Uh oh, daughter has decided on a car...

Brian Hamilton

I'm on the verge of touching myself inappropriatel
On a sidenote:
Bodyparts for the original Kremer 935s were made by dp Zimmermann Motorsport:
About us

To get the correct 935 look of these cars, be aware that it´s not just about sticking a pair of flat nose fenders to the front and a huge wing to the back. Only on 2nd sight you may notice that modifications to the roofline and the A-pillars have to be made as well since the frontscreen had a a far shallower angle than a serial 911.

Best,
Marcus

Yeah we noticed that. She's not a big fan of the rear end of the 935K, she is a fan of the 935 2.0 Baby though. I'm attaching a picture comparison of the 2 models. The black one is the 935K and the white one is the 2.0 Baby.

As for the perfect replication of the car, I think we'll be Ok just putting the body pannels on and going from there. Of course I'll put the fat tires and all that on the car to complete the transformation, but I doubt we'll go as far as chopping the windshield back.

GT Racing does make a complete roof from fiberglass for the 911 in order to get rid of the sunroof, so that's always an option. Sure would make welding the cage much easier without a roof...

Attachments

• autowp_ru_porsche_935_coupe_29.jpg
    autowp_ru_porsche_935_coupe_29.jpg
    23.6 KB · Views: 252
  • porsche_935_wallpapers_2344_1280.jpg
    porsche_935_wallpapers_2344_1280.jpg
    18.4 KB · Views: 249

Jim Rosenthal

Supporter
and HOW old is she? Frankly I think I'd put a VW engine in it for the first couple of years, THEN put a real Porsche motor in it.....kids and fast cars aren't the best recipe sometimes.

On the plus side, the worst thing is four teenage girls in a car, all talking. But a Porsche only holds one other person, so the amount of chattering is less...

Brian Hamilton

and HOW old is she? Frankly I think I'd put a VW engine in it for the first couple of years, THEN put a real Porsche motor in it.....kids and fast cars aren't the best recipe sometimes.

On the plus side, the worst thing is four teenage girls in a car, all talking. But a Porsche only holds one other person, so the amount of chattering is less...

She just turned 13 last weekend. So this will be a 3 year project. I also would like to get her over to Austin, there's a high performance driving school there that just opened up. I'd like to enroll myself as well, think it'd be a cool family bonding thing.

I need to buy a Superlite Roadster and show her what's up though. LOL

Brian,

As she seems to like the Baby 935, a 2.0 litre 6 from the 914 might be just the thing to keep the theme right and the power (and fuel consumption?) down.

Of course, you could always start with a 1.7 or 1.8 and add the 2.0 or larger when it goes out of fashion.....

Brian, you're right the cab/targa cars are pretty seriously compromised as far as chassis rigidity. However, the sunroof cars are just as strong as the coupes. I imagine a teenager would like to be able to open a sunroof on a sunny day. Incidentally, I recently heard of a story of an older 911 going off a road into a lake - it was the open sunroof that allowed the driver to exit the car fairly quickly and safely as the doors would not open as the car was sinking.

Brian,she's still young and many things will change before she hits driving age. I know,I've gone through this a couple of times already. Your best bet is to get her something wicked underpowered but still 'cool' like an older Beetle.Or even a Hyundai and paint it the color she wants. They'll drive anything that's 'theirs' and gets them out of the house.Keep in mind that the boyfriend might be getting a crack at this car and if it's a rocket you can pretty much predict how it'll be treated.
Now, if you want to build the car and 'keep' it for her until she's ready, that's a different story !

seriously..isnt maybe a little dangerous to give a freshly driving license girl a car with 204 hp?.
We talk of this old porsches as something quiet ,comparing it to todays power around...at the time those were SPORTS car..probably MUCH more than today's one, cause much lighter...

just my 2 cent.

Might I suggest you enroll her in some kind of kart driving school. Remember, you've still got 3 years to get her acclimated to performance car driving. She may as well start learning now how to handle something if it gets out of control. A side benefit of the karting is she may actually enjoy it and take up racing them. A couple of benefits to this. A. She might mature into a competetive racer making lots of money so dad can retire and spend his days watching his little girl tear up the tracks, and B. The competetive racing can be her outlet for her need for speed so she won't take it out on to the streets. That's kind of what I did when I was younger. I raced motocross. I would get all that aggression out of my system on the track where it was safer, then I didn't need to get all crazy on the street. Just a thought. Either way, enjoy the car as I'm sure you will.

