Ultima GTR Vs SLC

I think he was refering to a Ford GT (the modern iteration), not a replica of a GT40. And I think he makes good points.

They are certainly not as "raw" as a SLC or Ultima, but can make tons of power and are appreciating.

Not my liking, I am just not into the replicar scene. As per a component car appreciating I just do not find that likey. And buying a real one is just not my thing either as I want to be able to enjoy and use my cars hard; doing that to an original car is not right, we have already lost to many of them to concrete walls.

Frankly the GTR is a fossil when compared to the SLC. It was designed 25 years ago and has been refined rather than developed in the intervening years. That's not to say that it isn't a good car; just not ' state of the art' now (or then for that matter).

:laugh:
:flameon:
Not a flame at all, The gentleman voiced his opinion as to what I should get and why based on what seems like a great appreciation for the GT40 platform and some fiscal reasoning. All I did was tell him that I do not share his same fondness for that type of car. Different strokes for different folks.

And sure I could by a new version of the GT40 but after I drive the absolute shit out of it then what is it going to be worth. Especially when they are getting hard to get parts for. Ford has no intention of continuing to make parts for the new GT40's, they have done what the makers of many a great classic car did. That was take much tooling and just distroy or junk it. Obviously the lessons of history are easily forgotten, here you have a car that could be a legacy car for Ford yet they show no forsight. Oh well it will make the ones that do survive even more vialiable.

Mike

Lifetime Supporter
Different strokes for different folks.

Obviously the lessons of history are easily forgotten, here you have a car that could be a legacy car for Ford yet they show no forsight
Absolutely, and I think there is more to it than that. Do some reading on how the car was tooled up and built and you will reach a different conclusion maybe. That said, a well driven Ford GT will always be worth considerably more than a well driven anything else being discussed in this thread...

Seymour Snerd

Lifetime Supporter
All I did was tell him that I do not share his same fondness for that type of car. Different strokes for different folks..

Nor did you say anything about being concerned with "depreciation" much less "making money down the road." So, back to the subject of kit supercars that can be build for about half what a Ford GT costs....

One general comment I wanted to make is that it seems to me that acceleration figures in particular, and braking figures to a lesser extent, are somewhat up to the builder since with relatively little money you can stuff absurdly powerful engines into either candidate. Use the same thought process with brakes and tires and you have the same intellectual result. So I would think the real issues in making the decision would be down to other subjects (ride, handling, durability, serviceability, upgradeability, ease of assembly, ergonomics, esthetics, etc.) that are much harder to assign a "figure of merit."

My 2 cents. :lipsrsealed:

I always wanted the Ultima GTR. 10 years ago I saw the GTR at a car magazine shoot and dyno. It looked amazing and had the BMW V12. Wow did that sound amazing. It is not a big car thought. I still like the looks to this day.

Then I looked at the GTM as I had build a Cobra replica before and was able to buy one of the first ones made. I almost did and glad I did not now from what I read, plus the style is just not me now.

Now I found the SLC and was just about what I wanted to perfection. Not perfect yet because I plan to spend some time on the interior as it is really a race car for the street and I want my nice cake to eat all to myself. But most make the SLC to be just what they want to make it our own car and that is what was appealing to me.

Some of the reasons I got the SLC-
Looks- I like how it looks better than the GTM, but about the same as the Ultima. The GTM just does not do it for me for some reason, like it is squashed or something.
Chassis- Alum Tig welded. Lighter, stronger, better in just about every way I know on the SLC.
Susp- way better in every way on the SLC.
Engine, chassis. You can fit the trans you need and engine. I saw that Fran was even putting a V12 in one. If I had known that could fit with lots of mods I might have not have started my flat plane crank build.
Interior- Better than rest, but all need work to be ultra high end interior, but expected.
Cost- The GTM might be cheaper if you are really good at body work, but you need to buy a lot of items to get it all done. The SLC might be a little more when done, but body can just be buffed so that helps a ton. Ulitma would be a good amount more.
Future- The SLC is the future.
Support- The GTM guys were good with my Cobra build and forum support. Ultima way accross the ocean, but migth be ok. SLC guys on the forum here and by emails all seem to help everyone to get a great car. Fran answers emails all the time, answers posts all the time and I think he never sleeps so he gets the nod here for sure.

For me I looked into all three and almost put money down on all three at different times in my life. I decided on the SLC because it just made sense based on all the points that are important to my decisions. I had a short list of cars, (911TT, vantage, Rossion, Z06, R8, SLC, GTM, Ultima). I think I made the right decision based on my criteria.

BTW- If the Ultiama guys actually progressed with design and built this exact car then who knows, I would have probablly sitll gotten the SLC, but it would have been harder to decide. But if they did then who knows what it would cost, still looks cool though. Anyone with a busted up front and rear they want to sell cheap so I can play and modify? :laugh:

jon_olsson_rebellion_r1k_ultima_gtr.jpg

rebellion_r1k_red_bull_edition_2.jpg

Ultima has updated their frame and made the dropped floor standard, there is also an extended foot well. The seating is a bit narrow and the seats are very close with a inside seat width of 15-16 (butt width). IMO they would be better off narrowing the storage pods on the side and increasing the cabin size. They also offer a spyder version that looks very nice. Ultima's package is tried and tested and there isn't a lot of guessing, waiting or mystery to your power train, it all works. Quality of the glass is to a very high standard.

There have been many built, so finding information on the build is very easy and well documented. I like the old school look of the chassis and the ability to use a old school SBC like many Can Am cars had.

For looks I like the Ultima Can Am Spyder for open air and the SLC coupe for a enclosed car. Ultima sales are strong, but I do think they should offer a more modern body style.

SLC may have the cutting edge car, but when you look at their web site it never seems to get updated ( I was looking hard at the T70 spider). Old pictures partial data...... and on the forums there always seems to be a buzz, questions, and excuses regarding the transaxle. It appeared to me like a company with fast growth good engineering, way to many products trying to find a market and not enough time to support the end customer.

i think you can see who I chose

Back