Superlite GTA

Patience grasshopper....

We are designing and building a package that need to be a "no brainer"...and as such it needs full development

Oh yeah I couldnt imagine the amount of hours in R&D alone you and your team have in one car alone!! Definitely dont cut corners, that's why you have this cult like following haha, it's 100 times better than other shops..

Even if Fran can't share any information at the time, I think we need to keep this thread active. There are so many DTM-experienced guys on this thread and I enjoy just reading what you guys have to say.

Let me ask this, when looking for a donor, how important in the engine to you? Whatever I build, I would prefer a fresh engine rebuilt from ground up.

Mr. Wolfe

I wouldn't hold it to just one car. I would think i would buy 2 DSMs if I had to. I would buy one for the cleanest rust free body and interior for one. Then I would browse the forums for someone that would have done all the engine work but in a crappy chassis to get the best of both worlds if that makes sense.

If I could find one with a mint interior, sure, I would love that. I think the chances are low and I am figuring on reupholstering everything or using racing seats.

Mr. Wolfe

I've come across several decent looking 2G DSM with good interiors but mediocre running gear for really good prices. If there were more information out there, I could see myself already pulling the trigger then started reupholstering the interior. I just need to see some more detail.

Greg, same here. I would gut and redo the drivetrain without a question. I'm thinking a 500-600 whp compound turbo build though. Depending on what the final weight comes out to though, that may be borderline unstreetable in which case 400 would be plenty.

Is it just me or does the Apex seem to draw a lot from the C7 vette? Not that that's at all a bad thing.

Is it just me or does the Apex seem to draw a lot from the C7 vette? Not that that's at all a bad thing.

You could say that about the latest ferraris, vipers, etc etc etc. All the headlights on those cars are damn near the same. I think we are in for a boring decade of production "super" cars. To be honest, I haven't liked a Ferrari design in the last 20 years.

The Falcon rear end is one of the best rear ends I've seen in a long time. I think he struck a perfect balance of size/shape for that car.

288 GTO inspired...so not too shabby of a car to use for inspiration...

The Falcon chassis and suspension package is not too bad either..

I browsed the dsmtuners forums and found that the long block is right at about 300-320 pounds. Adding all of the sensors, manifolds, turbo pieces puts the engine in the neighborhood of 420-480 pounds. The transmission is about 150 pounds. These are all dry weights.

Sorry, I just noticed these numbers... They are way off! 4G63 with stock turbo, cast exhaust manifold and a sheet metal intake is 250lbs! (Not counting alternator or PS)

Flywheel/Clutch 12-20lbs

Tranny: AWD 130lbs / FWD 110lbs

This project would ether use a FWD tranny or AWD tranny modified to remove AWD parts (thus weight closer to FWD).

So we are talking about total weight of around 380lbs! Far cry from 630lbs mentioned above!

I don't see how a 4G63 can be that light. The SR20det is an aluminum block and unlike the 4g63, does not have balance shafts (14lbs of spinning mass), and it comes in at 315lbs.

The 4g63 is a very stout block, it's damn near bullet proof. Just the block and crank weigh in at 150lbs. You add the rest of the rotating assembly, heads, accessories, fluids, flywheel, clutch, manifolds and all the other bits and you can see adding another 200lbs or more to it quite easily.

Back