Tornado in Vermont

It's here,after a trip to the frieght yard to pick it up the GT is at home in Vermont. It's now been uncrated,unpacked and ready to be assembled.As proof here's me with it,it in my garage and a shot with a rim.The rims are 17x8 front and 17x10 rear.
As the week goes on I'll post more on my build plans.
Bill
showPic.php

showPic.php

showPic.php

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
Congratulations Bill!

Now you have your work cut out for you! :)

I've got some good progress to share with you all.After work on Thursday night and more time spent today,I now have the floor cut and riveted in place.I had a visit today from Scott Calabro,Tornado's rep' here in the states.He brought with him the head lights and the air unit that Tornado sources out here in the states. We got the car upright and ready for the rest of the panel work to be done. I'll be at it again tomorrow after watching the F1 race in the AM.
Anyway,here are some shots of the cut floor pan,floor in place and the GT upright and waiting for more personal love.
Bill

Attachments

• TSC GT40 049.jpg
    TSC GT40 049.jpg
    21.3 KB · Views: 992
  • TSC GT40 050.jpg
    TSC GT40 050.jpg
    38.6 KB · Views: 1,049
  • TSC GT40 051.jpg
    TSC GT40 051.jpg
    49.7 KB · Views: 1,083
  • TSC GT40 053.jpg
    TSC GT40 053.jpg
    47 KB · Views: 1,043
  • TSC GT40 055.jpg
    TSC GT40 055.jpg
    44.3 KB · Views: 1,053
Thanks for the hospitality Bill!

I had a great time meeting Sarah and Chris, while having lunch at the inn.

I'm really looking forward to a weekend away with the wife and 875, at the British event this fall in Stowe.

Cheers,
Scott

Hi Bill,

Good to see another Tornado built being shared on the forum. Mine can be found under ‘Norfolk Tornado’

Although this has been discussed before, I’m surprised to see that ‘Federal spec’ chassis does not have any seat mounting cross bars, whilst the European version (looking at the chassis of the Tornado John Costello is building) now has them. The question is: are you happy with your seat bolted directly to the aluminum floor? Most builders (including myself) either weld in or bolt in cross members to spread the seat load into the chassis. It has been discussed in length here:

http://www.gt40s.com/forum/gt40-tec...rim/24664-securing-bolting-seats-tornado.html

Good luck with your build

Regards

Andy

Looking good Bill, keep up the good work. Ill hopefully be following in your foot steps by the end of the week when I am due to pick my Tornado chassis. I can't wait!

Trev

Congrats, Bill! I bet you can't wait to get started on it. I'm looking forward to driving up there and having a look.

Tom

After setting some 225 rivets I have both the the floor and the rear bulkhead in place. Both side sill plates have been fit,as I wait for the rivenut tool to arrive from S. Calabro so I can mount the gas tanks before mounting the sills.
Bill

Attachments

• TSC GT40 056.jpg
    TSC GT40 056.jpg
    38.9 KB · Views: 891
  • TSC GT40 057.jpg
    TSC GT40 057.jpg
    37.3 KB · Views: 835
  • TSC GT40 058.jpg
    TSC GT40 058.jpg
    32.6 KB · Views: 1,714
  • TSC GT40 060.jpg
    TSC GT40 060.jpg
    42 KB · Views: 858
  • TSC GT40 061.jpg
    TSC GT40 061.jpg
    37.9 KB · Views: 888
Hi Bill,

Its looking good, your making excellent progress, i am hoping to get some quality time on mine this weekend, i presume its easier to cut the back window out at this point, it says it can be done later on in the book but I think I will cut it before also.

Keep up the good work

Thought I'd let you all know how my weekend went.It was a warm end to the week so I took the time to get the Daytona coupe for the first time this spring.We had a nice 50 mile drive on Friday evening.Saturday I had a meeting of the local H.O.G. "Harley Owners Group".Riding season is not that far away.Saturday afternoon and Sunday was spent working on the GT.I was able to get both cockpit side panels fit and riveted into place.So far on the floor,the bulkhead and the sides I've placed 312 rivets.Both left and right sill panels are fit and ready to rivet once I've hung the fuel tanks.I'm pleased with what I've been able to get done.
Here are some shots of where the GT stands, Bill.

