SPF #2285 Born, But Still Coming To Life

lol, some truth in that.
what would be handy with a GT40 are electric side mirrors, some use those...looks a bit modern but the 40 can handle that too, although it does not look so period.

Jim Craik

Lifetime Supporter
Gee... I thought that was a given around here.... So, the first time I go out of my may to avoid an argument I get one anyway.
Michael -- I really like your "period correct" rear diffuser.:lol:

Alan++++++++++++++1

I too used the cheap black ones, I got them from Summit Racing, I mounted them to the doors and I think they look great.

Mike

Lifetime Supporter
So, the first time I go out of my may to avoid an argument I get one anyway
Take it easy you'll survive ha. So you liked my diffuser? Working on some tweaks and cleaner mounting system. You'll really like the new one I promise! You weren't being sarcastic were you? :laugh:

I have installed large electric mirrors from a Chrysler Crossfire at the front lower corner of the side windows. They give GREAT vision to the rear. The only draw back is that they great a blind spot for side vision when looking at a ten o'clock direction.

Robert S.

GT40s Supporter
Clamshell Engine Opening Update & Engine Delivery

Referring back a couple of pages to several posts concerning intake fitment, I measured the width of the engine opening on the extra wide-body ('69 vintage) clamshell: 13 ¾.” We also verified the opening is in the center of the clamshell and not shifted to one side or the other.

The engine arrived yesterday 17 October, and upon measuring the width of the eight-stack at the widest point it was 13 1/2." The widest point is from the out-side banjo fuel fitting to the other outside banjo fuel fitting, so there may be an opportunity to change from banjo fittings to less wide fittings to reduce intake width.

In reviewing other posts that mentioned the possibility that the fiberglass portion of the engine opening may have to be cut, in looking at it again in person I could not help but ponder, so what. The lip along the edge is nicely rounded, but the subject cantilevered horizontal fiberglass section is well supported and cutting the lip would not make it sag or flimsy, and it should be easy enough to make it aesthetically pleasing. Is there another con I am failing to consider, if indeed, that engine surround sheet needs to be reduced by 1/2" on both sides?

Any additional worthy thoughts are encouraged. Thanks, Robert

engine2.jpgengine1.jpg

Robert S.

GT40s Supporter
Engine Build - High End Components

Several curious souls have contacted me privately to ask: Did I desire to buy those very extreme engine components, or did someone sell me on the idea I needed them? I was surprised, but once I thought it over the question seemed reasonable. The answer is neither.

Following one particular 14-week time-wasting adventure with an engine builder, I spent another three weeks attempting to locate another engine builder. My original target was 600 to 640 H.P., with a Dart block, and a few criticized that H.P. rating as overkill.

I did stumble onto an engine builder that had a 351w/427 640 H.P. crate engine package at the right price. However, like most things concerning these vehicles they wanted six weeks or so to build the engine and another week for shipping. I said I would consider it.

A few days later they contacted me and said they just had a custom engine build cancellation. The customer was in Australia, and the build ordered was for a 1200 H.P. twin turbo 351w/427. So, they said they kept his deposit and would make me a really special deal on the subject engine, which could be made ready in two weeks or less. I said I wanted the big Brodix heads polished, and they said they would have to change the cam grind.

I ended up with a World Man-O-War race engine block and all components engineered for 1200 H.P., for a song and dance, and that was an offer I could not refuse.

The engine was made ready and dynoed within three weeks - it took a week for head polishing - and shipping required only four week-days, just as promised.

Robert S.

GT40s Supporter
The Final Song Ain't Been Sung

mmm, looks/sounds, like a nice engine package.

Thanks for the encouraging words. However, I've been made real car-shy after several less than good experiences. Since the fat lady/fat man are still walking toward the microphone, I shall wait until their song is well over, and I drive this year-long project before I comment either way on the final outcome, and especially on all the vendors and suppliers. But I shall be fair and give them the praise or criticism they earned - nothing more and nothing less.

Cheers, Robert :thumbsup:

Jack Houpe

GT40s Supporter
I know I will turn the noses of many but if I had to do it all over again I would go with a small block Windsor 331 with about 400-450 max. I plan on changing my cam to drop 200 HP so I can live a little longer. I rode in Richards car for about 75 miles to and from Monterey year before last with his 331 and it was perfect and no surprises.

Robert S.

