Trans Adapter kit

flatchat(Chris)

Supporter
The kit should incl. adapter plate,custom flywheel,pilot bearing,starter boss, cover plate and bolts.
Any info from existing users of Audi SBF system re:- likes,dislikes,improvements etc would be most useful /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Why would you need new adapters?
Are the 01E output flanges different than the 016?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, Mike, the 01E output flange has a 6 x ~120mm bolt circle, while the 016 flange is a 6 x ~100mm bolt circle. I think the 01E adapter kit that RF was using used at least one adapter, because the 01E half shafts need to be different lengths and the adapter doubled as a spacer. I think the RF setup required a shortened half shaft on the other side. It sure would be a lot cleaner just to get the half shafts fabbed up the right way in the first place.

Bigger is better, and yet another reason why I think the 01E can handle more power than the 016.

[ QUOTE ]
The kit should incl. adapter plate,custom flywheel,pilot bearing,starter boss, cover plate and bolts.
Any info from existing users of Audi SBF system re:- likes,dislikes,improvements etc would be most useful /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, I'm not a user yet but I've looked at the parts and I have a couple comments. First, as I said earlier, I see no reason why the adapter plate can't be aluminum. As for the flywheel, as long as it is going to be a custom-fabricated piece, it might as well be aluminum (dual mass) as well. Next, I'd like to be able to re-use the starter that came with my RF kit or at least use one that is readily available (like something off a Mustang or a Corvette). Next, the RF stock clutch appeared a little wimpy to me, I'd like to be able to use a good aftermarket Mustang clutch and pressure plate, like the McLeod twin disk setup.

Lastly, I seem to remember reading that the 01E bellhousing bolt pattern may not be exactly alike across all flavors of 01E transaxles. I'm not sure if it's true, but I think I remember someone telling me that.

Don't get me started on the shift linkage.

flatchat(Chris)

Supporter
The adapter plate will be Al. unless I get recomendation otherwise .The flywheel will be steel to be economic and simple,as IMHO you need some momentum to be drivable,else you gonna be stalling on take off at the lights without a bit of wellie ,(Kiwi for boot full)an Al. fly will be a custom order.
What preferences (common) for clutch / pressure plate?

S

svsgt1

I would like to purchase one of your Chevy LS1 to Audi 01E adapter kits if they are available. Let me know asap. Email me at [email protected]

Thanks,
Adam

gash

Hi flatchat. I'm interested in putting my LS2 in my Gt40, could you give some info on your adapter kits to suit a G50 gearbox ( price and how I can get one ).

flatchat(Chris)

Supporter
Re LS1 to Audi 016 or 01E -- max ring gear OD is 290mm (11.4") so we can't get a starter motor to fit-- not enough clearence at the side of the block.
The LS1 to G50 is a much better idea !
Thats the scoop for now unless someone can prove me wrong

What about using the Audi motor ?

Alex Hirsbrunner

Lifetime Supporter
Another 01E taker

Hello Flatchat,

Fran is supplying the 01E-SBF adapter plate with my RCR40, but I will need to purchase everything else to adapt the O1E to and SBF. I'm guessing that the adapter plate Fran has made needs to be a specific thickness to work with the offset pilot bearing etc. you supply. Fran indicated that he has designed the adapter plate to work with your components so I'm wondering if you will offer an 01E kit that does not include the adapter plate to RCR customers.

Thanks & Best Regards,

Al

Flatchat and I have been discussing this for the last couple of days.....the adapter is the easy part .....done and dusted.....
As there does not appear to be anyone actually using an O1E/SBF at present in a running driving car that is willing to share info we are battling uphill at present.....
If anyone has any guaranteed reliable info as to what starter and flywheel specs/dimensions has been used we are all ears.....this would be for the collective good of everyone...
O1E boxes are not native to the USA and as such we have no way of truly knowing the scoop....... I have a couple at the shop but they are boxes only...another issue is also going to be the offset of the diff to one side....a spacer should be used to allow the use of equal length driveshafts to limit torque biasing......another issue to resolve......

I have to say at this point in time the O1E does NOT seem like a good option but Flatchat and I are willing to attempt to make it viable.....another RF legacy maybe......

Alex Hirsbrunner

Lifetime Supporter
An RF legacy indeed! Has anyone actually taken delivery of an RF with a complete 01E adapter kit from my pal RL? If so that would be a place to start with respect to sourcing an appropriate starter/flywheel.

In anycase, since I have $6K tied up in my new 01E/Quaife, I greatly appreciate Fran and Flatchats effort's to this end.

Al

Last edited:
gt40fran said:
another issue is also going to be the offset of the diff to one side....a spacer should be used to allow the use of equal length driveshafts to limit torque biasing......another issue to resolve......

That's an interesting thought, Fran. Do you really think torque biasing would be noticeable given the relatively small (less than an inch, I think) difference in the half shaft lengths? I would think that the stronger the half shafts are, the less pronounced any torque biasing would be.

Mark,
with the kind of power that people are looking at being able to use with this "stronger" Audi box ..yes I do think it COULD be an issue...more towards breaking the longer shaft than feeling a difference at the wheel....

Please,
lets keep the discussion pointed in the direction of finding part numbers to help those financially affected by this oversight in the RF/O1E situation .....

Last edited:
Kennedy is not interested in helping with this box due to the very small quantities......we are trying to find out what parts can/were used and then we can move forward......
PM me with more specific questions if need be.....lets stay focused boys

I can't imagine that a half shaft asymmetry of what, less than an inch, would start breaking half shafts unless the design was iffy in the first place.

As for GT40s with 01E boxes in them, I thought Paul Thompson had one in the UK. I also recall Robert Logan posting about driving impressions with a 6-speed in an RF - does anyone know if that was one of RF's cars or that of a customer?

flatchat(Chris)

Supporter
A solution, (when coming up with a good idea is that a substance or a solution ?) but will displace the trans 1 1/2" and + 5 deg for the drive shafts.(or reposition the motor or the wheels)
In order to universalize an adaption for the Ford,Chev LS and Lexus and to utilize that motors ring gear and starter to the Audi 016,01E,A02 and maybe the Renault UN1 and using that trans' clutch assy incl. throw out bearing.

The kit:- a billet or cast adapter plate 1 3/4" thick, a custom flywheel,pilot bearing and some bolts.

Your thoughts please, and as Fran has elluded to -- we need numbers to justify a production run

Then send depo... oops!

Ron Earp

Admin
I knew/heard of only one car running the 01E box, and as I recall that was in Australia. I have some options available to contact various members and will put out some feelers. Likely the same suspects Fran et. al. have already contacted, but it is worth a try.

To recap and be focused all we're after are flywheel specifics, throwout bearing info, slave cylinder probably, and maybe starter info?

Ron

Alex Hirsbrunner

Lifetime Supporter
Mark/Ron:

I think the car you are referring to is Tim's (user id "Roaldin") and his car is described in this post:

http://www.gt40s.com/forum/showthread.php?t=13931

Flatchat: Let me know if you have talked to Jerry Jansing about what parts were used in the RF setup. If not, I can give him a call.

If you have already gone this route, and if Fran doesn't have any concerns about the additional 5 degrees (I'm assuming the motor does not have room to move forward) then please let me know the deposit amount and I will send you a check.

Thanks & Regards,

Al

Back