Attachments

• TSC GT40 063.jpg
    TSC GT40 063.jpg
    41.5 KB · Views: 759
  • TSC GT40 064.jpg
    TSC GT40 064.jpg
    32.8 KB · Views: 710
  • TSC GT40 066.jpg
    TSC GT40 066.jpg
    39.2 KB · Views: 718
  • TSC GT40 067.jpg
    TSC GT40 067.jpg
    38.6 KB · Views: 700
  • TSC GT40 068.jpg
    TSC GT40 068.jpg
    37.8 KB · Views: 813
Scott Calabro lent me the tool to set the rivenuts that hold the fuel tanks in place.So I made it a point to get them mounted.Real easy job.I'll get the sender units fit,then the tanks will be ready for final mounting.More alu' work on tap for the weekend.
Bill

Attachments

• TSC GT40 069.jpg
    TSC GT40 069.jpg
    48.5 KB · Views: 746
  • TSC GT40 071.jpg
    TSC GT40 071.jpg
    47 KB · Views: 757
  • TSC GT40 072.jpg
    TSC GT40 072.jpg
    40.8 KB · Views: 764
  • TSC GT40 073.jpg
    TSC GT40 073.jpg
    40.1 KB · Views: 764
Here's a few shots of the weekends work.Except for the lower bulkhead panel all the front panels have been fit.I'll get that done and start on the front wheel wells this week.I hope to have all the alu' work finished by the end of next weekend,we'll see how that works out.
Bill

Attachments

• TSC GT40 077.jpg
    TSC GT40 077.jpg
    41.4 KB · Views: 755
  • TSC GT40 078.jpg
    TSC GT40 078.jpg
    42.7 KB · Views: 701
  • TSC GT40 079.jpg
    TSC GT40 079.jpg
    45.5 KB · Views: 693
  • TSC GT40 080.jpg
    TSC GT40 080.jpg
    46.8 KB · Views: 792

Dimi Terleckyj

Lifetime Supporter
Hi Bill

Looking good, but one quick question.

Once you rivet the sill panels into place how can you get to the bolts that hold the fuel tanks in if you should need to remove the tanks for some reason ??????.

Tanks do need to be removed and flushed from time to time especially if using in tank fuel pumps.

I know from experience the amount of junk in my fuel tanks that has entered from petrol station pumps is amazing.

Dimi

Hey Dimi,
I will be drilling access holes into the sills to have access to the tank bolts.I agree that the tanks should be able to be removed for maintence or repair if needed.
Thanks, Bill

Hey Dimi,
I will be drilling access holes into the sills to have access to the tank bolts.I agree that the tanks should be able to be removed for maintence or repair if needed.
Thanks, Bill

Hi Bill

Are the access holes documented in the build manual or is this something your adding yourself? I am still on the early stages of panelling my Tornado but the fuel tank area is something I've started to think about and want to make sure I have good access if needed.

Trev

By the way, your build is looking very good. Have you built a kit car before? It seems so many people on here seem to motor through these builds yet 1 week into mine I've only managed to get the floor in :)

You guys are either quick or I am very slow. That said I am sure as I get more used to the panelling etc I'll start to pick up a bit more speed.

Hi Trev,
This is my third build. The first was a build based on a Datsun 280Z,the second was a Factory Five Racing Daytona coupe which I still have,picture earlier on this thread and now the Tornado. The idea of holes to gain access to the fuel tank mounting bolts I got from Scott Calabro,Tornado's rep' here in the states. Seems like a good idea.
Don't worry about your speed,work at a pace you can enjoy and be sure to do all you want to do the first time.Redoing cost alot in time and money.
Bill

Hey Trev, as long as you accomplish a task every day or so, it will pass very quickly.
I've known people that have spent as much as 8 years building thier cars.

A little here and there and you will see real progress at different points in the build! Enough to keep you excited. Perform the tasks to the best of your ability, no shortcuts, and the result will be something to be proud of. Enjoy!

Trev,
I kept and maintained a task list during my FFR build on my computer (Outlook Tasks or you could use Excel) so that I could add and shuffle the To Do list as I went along. It also provided the ability to print the updated list as needed to work off. Sure helps when you have a limited amount of time each day and waste the first half hour or so scratching your head and figuring out where you left off the previous day or week.

Like Molleur said, if you break down your larger tasks into smaller segments, that will help you see the progress at the end of the day and in turn keep you motivated.

The part I hate is towards the end of the build. It seems the closer you are to getting on the road the longer it feels. That is, there is so much minutia and attention to detail before you're truly roadworthy.

Bill, you're showing great progress! Weather forecast for our area in Vermont shows 70 degree weather. I'll PM you later in the week regarding coming by for a quick visit. If you're headed out for a Harley ride instead, I don't blame you. I'm jones'ing for a ride, too, but my bikes are garaged in Colorado. May have to look at renting a bike from Green Mtn Harley on the nice weekends.

Tom

Back