Team 40 to NZ

Keith

Nice one Ross - spotted a couple of podiums in there. What on earth is an "IROC" 911 though? 4 secs a lap quicker than you at times...

I also take my hat off to Jack Ondrack who definitely wins the "Best Exposure to Sponsors" cup with so many entries, plus his ability to fool the scrutineers into passing off his TVR Tuscan as a "Classic Saloon" one minute and a Sports Car the next! He wasn't the only one mind, I would never have said an X19 was a saloon car either. :stunned:

It looked a great classic weekend though and at least you are going to bring back some silverware for your efforts!

Keith,
IROC was a series (International Race of Champions) pitted professional drivers from all areas (NASCAR/INDY) together in a race with the same model of car. GM built the IROC Camaro as did Porsche some 911 IROC model cars for this race series. It was to promote racing.
Good work Ross.
Dave

Keith

Hi Dave, yes I was aware of the moniker IROC having owned the Penske built 1977 Camaro chassis #18 driven by Al Unser Snr, imported and raced with interesting effect here in the UK.

What I was totally unaware of is that Porsche supplied cars for one of those years - I always thought the series was to promote US Iron and seeing as how it was (at least in my day) exclusively fought out on ovals, one can't help but wonder how/why Porsche were ever involved. I would like to learn more, but don't wish to taint the thread any further, so, any answers please start a new thread in this Forum Section (Race Track) Thanks... :)

I also take my hat off to Jack Ondrack who definitely wins the "Best Exposure to Sponsors" cup with so many entries, plus his ability to fool the scrutineers into passing off his TVR Tuscan as a "Classic Saloon" one minute and a Sports Car the next!

He also managed to 'pass it off ' as a 'Super Tourer' at the first round [Christchurch/Powerbuilt Raceway] , but as only one car ( Grellet, BMW M3 ) was able to match him enthusiasm to have the TVR compete within this class in later rounds seemed to diminish for some obscure reason. :):) I should point out that the man simply loves racing, would probably even enter a single seater race ( with the TVR ) if allowed purely for the extra track time. Quite frankly, I think most of the crew are glad he cannot, with short duration races there is barely time to refuel etc & when Joseph Lucas [one of the less endearing features of a TVR ] throws the towel in, life gets a bit stressfull! Two 50+ gents in the cramped cockpit, one working under the dashboard on wiring & the other threaded thru the cage to reach the fuel pumps etc was not an ideal way to spend sundays lunch break!!

Last edited:

Russ Noble

GT40s Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Ross,

You need to take a heat gun & scraper to your tyres, why are you running around on other peoples spent rubber ?

Iain

Now that I know him better, I know the answer to that one is that he would rather be wearing out someone elses rubber first :rolleyes: :lol: ;)

However, today he has been cleaning up his tyres, the car, and everything else, tools, spares etc. It is necessary to remove all traces of dirt and vegetation from EVERYTHING before he can return the car to Aussie. Their border security are paranoid about the accidental importation of nasties from overseas. NZ has similar worries and precautions.

Below we see Ross out with the scrubbing brush, cleaning off his wheels. Not the sharpest knife in the draw sometimes.......;) What's that big green thing behind you Ross? Yes, you've come to the right place, it's a 4000psi waterblaster! Now isn't that much quicker and easier? :pepper:

Sorry Ross, I just couldn't resist setting you up for that one! :lol:

It's nearly all over now as the car gets loaded into the container tomorrow. I have had an absolutely wonderful time doing the circuits with Ross, he really is a great guy and we have a lot in common. I'll be sad to see him go.

Attachments

• cleanup0146.JPG
    cleanup0146.JPG
    83 KB · Views: 365
  • cleanup0148.JPG
    cleanup0148.JPG
    80.1 KB · Views: 341

Ross Nicol

GT40s Supporter
Thanks for the support guys. I've just got into work this morning after flying home to Melbourne last night. I'll post my report from last weekend soon.
Ross:thumbsup:

Dave Lindemann

Lifetime Supporter
Ross -

Very nice write up - and we even get to learn a little more about you. I'm glad everything went well for you and the '40, must have been fun!

Regards,
Dave L

Pete McCluskey.

Lifetime Supporter
Nice write up Ross, sounds like you had a top time over there. Hopefully
I'll catch you in Pete's bar at the AGP fo a coldie or three.

Malcolm

Supporter
Hi Ross

Only just picked up on this thread. Don't know how it missed my radar but it sounds like you have had one heck of a good tour! Most envious. Well done. Unlikely to be doing much or any racing myself this season so do tell all your experiences this year, it will keep the juices flowing.

