired the extra wide-body, the rear wheels cost nearly $5k more to fabricate to the wider width. Then, because there were no 15" tires that wide, special tires were needed with hand cut groves to meet the safety requirements. But, I certainly would have wanted to use 17" tires, and nice run-flat tires.

So, I believe I attempted to stay with tradition on the large scale items. I do have a tendancy to think out of the box, and to drift to extremes, perhaps, but all I can hope for is to receive input from folk like you and Mike, and attempt to balance it all out. However, in the long run, some of us try to add some individualism to our cars, and I only hope that others will cut me some slack as I travel down this winding, oft emotional journey towards completion - and hopefully, I'll live long enough to experience it. Thanks again, and all good things. Robert

Robert S.

GT40s Supporter

I would think it would inhibit airflow and cooling as well? Looks trick but from and engineering perspective might not be advantageous.

Mike, thanks for sharing your thoughts. I did give some consideration to air flow, and factored in the two openings I may cut at the top of the original spoiler area, as was depicted in my design. Perhaps they will release stagnant hot air that normally is trapped along that whole back section, and off-set any loss through the screens, but I dunno for sure. The design is evolving, but the time will soon come to decide. I did recently make the CAD drawing for the plates, and the tool paths too.

I took note of your early praises of Dennis, and remembered them. So, when the time came recently I purchased about $1200 of his parts. Have received only a portion of the order thus far, but the balance is in transit. So far, I am happy and satisfied, so I remain optimistic.

Thanks, Robert

Back