The rim is scratched due to the sidewalk

Help! Can a scratched rim like this be fixed or have to change a new rim? If repaired, can it look like the original?

rim.jpg

Larry L.

Lifetime Supporter
There's probably a 'curb rash' repair company somewhere near you that could restore that rim with no problem. Google "curb rash repair" or some variant thereof. (There's even one 15-20 minutes away from my own 'one horse' town!)

'No idea what the cost might be relative to a new wheel though...

There's probably a 'curb rash' repair company somewhere near you that could restore that rim with no problem. Google "curb rash repair" or some variant thereof. (There's even one 15-20 minutes away from my own 'one horse' town!)

'No idea what the cost might be relative to a new wheel though...
Thanks for your suggestion, I searched some information on google and found several places with tutorials like
I will take a closer look at these methods. I don't want to buy a new one yet, if repaired, will the repair area rust after a while? Has anyone repaired with a similar situation?

^ no rust, it's aluminum. A refinisher will machine off the offending area at rim edge, likely sand area further inboard, and then paint it. I've had a wheel with less damage repaired, and unless you knew to look for the machined edge, you wouldn't know it was repaired.

^ no rust, it's aluminum. A refinisher will machine off the offending area at rim edge, likely sand area further inboard, and then paint it. I've had a wheel with less damage repaired, and unless you knew to look for the machined edge, you wouldn't know it was repaired.
Thanks for letting me know, last question would like to know, is it expensive to repair your rims? compared with buying a new one. Maybe I have some peace of mind and will find a center to fix it.

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
The last rim I saw repaired was for my fathers car about 20 years ago and it cost roughly $400. That doesn’t look like any GT40 wheel I’ve ever seen. If just a later model OEM wheel, you may just want to look on Craigslist, Facebook Marketplace or eBay to pick up a used rim in good condition. Many people who live in apartments will upgrade their wheels and tires, then unload the originals on these venues.

Bill Kearley

Supporter
If that is shallow enough. Dismount and check wheel any other issues as a result of the hit. Clean up the area, fill and paint. Done !

Very easy to fix, have done many worse than that in a couple of hours.
In the Uk would probably cost you £100-150 a wheel dependant on size and finish needed afterwards.
A DA with 180, 320 and 400 grit will clean it up nicely then nearly prepped for paint or powder coat.
Don’t necessarily need to remove the tyre just deflate and pop the bead back from the face.

Back