The 'new' J-cars

I was at Road America and have some shots of Kenny's chassis. I was under the impression talking to the guys with the red car that it was a replica?

It is.

Well done and for sale last I heard.

There are a lot of venues that would to have it Vintage Race.

The likelihood of any of the surviving original cars racing again IMO are very slim.

Last edited:
Jim you are right. I thought that since the car was built using original parts, that possibly it could use some of J1. At Road America no one ran a MKIV other than Bill in his MKIV. Though on display, the LeMans and Sebring winning car was there, or at least in those liveries.

I think the confusion with J cars And MKIV's is caused by the fact that the first two chassis J-1 and J-2 were true J cars . The second being the unfortunate one that killed Ken Miles. When it was found that the original J cars was uncompetitive J-3 was turned into a MKIV. It was then painted to in a similar colour scheme to the MKIV Sebring winner J-4 (the first MKIV to compete even though it was built on the last of four J chassis).
J-3 was the test car with the fins.
J-4 was the first competitve MKIV winning Sebring.

J-5 was the MKIV that came fourth at Le Mans?
J-6 MKIV the 1967 winner?

I have heard that the cars J-5 and J-6 history was wrong. They should read as J-5 was the 1967 Le Mans winner and J-6 came forth. I hope this correct??

J-7 and J-8 were the Holman and Moody entries.
J-9 and J-10 were the G7A Can Am cars. These cars had new open bodywork designed for them with deherdral wings. Later they were bought by the Agapious brothers (J-10 was stolen).
J-11 and J-12 were spare tubs completed in 1980's bought by built by Brain Anglis and sold though Rod Leach and Colin Crabbe.
Regards Allan

I think the confusion with J cars And MKIV's is caused by the fact that the first two chassis J-1 and J-2 were true J cars . The second being the unfortunate one that killed Ken Miles. When it was found that the original J cars was uncompetitive J-3 was turned into a MKIV. It was then painted to in a similar colour scheme to the MKIV Sebring winner J-4 (the first MKIV to compete even though it was built on the last of four J chassis).

I have heard that the cars J-5 and J-6 history was wrong. They should read as J-5 was the 1967 Le Mans winner and J-6 came forth. I hope this correct??

J-9 and J-10 were the G7A Can Am cars. These cars had new open bodywork designed for them with deherdral wings. Later they were bought by the Agapious brothers (J-10 was stolen).
J-11 and J-12 were spare tubs completed in 1980's bought by built by Brain Anglis and sold though Rod Leach and Colin Crabbe.
Regards Allan

Hi

Yes.

J1 and J2 tubs totally destroyed
J5 1967 Le Mans Winner
J6 1967 4th Place Le Mans

Best

Mike Trusty

GT40s Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Mike when I was at Road America I was amazed by the color of you GT40. By any chance could you give me the name of it? Im doing a Fixie bike and that could be a color choice of mine. Thanks a bunch!

Evan:

Rick and Kirby are correct. The color is Emberglo. I had a 66 Fairlane GT that was that color and my Pantera is that color as well. My GT40 is a replication, sorta, of chassis #1032 that was the #4 car at the '66 Lemans event which was that color as well.

Emberglow it is. And it was used on the Galaxies and Fairlanes also. Probably could have been ordered with any Ford in those days?

Back in my high school days, a friend had a Fairlane that color and the father of another guy had a 4 door Galaxie the same color.

As Mike has indicated, he's rather partial to the color. His Pantera is the same color!
Anyone have the Ford paint code for Emberglow? I work at a Napa/Martin Senour paint store and dont have a book that goes far enough back for that color.

Regards Allan

J-10 Is owned by Mr. James Holden, Peter Portante and myself (and it was not stolen)

It is.

Well done and for sale last I heard.

There are a lot of venues that would to have it Vintage Race.

The likelihood of any of the surviving original cars racing again IMO are very slim.

I agree. Too valuable sure but also not really competitive. They were fast in 1967 but today a Carrera GT3 RS pretty much whups one on a race track. Vintage racing is going to turn into Porsche Club shortly. There are hundreds of Porsche race cars built since the mid 1990s.

Back