Uh oh, daughter has decided on a car...

Brian Hamilton

I'm on the verge of touching myself inappropriatel
C'mon you blokes, haven't you worked out that Brian is not getting the car for his daughter, she is only 13. The car is for him, his daughter liking the shape is the excuse to justify the project to "she who must be obeyed".:heart:

:uhoh:

How'd ya guess....

As for the MSD box, I was thinking that actually. Also tuning it down, retarding the timing, basically making it a pig. But it'll look cool as hell. I don't know. Ya'll are scaring me now. LOL I would sure hate to put all this work in a car together and then she go and destroy it in an hour. LOL Maybe we'll build this as a graduation present and give her some POS to go wreck. Maybe a VW Bug so she'll get used to the ass-happieness. Hhhmmm. I sure do hate VW Bug's though. Just my preference, I know there's mad love for them around, but I just don't dig em. LOL

Pete, quit outting me damnit!! The wife may actually find this board and read all this stuff. LOL

Brian,what'd I tell ya.....buy an older Beetle,put in some negative camber,hot rims,hang a 'sport exhaust' on it and paint it the color she wants......now put the extra money towards something you really want. They're dirt simple,you can pull the motor in 20 minutes if you're quick and she'll never run it out of antifreeze and cook it! The best thing is you can get one to start rebuilding now and have her help you work on it.She'll learn something and you get to build trust and respect. Best of all,she'll think twice about mistreating it because of all the work she put into it.

Last edited:
Brian, here's an idea: get her a Renault LeCar instead. That was my first car and I learned how to drift that 28hp front-drive understeering pig of a car around a corner after many, many hours of practice (and going off the roadway an equal number of times). It was a pretty safe way to be an idiot at a young age.

After you drop $500 bucks on the LeCar you'll have a good chunk of change left over to buy a nice '99-'00 996 porsche in the $20K-25K range. That's a heck of a car, great driver, safe and goes like stank. Once she learns what not to do in the LeCar you can let her have a whirl in the 996.

Brian,if you look on ebay gt40 cars for sale,you'll find a semi replica GT40 bodied VW. Your daughter would have a hard time getting into trouble with something like that,and it's cheap.Sorry but couldn't get the link to work(must be alzheimers).

Last edited:

Ron Earp

Admin
I think when you try and go insure her in a "clapped out 911" reality is going to set in and she'll be driving the 1997 clapped out Honda Accord. Checked some insurance quotes on a 1978 Porsche 911 (or the lowest bottom feeding 911 you can find)?

Remember, as a new 16 year old driver she has to be full up with collision and comprehensive.....kids are expensive to let drive (been helping a neighbor select a car for their new driver, have learned a shitload in the last two weeks, like how much money this stuff costs!!!!!!!)

And like damn, that is some ugly car there. Sorry, Sake brings out my true feelings.

Dave Lindemann

Lifetime Supporter
Ron -

Party on! Seriously, I have to agree....it is ugly. Though I have been told that beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

Dave L

Brian Hamilton

I'm on the verge of touching myself inappropriatel
Yeah that 935 ain't doin it for me. LOL As for the insurance, I'm thinking seriously about getting her a VW Bug and letting her learn how to drive a rear engined rear drive car on a cheap POS, then upgrade her to the Porsche when she learns and has gone to some track days with Dad. Hehe

Brian, that's not a silly idea. If you get a 1600S Superbug (eg.1971), the suspension geometry is similar to a "classic" 911 (front strut, rear semi-trailing arms) and you can corner them very fast. We had a lot of modified Beetles here in Oz years ago, with motors taken up to 2.2 litres and brakes and suspension modified a bit, wide wheels, decent seats and trim installed, made a good, fun, car. Start off with insurance, etc. on a cheap, basic car restored enough to be safe and sound.
My 2c worth.

Back