Trans Adapter kit

Chris,
Fran already knows of my interest. Whilst I haven't got an 01E, I have a 01X. Fran has the pics I sent him, and assume this matches up with an 01X...

Brett

flatchat said:
A solution, (when coming up with a good idea is that a substance or a solution ?) but will displace the trans 1 1/2" and + 5 deg for the drive shafts.(or reposition the motor or the wheels)
In order to universalize an adaption for the Ford,Chev LS and Lexus and to utilize that motors ring gear and starter to the Audi 016,01E,A02 and maybe the Renault UN1 and using that trans' clutch assy incl. throw out bearing.

The kit:- a billet or cast adapter plate 1 3/4" thick, a custom flywheel,pilot bearing and some bolts.

Won't a 1.75"-thick adapter plate be too much to fit an 01E in a GT40 without cutting a hole in the rear body work?

S

svsgt1

I have a Saker SVS, building an LS1 and just received my Audi 01E. I'm 90% sure the extra length of a 1 3/4" adapter isn't going to affect me. I had a Lexus 1UZ-FE in it before with a Renault UN1 trans so I shoudl have plenty of room for the LS1 and 01E combo even with an extra 1.75". Anyway, I am willing to help in anyway possible as I'm going to make this combo work. I'm in Florida and was able to easily get my 01E from a place in Germany for pretty cheap of Ebay. Anyway, I don't care about the offset of the differential as a spacer woudl easily solve that problem for teh halfshafts, even if unequal length halfshafts were made I don't see it being a problem, if it is then equal length halfshafts with different size adapters will work.

I'm not opposed but woudl rather question the reliability of running the trans at a 5 deg angle. What is the reason for needing it at 5 degrees? Is it a situation where either the trans is at 5 deg OR the spacer is 1.75" thick? Or are both of these required. If the adapter is that thick why does the trans need to be at 5 deg?

My 2 concerns with running it 5 degrees are:
1) Will the gearbox get proper lubrication to all of its components if at this angle? In my honest opinion I don't think this will be a problem but that is just my best guess. I'm going to run an oil cooler setup with an electric pump anyway so this will probablly effect me even less.

2) Will the angles on the halfshafts wear out their U-Joints (or whatever type of joint is used) faster? I can't say for sure as it depends on the total angle of the joint. I know 5 deg is no problem but what if you are already running at the max angle due to the height of the box and the length of the shaft? Then adding 5 degrees could make it unreliable. Again I don't think I will have this problem as I will be able to mount the box pretty low and have pretty long halfshafts but this may not be the case for everyone.

Let me know what you guys think. Is anyone else opposed to running a thicker adapter plate? I would guess that some people woudl have to make chassis mods to fit it but I'm not sure if the GT40's would need any body mods to fit it.

Flatchat: Woudl you be willing to make me the extra thick adapter plate, utilizing the stock starter and ring gear size if others are NOT interested? Do you need a minimum # of orders to make this LS1/01E adapter kit to work? I would guess that one off adapters and flywheels are definietly posisble since all it takes is some machining to make, but it all depends on if you do the machining yourself or outsource it.

Adam

Russ Noble

GT40s Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
I am not familiar with the nuances of different models of Audi trans but when Norman Falkiner was over here with his car I know he had an Audi 6 speed in his turn key RF which was retro fitted by (I think) RF because it was stronger than the 5 speeds that he was continually destroying.

OK....help is at hand....

Spoke with a new RCR owner in the UK and he has access to a set of uninstalled RF components...he will be measuring them for us tomorrow and we will be off and running......

S

svsgt1

Awesome Fran. Does the RCR owner with the uninstalled components have a setup for a Ford or Chevy engine? I'm assuming it is a Ford engine since they have a GT40. Anyway will this help the people with a Chevy engine or is the problem with locating the starter still going to be a problem?

Thanks,
Adam

Alex Hirsbrunner

Lifetime Supporter
Hi Folks,

Jerry Jansing emailed me yesterday and told me the RF kits used the same starter for both the five and six speed setups. Jerry said he is checking with some contacts in Australia to see if he find the original vendor/pn of the flywheel.

I have a list of all of the vendors that were owed money by RF (a long list that even includes the vendor that made the RF nose logos that replaced the original Ford ones) and I will do a google search on them to see if any might be flywheel vendors etc.

Regards,

Al

S

svsgt1

Maybe you can help me clarify some things. Kennedy Engineering makes an adapter plate to fit the Audi 016 to just about any engine including the SBC, SBF, and LS1. From the pictures I have seen of their kit,

http://www.lambolounge.com/Chassis/Transmission/Adapter-Plate/index.asp

the adapter plate is made to use a starter in the stock Audi location. I also know that the Audi 016 and 01E gearboxes are almost identical in terms of Bellhousing size. (I know the bolt patterns may vary but the diameter of the bellhousing is almost exactly the same) This can be seen here:

http://www.gt40s.com/forum/showthread.php?t=15580

So since Kennedy Engineering can make an adapter plate to fit the 016 to an LS1, why can't a thin/standard adapter plate be made for the 01E and the LS1?