Ross Nicol

GT40s Supporter
Thought I would post a New Zealand map before I do my final report from Invercargill. The Island at the top is the North Island and lower Island is the South Island where the three race meetings I raced at are located. The first meeting was in Christchurch about 1/2 way down on the East Coast. The 2nd meeting in Timaru still on the East Coast and 2hrs south of Christchurch. The final meeting was in Invercargill right at the bottom on the South Coast. Jac Mac lives in Gore which is 1/2 an hour north of Invercargill.

Attachments

• new-zealand-map2.jpg
    new-zealand-map2.jpg
    26.3 KB · Views: 310

Ross Nicol

GT40s Supporter
Race Report from final round Teretonga Park in Invercargill
-------------------------------------------------------
We left Timaru heading South down the East coast and called on Cheryl's brother and his wife in a small farming town called 'Waimate'. Waimate has a motor racing history as they ran street races there quite a few years ago and plans are in place to run them again in the near future. Travelling on we passed through Oamaru, had lunch in Palmerston and watched a procession of Morgan sports cars doing some kind of Targa rally. They looked quite strange with suitcases and belongings attached in places that spoiled the cars shape somewhat. Just before Dunedin there is a range of steep hills called the 'Kilmog'. I remember them well, when our family travelled from Invercargill to Timaru for a holiday in our Morris 12. Loaded down with 4 kids, 2 Adults, a huge tent and all the camping equipment, it was 1st gear over these hills, which seemed to add hours to the trip. Anyone who thinks a Range Rover towing a race car over this torrain is going to be economical on fuel...., think again, anyway we rolled down the other side into Dunedin a very hilly city where my parents spent the final years of their life. We had organized to stay the night with Brian and Carmen Stewart and I rang Brian who came in his XR6 Falcon (good Ford Man) to guide us to his home which turned out to be a stately mansion. A refurbished older home once owned by a local brewing family. The bedroom Cheryl and I had for the night was huge and we enjoyed having lots of room.
Brian showed me a lot of the parts he has collected for his build and I was later able to view his car being assembled in Invercargill by David Brown. Next day and on the road again to travel down to Invercargill. I had to take a fair amount of 98 unleaded race fuel in 20 litre cans as there was none available in In'gill. I miscalculated the fuel requirement for the Range Rover and it ran out just north of Gore and I had to pour in some of my valuable race fuel grrr. Russ had described where Jac Mac lived and I was looking out for his driveway when I noticed a large sign which I could only read the word TVR. Anyway I thought that must be his place We'll get some fuel and come back. When we returned the sign was gone and we crawled up the steep drive lined with large thistles and cow pats. Ah there he is Jac Mac smiling as usual and asking if I'd seen the sign. Apparently it made some reference to TVRs beating GT40s but you always know this man will take the P..s out of you at any opportunity, great fun.
After a tour of Jac Macs workshop and grounds (yes I can confirm he does have too many projects) and a cuppa we headed off to Invercargill. Being Tuesday I had some time before friday practice to visit some of my old haunts including E Hayes and Sons where Burt Munro' bikes are on display.
Onto friday and we collected the 40 from it's temp storage. Invercargill is a small city and the trip to Teretonga Park only takes about 10 minutes from city centre. The weather wasn't good for the weekend but it was still dry when I went out for my first run. The car felt good and it was nice to finally be on a track with a nice flow to it and a long straight to get up some speed. The learning curve here wasn't to be as steep either as I drove here way back in 1971 and the layout is still the same.
Saturday and the weather prediction proved accurate. Rain rain rain. Russ Noble had arrived to pit crew and immediately he prepared and fitted the wets which were to see their first use in NZ. Sat morning qualifying turned out a bit of a farce as the TVR had died on the straight and the yellow flags were out. Then came a red flag which was due to a Lotus Elan in trouble around the loop. On the final lap The car in front decided to pit and I gunned it for the line. Turns out that was a good move as I qualified on pole.
First race on Sat arvo and I was out in front for quite a few laps before the TVR shot past and Later I lost 2nd to the pesky P..... yes the IROC one. With the long straight though I was able to get alongside him down the straight however I finished in 3rd with no more than a metre in it.
2nd race Sun Morning and the TVR failed again in much the same place as it had yesterday. Anyway this was the opportunity that I wasn't going to throw away. I decided pretty early I would settle for a solid 2nd instead of pushing for first and that is how the race ended, my first 2nd placing in New Zealand.
3rd race Sun arvo track still wet but not quite as bad as in the morning.
I was given 3rd starting position which surprised me a bit as normally in OZ with progressive grids the TVR would have had to start off the rear. Anyway I don't think it would have altered the result much. The TVR was back to fine form and cleared out, leaving the P... and myself to fight for 2nd and 3rd. On the 2nd lap it was side by side down the straight but as he had the inside line I pulled back in behind him for the loop (sweeper). He pulled a gap on me but I had intentions for the final lap. When the board came out and I knew I had better grip than he in certain places. I came into the final corner (elbow) as close to him as I dared. His inside line forced me to take the outside line but I gunned it and as we crossed the start/finish I almost had him. Oh well it was another third and I was to finish with a car in one piece. Can't be too bad.
Felt some relief having got through 3 race meetings in 3 weeks during the pack up which took some time. Said goodbyes and shot off to a meal and an early night before the long return trip back to Christchurch the next day. At least the wet weather left me with some left over race fuel which offset the Range Rovers thirst on this trip.

