Tornado Build - www.gt40builder.com

That's the ticket Trev, a little every day or so.

Yeah, trying to put in a 1-2 hours everyday and then a full day at the weekend. Going to a wedding this weekend though so the plan is to get all my panel templates apart from wheel arches done by next weekend and then have another aluminium cutting session on Saturday.

Hi all

No progress over the past few days due to a friends wedding and being a bit under the weather. Hoping to get cracking again over the next few days and the next big job is to make a template for the rear bulkhead. Can anyone tell me what to use for putting the folds in the bulkhead panel?

I have a metal folder for my vice that's fine for the smaller panels but too small for the rear bulkhead sheet.

Thanks

Trev

Bit more progress tonight, steering rack front panel template made and started to think about the template for the rear bulkhead. Getting there slowly.

build-april14.jpg

Got in the garage today and finally started turning some of the cardboard templates into Aluminium ones. Managed to make 5 panels and also made the template for the rear bulkhead. Next job will be to mark and drill all the panels.

build-april15.jpg

build-april16.jpg

Started marking and drilling the front section panels tonight. I really love those Cleco's, absolutely brilliant little things

build-april17.jpg

Hi Trev,
I am building an RF, and the spacing between the rivets is generally about 100mm or 4 inches in the old language, It looks to me like you are spacing them at about 50mm. Is there any particular reason for that? It creates a lot of extra work having the rivets so close. Anything to lighten the work load (without compromising integrity) is a good thing.
Kind regards, Gus.

Last edited:
Hi Trev,
I am building an RF, and the spacing between the rivets is generally about 100mm or 4 inches in the old language, It looks to me like you are spacing them at about 50mm. Is there any particular reason for that? It creates a lot of extra work having the rivets so close. Anything to lighten the work load (without compromising integrity) is a good thing.
Kind regards, Gus.

Hey Gus

The manual says to space the rivets at 4 inches for the floor section ONLY and then 2 inch intervals for the rest of the panels. I am doing everything as per the manual and using the correct rivets as provided by Andy at Tornado.

Trev,
Fair enough. Good policy following the manual.
Oh, it would be poor form on my behalf if I didn't compliment you on the work you've done to date. Well done, looks spot on!!
Regards, Gus.

Trev,
Fair enough. Good policy following the manual.
Oh, it would be poor form on my behalf if I didn't compliment you on the work you've done to date. Well done, looks spot on!!
Regards, Gus.

Cheers Gus. This is the first time I've done anything like this so I am taking my time and following the manual to the letter. I am sure there are quicker/better ways that people do various jobs but for my first build its a massive learning curve but I am really enjoying the new skills I am learning.

Trev

Back