SPF MKI, Bellhousings and all the other little stuff!

Well it happened, the engine went in Wed. night. Easiest install I’ve ever done. OK this is just picking up the engine and bolting it into the car. I did it by myself and only took about 20 min. That included the 5 min. it took to drill out the ZFQ’s mounting holes. For whatever reason they were smaller then the ½” I needed for the SPF cross member. The MSD e-Curve just did fit, it was very close.

I still need the correct headers (they supposedly shipped today from S.A.) and tons of plumbing and wiring but at least it’s getting closer.
I’m taking the 3rd to the 23rd off to work on the car and try and get it 1800 miles east to Road America. Let’s see 1800 miles in a buckboard with a bad back????? I guess the settelers did it, but they were made of better stuff then I am and most of them were not 60 years old.

By the way my engine is having something of an identity problem. It can’t seem to make up its mind as to what valve cover it wants to wear to the big event. I’m tending towards the old school look but it take a lot of grinding on the inside of the covers to make them fit. Well back to work.

Attachments

• IMG_4507.JPG
    IMG_4507.JPG
    140.6 KB · Views: 318
  • IMG_4508.JPG
    IMG_4508.JPG
    140.8 KB · Views: 296
  • IMG_4509.JPG
    IMG_4509.JPG
    153 KB · Views: 254
  • IMG_4511.JPG
    IMG_4511.JPG
    142.3 KB · Views: 249
  • IMG_4515.JPG
    IMG_4515.JPG
    156.7 KB · Views: 322
  • IMG_4516.JPG
    IMG_4516.JPG
    156.1 KB · Views: 272
  • IMG_4520.JPG
    IMG_4520.JPG
    112.8 KB · Views: 272
  • IMG_4521.JPG
    IMG_4521.JPG
    113.2 KB · Views: 293
  • IMG_4517.jpg
    IMG_4517.jpg
    27.1 KB · Views: 274
Last edited:

Rick Muck- Mark IV

GT40s Sponsor
Supporter
By the way my engine is having something of an identity problem. It can’t seem to make up its mind as to what valve cover it wants to wear to the big event. I’m tending towards the old school look but it take a lot of grinding on the inside of the covers to make them fit. Well back to work.

Actually the FAV cars used the plain tin covers with breathers. If you have a clearance issue with the cast covers due to roller rockers you can get a 1/4" spacer for them. They shoiuld still clear the bundle of snakes OK.

Look forward to seeing you and P2197 at Elkhart....

Last edited:
Hi Richard

good job mate, I just love to see a nice installation especially when a ZFQ is part of it. You could always top your engine off with Weslake valve covers? I will see you at Elkhart Lake

Regards

Chris.
PS. Your interactive ZFQ service manual.

Back