Ross Nicol

GT40s Supporter
Thanks for that info Craig I'll just copy the article here and then it does'nt matter if the rotters remove their article.

Local returns with a fancy car

19 Feb 2009
By Lindsay Beer
Former Invercargill man Ross Nicol laughs when he says he is keen to better his best ever lap time at Teretonga Park when he competes at the Leitch Motorsport/Southland Times Classic SpeedFest this weekend.

Nicol, now resident in Melbourne, left Invercargill in 1974 and last raced at Teretonga in 1971. At that time he was racing a Ford Anglia. When he returns this weekend he will be at the wheel of a Ford GT40 Replica. Beating the Anglia's best times around the 2.6 kilometre circuit should not be a problem for him.

Ford GT40's won the Le Mans 24 Hour race four times from 1966 until 1969 and the New Zealand link is strong with kiwi drivers Bruce McLaren and Chris Amon winning the 1966 race with the other great New Zealand Formula 1 driver of the time, Denny Hulme second in a 1-2-3- finish for Ford.

Nicol was born and bred in the south. He attended North School, Rosedale Intermediate and then James Hargest High School before taking up an electrical apprenticeship with H Shuttleworth in Invercargill. He later spent 18 months as a maintenance sparky at the Tiwai Point Aluminium Smelter before moving north to Christchurch in 1974. There he got a job touring New Zealand for the next eighteen months in a band. Five more years in Christchurch followed before he moved to Melbourne in 1990. There, he became involved in his own business, hiring, selling and repairing PA, sound and lighting systems.

In 1999 in what he describes as a "midlife crisis" he got back into motorsport with a Datsun 240Z and soon after began his GT40 project, building up a replica of the famous Le Mans winning car of the mid to late 1960's. Why such an exotic car? "I have always fancied good looking sports cars," comes the reply.

A chassis and bodywork was procured and the car was built. The spaceframed GT40 replica is fitted with a Ford 302 engine and runs a ZF transaxle. The GT40 has been up and running since 2003 and now it is due to make it's first appearance at Nicol's old stomping ground.

There is lttle doubt he will beat his old lap times this weekend and also little doubt that his latest car will attract a lot more attention in the pits this weekend than the old Anglia ever did.

Nicol will compete in the Turntru Machining Sports Car races against marques such as Lotus, TVR and Jaguar.

The action begins at 10am on both Saturday and Sunday this weekend and discounted weekend tickets for the Leitch Motorsport/Southland Times Classic SpeedFest are available from Auto Centre in Tweed Street, Invercargill until Friday. Tickets purchased at the gate over the weekend cost $10 for a Saturday pass, $15 for a Sunday pass or $20 for a weekend pass.
BACK

I know it needs a pic but you've seen a few of my car at Phillip Island already.

Your wish is my command Master Nicol. Are these OK.
1. Ross trying to explain to Jack Ondrack why all those trumpets are just for looks!:)
2. Russ Noble catching his breath after pushing car to Dummy Grid.
3. Ross with his trophy.
4. Mixed fields make for some interesting speed differentials!!

Last edited:
great showing all round guys. I was at Ruapuna and Levels and they were great weekends. hey Jac, did i detect a change to the front uprights on the TVR. werent they Pomme ford a couple of years ago ?? you had best tidy up some of your projects if you're to get the Race mtr and diff done for Rob before next season huh. regards steve

great showing all round guys. I was at Ruapuna and Levels and they were great weekends. hey Jac, did i detect a change to the front uprights on the TVR. werent they Pomme ford a couple of years ago ?? you had best tidy up some of your projects if you're to get the Race mtr and diff done for Rob before next season huh. regards steve

No Steve, your mistaken , other than a couple of minor alterations to uprights to reduce scrub radius & improve caliper mount stability nothing has changed.

As you well know other peoples needs will see my projects slide further down the pecking order, thats why your Lola will race in the geriatric class alongside mine, I have a plan for wheelchair access if you need it!!:)

thanks, must have been another TVR of the same model i saw at a Sports Car Technite a while ago, had Seira uprights and an ls1 with the inlet manifold reversed (same as mine ). now Rob does a very good Stairlift that could be modified for the atter purpose. cheers steve. PS Just welded a pair of Daimler Heads, all the waterways corroded out to the gasget seal line. pig of a job, takes at least three goes at it to burn out the rust contamination, then you can get a clean run deposited. well, someone has to do it . ten hr. job, start to finish.

Back