GT40s Supporter
Power Isn't Everything

Jack, One of the forum members mentioned months ago that you were seriously contemplating reducing your 600 plus H.P. engine. I believe they said you had a religious experience type of car event concerning power and navigation. I've looked before at your home page and I think you have numerous other race type cars. If I did not have my 2011 Z06/Z07 luxury performance car to romp around in, I too would have a less powerful engine in the GT40. But, mine is mostly for show, and so, well, numbers on the show cards speak volumes sometimes.

But that all being said, it is very difficult for one to know what one really needs, desires or should/should not have. The good news is that for many of us, there are hundreds of choices. The bad news is there are hundreds of choices for mirrors, engines, body colors, roundel numbers, decals and all the rest. I'm surprised many of us have managed to do so well with all the choices.

I would just say do as you desire, but always be a little weary of that darn, sometimes emotional aspect of the phrase the grass always looks greener. Ironically, that phrase is in direct contradiction to another phrase we sometimes fall victim to and that is the older we get, the less we are open to change. It's just more examples of mother nature's antics . . . :laugh:

Jack Houpe

GT40s Supporter
Re: Power Isn't Everything

Jack, One of the forum members mentioned months ago that you were seriously contemplating reducing your 600 plus H.P. engine. I believe they said you had a religious experience type of car event concerning power and navigation. I've looked before at your home page and I think you have numerous other race type cars. If I did not have my 2011 Z06/Z07 luxury performance car to romp around in, I too would have a less powerful engine in the GT40. But, mine is mostly for show, and so, well, numbers on the show cards speak volumes sometimes.

But that all being said, it is very difficult for one to know what one really needs, desires or should/should not have. The good news is that for many of us, there are hundreds of choices. The bad news is there are hundreds of choices for mirrors, engines, body colors, roundel numbers, decals and all the rest. I'm surprised many of us have managed to do so well with all the choices.

I would just say do as you desire, but always be a little weary of that darn, sometimes emotional aspect of the phrase the grass always looks greener. Ironically, that phrase is in direct contradiction to another phrase we sometimes fall victim to and that is the older we get, the less we are open to change. It's just more examples of mother nature's antics . . . :laugh:
You'll be fine, just remember all that torque and be careful, I had 3 times its blown out on me in 3rd in acceleration and took me about 30 minutes to calm down. I drive this car all the time, almost 10k on the clock and on a cold day rough roads its a handful. If I had a 3.07 ring and pinion that would help a lot but the 4.22 and all that motor is more than my ability to handle. They say just be careful with your foot but that what THEY say, sideways at 70 will wake you up and thats with avons. At 100 in 4th you can still feel the tires skipping. I'm to old and not a race car diver who knows how to handle that type of power, I have friends who can but not me. My religious experience was not with me in the car but a friend who was running a Keith Craft motor just like mine on a track in Moroso Fl in 1998, he punched it coming out of a flat corner in front of the pits and didn't back out in time, he went sideways into a concrete flagging podium, they cut him out of the car and he was in ICU for 2 weeks before he moved into our house in Florida keys, he looked like someone out of a horror movie with all the pins and cables sticking out of him. It took him several weeks to heal enough to travel back to his home in NJ. Ever since that time I can't run the ragged edge (not that I did before very well) so thats my story. Show and go you will be fine. When I am done changing everything it will look like a monster and be safe enough for an old man like me to drive. :)

Robert S.

GT40s Supporter
RBT ZF Trans

Trans being reassembled following lengthy difficult polishing project. I can't imagine how they accomplished this due to some grate-like surface areas.

RBTZFTRANSPOLISHED.jpg

Robert S.

GT40s Supporter

Very nice. What did they charge for the polish work?

Thanks. Haven't heard a word on that subject yet. But, it was a friend of a friend circumstance. I'm confident it will be a good experience.

How are your projects coming along - the surprise ones you mentioned following your last ride in the fall?

Robert

Robert S.

GT40s Supporter
You Can't Take It All With You . . .

So use it well before you lose it.

Amazing shot Alan! Seeing extremes always helps to readjust our point-of-view reference/valuation, so thanks for that.

My car registration process will begin today, 5 Dec. 2012, and once I gather more experience with the process I will post it onto the thread you started on that topic.

Lance from SPF hired a film crew recently to shoot video of his cars at various shops, including the shop mine is in. I was invited to be there, but had to work like a dog, since there’s no rest for the wicked. They plan to use the edited film on their web site and for publishing on the Internet.
Onward . . .

Back