T70 barn find ?

Thanks for the posting info Lee, I'm reading it the second time.
Ron, I sent you a photo of the coop.
Thanks !

Jim, are you saying I should actually vomit because it is a Marauder, or just dry heave a little because it is perhaps a marauder body ? Still, at least it is not a Delorean ! (no offense to any Delorean owners out there )

No chassis def. not Marauder which is what's important. Cut that hump off and you'll be fine. Are you going to restore as a spyder or coupe? Does paperwork sugest a chassis # ?

I've seen photos of original Lolas with double humps ...I'll
try to locate magazines/dates/issues.
GREAT find ! Looking forward to more details.

MikeD

I'm restoring it as a Spyder, but only restoring as required to do easy laps or a trip to the store. I am not going to race it competitively because it would run in the same group as my Can Am cars from the mid to late seventies and not even be close to being quick enough for that group.This car has solid rotors, the older style uprights, etc. and I mostly see driving it around for fun rather than race it. I intend to take the coupe (from the coop) and put it on a replica chassis I have and perhaps race that !
The history folder shows it being converted to a coupe. It does have a number. I must resolve a couple of questions to my own satisfaction that will make me as sure as possible that the number goes with this car, but I will say that an "expert " has looked at the car and confirmed it as recorded in the history folder. The chain of ownership is unbroken.
It's not that I don't believe it, but more that I can't believe it.
This car was in a barn, but the owner knew what he had. He just lost interest in it. He had a problem with the fuel cell foam clogging up the fuel system the first time he drove the car. It was disassembled and never driven again.
That was around 1980....!

I just want to clarify that I am not representing the bodywork to be original. Heck, I'm not representing anything to be anything, other than whatever it is.
The pedals have been moved on the tub, either to accomodate a taller driver, or to make the car left hand drive. They are now moved back to right hand drive.
The tires are Goodyear Blue streak, but in a tread pattern no longer available.They have a 1978 date code. They are as hard as tank treads, but new. Pretty neat !

Jim ,
The blue spyder is my replica T70 . It won the British Sportscar Championship in 1991.It was made by "Heritege engineering".It used to belong to Dr. Bob Sparks in the UK.It used to be light blue with the number 23 on it. It is now kitted out as a Sunoco car.I'll probably install the coupe body on that chassis. The picture was taken last week in front of my garage. I've been trying to find a set of wheels for it. That's how I found the Lola tub. I called my friend that owned the car to ask if he had an extra set of wheels. He said only if I wanted the car to go with them. I have tried to buy this car for many years now.
Finally ....success.

Thanks all !
If anyone wants to know what I know about the car's history,......opps - scratch that,
If anyone wants to know what I've been told and shown about the car's history, all you have to do is promise not to roast me if it turns out to be untrue in some way. I don't want to mis-represent the car.
I could give hints....
hint #1,
The Bartz brothers did the conversion from spyder to coupe.They were pilots or had a hanger in Arizona in the late 70's, early eighties .
Unfortunately (or perhaps fortunately ) they used an old spyder with rotton fuel cell foam.

Jim

My apologies. The pictures I was referring to were also
from a converted spyder chassis done by the Bartz brothers!
I assume they purchased their bodies from Randy Berry.
The Road and Track issue is April 1984.

Mike D

Attachments

• 58298-Lolamagazine.JPG
    58298-Lolamagazine.JPG
    116.9 KB · Views: 1,760
Back