The Ashes 2010

David Morton

Lifetime Supporter
Maybe Ponting should have kept Johnson. Doesn't bode well does it Pete?

:lol:

I live in a place called Little Marlow and our Cricket team have better innings than Australia had yesterday -:dead: and the matches only last one day.

Lets hope our local ace and the England team (Strauss is our local ace - he used to live in Ealing but now lives across the road in Pump Lane) can dominate.:pepper:

Nice one David.

Ponting is heavily under the pump now - I imagine the Aussie tabloids will crucify him.

We need to put on a decent 4-500 runs now and keep the pressure on.

COME ON ENGLAND :):):)

Pete?
Hello?
Sky News saying its the worst performance by an Australian side in sixty years.
Are you there Pete?

David,

I think you'll find that Pete is otherwise indisposed doing either:-

A) Crying into a tinny
B) Crying into a pint
or
C) Crying into a nice bottle of Barolo

Mind you, as the great sage Geoffrey Boycott has oft been heard to say "Don't judge a side until both teams have got through the first innings..."

I HOPE that this post doesn't put the "commentators curse" on our boys. I plan to get up at around 3-4 O'clock to watch the play...

David Morton

Lifetime Supporter
Yes indeed, lets see how the England team fare in the next session. I fancy a score of 500+ but it could go horribly wrong. But a ball isn't new for all that long so Bollinger might have only a short time ie not have the advantage for very long - thats if Ponting puts him in to bowl.

Yes indeed, lets see how the England team fare in the next session. I fancy a score of 500+ but it could go horribly wrong. But a ball isn't new for all that long so Bollinger might have only a short time ie not have the advantage for very long - thats if Ponting puts him in to bowl.

Couldn't agree with you more. Test cricket can change in the blink of an eye, as you know. We need to book in for Bed and Breakfast at the crease and take the game away form our antipodean chums if we can...

Still not a fan of the Kookaburra ball though...

David Morton

Lifetime Supporter
The 500+ I suggested seems to be on the cards. I certainly hope so.
My questions are mainly of Ponting and his decision process.
Why did he not take the new ball immediately when he could?
His sides ability was being soundly tested and he clearly needed a change in tactics.
That change should have only been to pace bowling as everyone in his side was clearly sonambulant and the batsmen were getting towards the end of their day in the warm climate. It might have the home teams spirits to have got another scalp before stumps.
It may be time for Ponting to step aside.

How about this scenario - After the draw that was Brisbane, the tourists take every remaining test ? I discussed this with my eldest daughter this morning after stumps and I suggested we should be magnanimous and the English side allowed them to have at least one but she said "No way. They wouldn't. This is the Ashes we are discussing " so the scenario is after the draw then a whitewash.

Last edited:
David,

I think that "Punter" Ponting is a great leader, but a poor tactician...
He has been a hugely succsessful captain over the years, but I tend to agree with you. This will probably be his last major campaign, and then he'll retire I would think.

As to the whitewash - BRING IT ON :laugh::laugh::laugh:

David Morton

Lifetime Supporter
When Cook sent Doherty for three consecutive boundaries it said everything and almost said how much contempt Cook has for the Australian bowlers.
I can almost imagine Ponting ringing Glen and Shane after the second day and bringing them on tomorrow as blood substitutes. Listening to the second day on the radio was brilliant. I hate paying Sky's Rupert Murdoch for anything and besides, the picture on B.B.C.'s Test Match Special is so much better.
Day three? A Declaration I think.

David Morton

Lifetime Supporter
Considering the number of Australians on gt40s.com web site, I would have thought
some banter or even light hearted jibing would not have gone amiss. Is this
really so bad? I'm really hoping that England get a bit of real opposition for day three
and it doesn't really end up very one sided.

Ah the thought of a one-sided Ashes series in favour of England............ Who said the age of miracles was past? :)

How about this scenario - After the draw that was Brisbane, the tourists take every remaining test ? I discussed this with my eldest daughter this morning after stumps and I suggested we should be magnanimous and the English side allowed them to have at least one but she said "No way. They wouldn't. This is the Ashes we are discussing " so the scenario is after the draw then a whitewash.

