Thinking about getting an Rcr 917

Hellp first post . How is the 917 to get in and out of ? I am a bigger guy (245lbs and I'm 6'2) with a dodgie back sometimes . How would the 917 be for me to live with once and awhile getting in and out of ?

If I go this route the drivetrain would an audi AAN 5 cylinder turbo and an 02x six speed with a welded center diff

Last edited:

Pedro

Supporter
Found these photos on the web, I still love to go the 917 way if I ever finish my GT40 project.

Attachments

• e92fb5d7-b5b9-4813-b660-fcc43f3846fc.jpg
    e92fb5d7-b5b9-4813-b660-fcc43f3846fc.jpg
    104.5 KB · Views: 114
  • 7_alabama-917.jpg
    7_alabama-917.jpg
    324.9 KB · Views: 119

Randy Folsom

Supporter
Hellp first post . How is the 917 to get in and out of ? I am a bigger guy (245lbs and I'm 6'2) with a dodgie back sometimes . How would the 917 be for me to live with once and awhile getting in and out of ?

If I go this route the drivetrain would an audi AAN 5 cylinder turbo and an 02x six speed with a welded center diff
You might want watch this YouTube video:

Pedro

Supporter
These are really tiny cars, the first time I saw a Chevron B16 at a Boston auto show I thought it was a toy car and not a real race car so I opted for a GT40.

That is a real Porsche 917 on the picture between the Toyota “minivan” and the For Edge.

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    107.8 KB · Views: 111

Brian Kissel

Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
Jay, here is Alex’s forum name.

EFNFAST​

Should be able to pull up his posts with that in the search box.

And a little info here. Just search 917.

Be sure to read post 18 in the link below

Regards Brian

Any one that has not seen Steve McQueen's Le Mans needs to watch it and see the 917, it may just change your life. 917 is one of my favorites.

Attachments

• 917-Key.png
    917-Key.png
    703.6 KB · Views: 101
  • 917.png
    917.png
    608 KB · Views: 92
I'm 5'7 ~175lbs and it is an absolute miserable experience to get in/out ... you fold up like an accordion and my head is smashed into the roof. I like my seats as upright as possible - if you reclined the seat horizontally like you were in a coffin you could fit taller, but that would be sketchy/scary as hell on the street.

you'd probably be better off in an sl-c .... when i move from my 917 to sl-c it's like I just entered a Maybach in terms of space/comfort

I'm 5'7 ~175lbs and it is an absolute miserable experience to get in/out ... you fold up like an accordion and my head is smashed into the roof. I like my seats as upright as possible - if you reclined the seat horizontally like you were in a coffin you could fit taller, but that would be sketchy/scary as hell on the street.

you'd probably be better off in an sl-c .... when i move from my 917 to sl-c it's like I just entered a Maybach in terms of space/comfort
Yeah ... reminds me of when I worked at racing America (gokart track that closed 20 years ago next to the Patriots stadium) . One of the kids who worked there his dad had an original 60s gt40 ... second the wheel was put on it forced my feet past the pedals and without a helmet I was almost hitting the roof . I actually forgot about that till i was reading Pedro's comment above.

Well I could always cut the roof off and do a can am car lol . I am going to call Fran and see if I might be a touch to tall or wide . I'll weigh my options ... it's either this or import an s2 avant for that drive train I have

Last edited:
I did also message jack to see if his 917/10 can am car was still for sale . If I did a 917 I would drive it on the street so rarely I might as well just get that 917/10 for a track toy

Back