Ron Earp

Admin
I've got a flywheel from an RF, Jerry sent it to me right before the collapse. As I recall Robert told me a long time ago it was a flywheel for a Ford V6. I imagine we could probably take one and have it replicated in mass if needed, but I think Kennedy already does this so it might be re-inventing the wheel.

Ron

S

svsgt1

Flatchat,

Thanks for the idea of contacting KEP. I already have and they are unwilling to work with me. The Audi 01E is not available here in the US so it wouldn't make sense for them to make an adapter plate for it, plus there isn't a lot of people wanting this item worldwide. So I'm assuming by you and Fran telling me to go to KEP (which we all know is a dead end) that you do not want to make an LS1 to 01E adapter plate for me. Let me know if that is the case. I don't mind you telling me that you don't want to make this adapter for me. I just don't want to go down this path and waste time if it isn't going to happen. If you are still interested in producing an 01E to LS1 adapter then I will be more then happy to wait.

Actually my original question was to find out why the adapter would have to be 1.75" thick in order to make it work. I was told that it was because the starter location is the problem, but Kennedy uses the stock location on the Audi 016 and make it fit on the LS1. It was merely a question of how they do it to make it work and maybe we can use the same method for the 01E.

I also, had another question asking about the 1.75" adapter plate and the 5 degrees of rotation. Why would it still have to be rotated if a thick adapter is used?

Thanks,
Adam

A really thick adapter plate for the 01E-SBF makes even less sense to me now that I think about the significant difference in where the front of the input shaft is located in the 016 versus the 01E. In the 016 the input shaft extends beyond the plane of the bellhousing mounting surface; in the 01E the front of the input shaft is inside the plane of the bellhousing mounting surface. Is a 1.75" thick adapter plate simply an accomodation for mounting the 01E to other engines?

Adam.

as I stated earlier in this thread we are working towards a solution for the GT40 market that uses Ford based drivetrains....stay focused Grasshopper

As you stated there is not a market in the USA for the O1E in volume.....to any engine....!!!!!!!

When we sort out our Ford issues some of the work may translate to your project but this is not a trivial matter and it requires a lot of work for very little, if any financial gain for us....we are trying to help to ease the burden already loaded onto individuals that were promised cars and parts that were never delivered.....

I know that I for one do not have the time to dedicate any of my guys to your one off project.....besides that... one off prototypes nearly always cost 8-10 times as much as a production part....wonder how I know that...wink

From the emails that we have exchanged maybe you should go back and look at using the already tried and tested Porsche transaxle formula as it is a far easier road and for replacement parts.....a no brainer.....

Sorry if this sounds negative or defeatist but we already have our agenda and we are focusing on it....

Last edited:
S

svsgt1

Fran,

That is cool, just as long as I know now instead of getting my hopes up and then finding out later. I figured I would have to make an adapter plate myself for my project, but if I could have purchased one well that would have save me a month or so of work. So with that said and done I will start development of a adapter and flywheel for the LS1 to 01E. Thanks for your time and effort. If anybody hears of an adapter for this conversion on the market then let me know as I will be all over it.

Thanks,
Adam

flatchat said:
The Ford Mod.(4.6-5.4)to G50 porsche trans axle adapter kit, thats billet aluminium adapter plate, (anodising extra /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif)billet steel flywheel,spigot bearing and bolts/studs etc
Other kits avail for Ford Windsor,Chev,Ls1 and Lexus--V8 muscle your G50 /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif
is it possible to purchase adaptor kiwi in need /[email protected]

When I was at Kennedy Eng'g some two years ago with my 01E, they told me that the 016 will not fit the LS1. Reason being that the LS1 crankcase is too wide, and the starter cannot be placed close enough to fit the 016 (or 01E) starter pocket. I have verified this to be so. One way around this, is to make a thick adapter plate (like the 1.75" that was mentioned), and keep the starter in the stock location utilizing the stock starter ring/flexplate/flywheel. This way you do not have to worry about fitting the starter pocket. Actually with a setup like this, you will need a mini starter that doesn't have a long snout like a stock starter has. The 1.75" will also require some additional spacing of the clutch friction surface to get it far enough back into the 01E input shaft (as Mark mentions). Some custom parts are required to complete such an adaption.

RF has made adapters for the 01E to SBF with some form of mixing parts, so it must be possible.

Andy

Back