I do like your daughter - such sense and clear thinking :thumbsup:

David Morton

Lifetime Supporter
Just a brilliant brilliant session by the tourists.
Stilll no declaration so I can only assume Strauss will either declare overnight or keep the misery for Australia going and get a few more in the opening hours on day 4 and then declare. This will leave Ponting's chaps shooting the breeze on the remainder of day 4 but also means no chance of batting on into day 5.
Will it rain continue overnight and into day 4 and will it change the pitch? A possibility but a new ball will be largely unaffected assuming pace bowling.

Last edited:
Forgive my ignorance but i am still learning the tactics of 5 day matches, do we not have to declare to give them a fair chance of being beaten, sorry, making a total. Else are we not in danger of a draw as the game runs out of time.

We are in our first innings, so is it that we build a huge total and then bowl them out in their second innings before end of 5th day or at the least needing a handful of runs in our second.

My father-in-law has explained the swing of the ball (atmospheric conditions, reverse swing and that an old ball is good for spinners, need to research off-break).

Should be going to the Wasps vs Exeter Rugby game at Wycombe today but 1 poorly kid and the other has a birthday party, and its a little too cold me thinks to see Wasps lose to Exeter new boys again

An overnight declaration seems the best option to me. Give us plenty of time to bowl the Aussies out.

What do you think Pete?

And David, you're right - where's the banter from the boys from Down Under? :shocked:

Nice to see Petersen put his ego to one side. Having done that, he batted probably his best innings to date. Nice one boys!!!!

David Morton

Lifetime Supporter
Tony , Here is some information:

A Test match may end in one of six scenarios:
  • All four innings have concluded. The winners are the team with the higher aggregate run total, and the winning margin is the difference between the two teams’ run totals (for example, "Team A win by 140 runs").
  • All four innings have concluded with the scores tied. To be tied, the aggregate run total of each team must be equal. However, such an occurrence is rare; in over 1,900 Test matches played only two have been tied.
  • The team batting in the fourth innings overtake the opposing team's run total. The match ends immediately and the batting team are the winners. The winning margin is the number of wickets remaining in the innings (for example, "Team B win by five wickets").
  • The third innings concludes with the team that batted twice still trailing the team that batted once. The match ends without playing a fourth innings and the team that batted once are the winners. The winning margin is "an innings" plus the difference in aggregate run totals of the teams (for example, "Team B win by an innings and 96 runs").
  • The match is awarded due to forfeiture. If a team refuse to take the field of play, the umpires may award the match to the opposing team.<SUP id=cite_ref-14 class=reference>[15]</SUP> Such an occurrence has only happened once in Test cricket, in the 2006 Fourth Test between England and Pakistan, when Pakistan refused to take the field after tea on day four. The umpires awarded the match to England, in accordance with Law 21.3, a decision ultimately (in 2009) upheld by the ICC.<SUP id=cite_ref-15 class=reference>[16]</SUP><SUP id=cite_ref-16 class=reference>[17]</SUP>
  • Time for the match expires without a result being reached. This usually occurs at the end of the fifth day. The match is a draw and neither team win, regardless of the relative positions of the teams at the time.

Pete McCluskey.

Lifetime Supporter
David,

I think you'll find that Pete is otherwise indisposed doing either:-

A) Crying into a tinny
B) Crying into a pint
or
C) Crying into a nice bottle of Barolo

Mind you, as the great sage Geoffrey Boycott has oft been heard to say "Don't judge a side until both teams have got through the first innings..."

I HOPE that this post doesn't put the "commentators curse" on our boys. I plan to get up at around 3-4 O'clock to watch the play...

A and B are correct, I'm ashamed to say I have never tasted Barolo.
We are well and truly on the back foot, but beware the wounded Aussie.

Also I am doing a rain dance and sticking pins in David and Graham effigys. I dont think they will declare, rubbing our nose in it must be wonderful after us doing it to them for so many years! A terrific batting display a joy to watch. ....Almost.

Last edited:
Back