Brian Hamilton

Ok, lots more interesting thoughts here...

I was thinking about the sunroof car last night myself. She may very well enjoy that. Nothing better on a cool day or night than having the heater cranked up on your feet and the sunroof open so your not sweating to death. Used to do that in my BMW back in the day. I may very well grab a sunroof car for her.

Again, whatever engine the car has that I get, that's the one we're going to stick with... Unless it's a turbo. LOL She does NOT need that yet.

As for the high performance driving school, I'm trying to get a decent car to go down to Austin and run. I'd love to build a Superlite Roadster for just that reason. Cheap to run, cheap to maintain, relatively cheap to build. That would give her great experience on the track. There's also a Kart track in Austin somewhere, I don't know if it's still open though. Last I heard they were going through some rough times...

AJ...
You read my mind on your last sentence... LOL :idea:

Now keep your eyes out for a good car for me on the cheap. :thumbsup: If it's got a decent running engine, that's great. If it needs to be rebuilt, that'll work too. Remember we're trying to build this thing for under $20k.

Laters,

Brian

Brian,

One thing to remember about old 911s, they tend to "foot off the accelerator " oversteer.

If you go with one, try to stay with a 911T, the least powerful of any old 911s.

Best
Dom

Brian Hamilton

Brian,

One thing to remember about old 911s, they tend to "foot off the accelerator " oversteer.

If you go with one, try to stay with a 911T, the least powerful of any old 911s.

Best
Dom

That's one thing I do know about. Every time I get around some 911 people they talk about flooring it to get out of trouble, it kinda seems backwards, but if you think about it all the weight is in the back. You floor it, you get more weight transfer and thus more traction. It's going to take some getting used to that's for sure.

RE: 911's
A long time ago I was instructed to imagine that a string was tied between the steering wheel and the accelerator pedal. Steering input should equal gas pedal
"off" motion. Something like that. Supposed to result in just enough oversteer to keep out of trouble. Anyone's thoughts?

Gregg

Gregg
Lifetime Supporter
Brian, after reading all your comments I think the best solution for you would be the SLR. You secretly want one and I believe you could build it within the 20k budget. You could also track the car. Being topless, it does not make it a practical everyday driver though.

If it is a "935" shape your "daughter" wants, and the car is trully for your daughter :) I would go for an older 912. You can still have the same 935 look but with less power and less chance of her spinning the car. Later on you could always install one of those rotarys you love sooo much for added power. At that time I would install a cage, not necessary before hand. My two cents. I have some personal experience with the 912/911's and have a friend who installed the rotary AND a cage. Turned out the cage saved his life as he left the roadway.

I'd like to throw my 2 cents in with Paolo -- It may not matter how much family bonding time you spend at the High Performance Driving school or at the Kart track, the fact of the matter is that you are giving an incredibly inexperienced driver the keys to a car that will be grossly beyond her ability to handle it. What about the first time she gets goaded into racing it and "fails to negotiate the corner"??? Then what???

I don't want to make it sound like a complete downer, but realistic expectations on everyone's part should be the order of the day.

Brian Hamilton

Well ya buncha downers....

JK

Believe me, I know about performance cars and not to hand the keys to an inexperienced driver. This car is honestly going to be more show than go. At least for a while. But I also understand what you're saying about the fact the car will weight next to nothing and the power:weight is going to be great. I honestly think taking her to a driving school and teaching her all about proper driving techniques will help this. And if she wrecks the car, she will buy another one without our help. After all, you can replace a car, not a life. This thing will be extremely safe.

Brian,the other thing to think about besides power is the handling characteristic.She would be much safer with something that is neutral to slight understeer rather than a car that goes to heavy oversteer without a lot of warning. But maybe it's not her driving we should be concerned about!

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
You could always install a hidden MSD 6AL and put a 2500 RPM chip in it.. That P car will make her wet herself just standing on it from a dead stop to 2500 and then the show's over.. The car will break traction at the lower RPMs but will quickly freewheel to the rev limit when the car will catch itself if she doesn't. Of course Dad knows the "secret" spot to touch to make the car go to it's full potential... ;)

Pete McCluskey.

Lifetime Supporter
C'mon you blokes, haven't you worked out that Brian is not getting the car for his daughter, she is only 13. The car is for him, his daughter liking the shape is the excuse to justify the project to "she who must be obeyed".:heart:

Back