Superlite Roadster....

Brian Hamilton

I'm on the verge of touching myself inappropriatel
NSX, most overrated sports car EVER! They are beautiful cars, I'll give ya that. BUT, that's about all they have going for them. They handle OK, but lack the all important POWA!! I've seen some impressive ones locally that are twin turbo'd or have a whipple supercharger on them. Those are impressive. I do dig the 6-speed gearbox though...

Yeah, unless you just lucked into a good deal on a totalled NSX, it probably makes no sense. Decent cars seem to still be going for into the $20's, so I can't imagine it would be worth it to part one out just for the drivetrain.

There are plenty of Honda based options with plenty of power available for not a ton of money basically built fresh for the tuner market. Or just go with a turbo Ecotec. It's fun to dream up combos that are interesting, but it's hard to beat some of the more "run of the mill" stuff out there now...

--Donnie

Hey Bill,
I used to race 1/8th scale gas R/C as a kid before they got too expensive (read full suspension).....then I roadraced motorcycles for 20 years..... because R/C was not keeping me in enough debt (lol). Now on to RCR for the same reason (chuckle).

Others, be carefull with the NSX cracks as Ive owned one for the last 9 years. But I agree they are underpowered and under braked, other than that they are fantastic cars :)

Last edited:
Mesa,
I built some 1/8 off road buggy cars for a friend (Thunder Tiger brand). I never owned the 1/8 scale variety, but had lots of fun with the 1/10 road cars, DTM racers, and buggies. The buggy cars were the most reliable, but the DTM had a 2 speed trans, dual disc brakes, full suspension, and a slightly oversized motor. That thing hauled. But the boats were by far the most fun, with run time / maintenance at least 4:1.
I almost always used Thunder Tiger engines,and they were superior in my experience.
Now moved on to bigger toys, starting with the Ferrari, then adding the Ginetta, and now an RCR Superlite Roadster. I think that should be plenty for me.
BT

NSX, most overrated sports car EVER! They are beautiful cars, I'll give ya that. BUT, that's about all they have going for them. They handle OK, but lack the all important POWA!! I've seen some impressive ones locally that are twin turbo'd or have a whipple supercharger on them. Those are impressive. I do dig the 6-speed gearbox though...

Easy there Brian..... I have one and its not overrated at all, sure it has less power than most but it also never breaks down and can truly hold its own. Is it the best? Absolutely not, but it is good ;)

I never get offended by comments about a car, its just a hunk of metal but I need to stick up for my NSX even it it only has a measly 290 hp.

I am fully impressed with the NSX. It would be hard to justify getting an engine from one for an SL-R. I have a few friends with NSX's and they are fast, quick, good looking, confortable, and very reliable. The Long Beach Blue is one of the best paint colors I have ever seen on any car.
Remember they came out with the design in 1991, and only made slight changes over a 15 year period. That speaks well for the foresight of the original design to me!
BT

Brian Hamilton

Well I kinda like the NSX, they're beautiful cars. BUT, as you said, underpowered and underbraked. How can it be a supercar when it lacks the 2 main features that really define a supercar? Well, I guess they're not supercars, they are sports cars. Blah blah blah. LOL They are nice cars, beautiful cars, but they need more balls. LOL If Honda had created a street V8 and stuffed it in the back of that thing... WOW. But they put an Accord V6 back there. I mean come on!!! Hehe But, I'm one of the people who thinks more power is more better!!!
All that aside, I'd bet that NSX does handle pretty well, otherwise they wouldn't base a JGTC car off it. I guess it's an OK car once I really think about it, but it needs more power!!!!

If light is the name of the game have a look at a VW. I have one I used from my off road racer. 200+ hp and tons of torque. I was told 300 ft lbs. It is very light and compact. 2670cc, porshe heads, billet crank, dry sump, MOTEC fuel injected.
The Toyota 3sgte is an excellent engine also. Has piston squirters, yamaha head, very strong. I got rid of stock restrictive exhaust manifold and put on a garret gt bb turbo. Very strong bottom end. I put in forged pistons just to handle any detonation issues. Head and cams stock. Run 16 lbs of boost all day long. TRD said do nothing other than what I did internal and can easily get 450 to 500 hp. I went for a smaller turbo to get on the boost quicker. It would come on boost loading it on the trailer.

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
Peter Cunningham's RealTIme NSX was no slouch in the Speed World Challenge GT class. He left me in the dust with my All American V8 Camaro...
nsx-rt2.jpg

20010316-speedvision.jpg

With the Comptech supercharger he added later on, that car (coupled with his talent)was virtually unbeatable..

Brian Hamilton

OK OK OK!!

I'm a jerk, sorry what I said about the NSX! PLEASE DON'T KILL ME!!! LOL Didn't realize you all loved them so much. I take it all back!! Hehe

Laters,

Brian

He feels like Eddie Murphy described in that old comedy bit. If that master told me to go pick the cotton, I'd tell that master to %^$&$ @#%^#@^, then get in my Lincoln and drive off!

Just joking anyway Fran!

I went by the auto body shop this afternoon to discuss the paint scheme and I think I have a plan. Is the sixth color choice yellow-green, or is it yellow OR green?

Do you like the engine I sent over?
Any pics?

:D
BT

Back