Trans--will work?

Hi, I'm newbie and dont know so much. Have to resolve trans issue to get started. Interested in just a car to drive, no track time, popping clutches and so forth, 300-350 HP engine. Can a 1988 turbo 5000 quatro be used? Please advise pros and cons of this or if even doable?
Thanks, Richard

Doug S.

The protoplasm may be 72, but the spirit is 32!
Lifetime Supporter
Can a 1988 turbo 5000 quatro be used? Please advise pros and cons of this or if even doable?
Thanks, Richard

Hi, Richard! Welcome to the forum.

Admittedly transaxle issues are not my forte', but IIRC the Quatro transaxle presents problems b/c of the 4 wheel drive configuration. I seem to remember it is strong (which can be an issue if you want a high HP application, but wouldn't seem to be too important to you), but the difficulty of modifying it to 2WD configuration seems to be prohibitively expensive. There are other Audi transaxles used in our GT40 replicas, spend some time with the search function and I'm sure you'll have more reading than you ever imagined. Transaxles are such a critical issue in building these vehicles that I've even seen the advice given to "....choose your transaxle first and then choose a kit that will support that transaxle". The issue of transaxle choice is so important that there is at least one kit where an Audi transaxle is provided as one of the components of the kit.....take a look at the Tornado subforum for some information on that kit.

Good luck.....looking forward to seeing you around here more!

[Edit--I'd be interested in hearing more about your Kellison, hopefully even some photos!]

Doug

Last edited:
Back