valve cover designs for GT40 engines

I'm going to use the ones in the photo, except with breather tubes welded to the openings. They were standard on early '80 Mustangs, and will clear most roller rockers.
1982valvecover2.jpg

My last post was deleted by Ron so I am not allowed to show pics but I will try to explain the 289 competition valve covers for his forum members.

The MK1 street cars usualy came with cast aluminum COBRA valve covers made by Buddy Bar in southern Ca. and the exact same as used on early shelbys.

The Mk1 competition coupes usualy came with the tall boxed valve covers made on 1964 1/2 to 1966 289 non lettered valve covers. These were used to help stop the oil from blowing out of the breathers. The idea was that the high pressure from the crankcase would pass thru a small opening into a large as possible low pressure area ( The box) and the oil would seperate from the air and fall to the bottom of the box and then drain thru a hose on each side back to the oil pan. These valve covers were needed as the usable RPMs rose and straight aways grew. Another issue that caused blowby was the increased stroke of some of the small block engines that moves the rod throws further away from centerline and into the oil reserve of the pan. 347s have alot off added windage and Ford was playing with strokers themselves back then as well.

Ron Earp

Admin
My last post was deleted by Ron so I am not allowed to show pics but I will try to explain the 289 competition valve covers for his forum members.

That is nice of you to do. However, to be fair the post was deleted because you are not a forum vendor and you do run a business selling the very parts you were attaching in pictures. I'm sorry if that is a bit of an intrusion but the forum has rules and while they might not fit for every occasion I do try to enforce them evenly across the board.

Thank you,

Not original but nice, I use a MOROSO P/N 68775 baffle on Holman & Moody covers, with a 1.250" hose that vents overboard just below the transaxle.

These are the original 221/260/289 covers without any OEM venting. Depending on the heads they are mated to, certain brands of roller rockers CAN be utilized without any spacers. :thumbsup: These are becoming increasingly hard to find.

Last edited:

Jim Rosenthal

Supporter
My engine was built with roller rockers, and standard steel valve covers won't fit over them. However Ansen (remember Ansen? I am not sure if this is the same company or maybe someone bought the name and is doing business with it) make aluminum spacers which bring the valve cover up to clear- they are about an inch tall or so. I ordered a set of the plain dark blue ones from Mustangs Unlimited- they have some decent vintage repro SB/BB Ford items. I would rather have the ones that are in your photo, Rick, but they don't make those.

The engine was built with cast aluminum Cantons which I had powder-coated wrinkle-finish black. Very nice, but they don't look at all the part. Someone else might like them later on when I am selling off all the things I didn't ultimately use.

Jim, you can make a set of those by using scott drake repo covers and spacers from tony branda or Shelby parts and restoration makes them up and puts the correct plating on them, hope this helps Bob

Jim Rosenthal

Supporter
Are the ones pictured above with the multiple breathers available? I did get the spacers from Ansen, but I really like the gray painted ones in the Cobra up above. That is one of the best-looking Ford engine rooms I have ever seen- not a lot of glitz, just business.

Thanks for the kind words Jim. As far as the Valve Covers, about 3 years ago I sourced 8 sets of the very early OEM ('61-'63) covers from various sources and with the resources of a friend and his machine shop I made 8 sets and sold them all within 3 weeks. They are the very low profile valve covers that had no vents or holes. There are some similar ones made (without the PCV holes or tubes) but they are chrome. I saved the last set for my own use, with roller rockers.

Last edited:

Jim Rosenthal

Supporter
Very cool looking engine; is that an original Cobra? It has a Harrison radiator tank, I think. I can get close on the valve covers with the ones from M.U.. I might have them resprayed in that color, although I think the dark blue will be fine. Mostly I just want to get all the dress-up stuff off the engine. I've already taken all the red MSD equipment and either painted it black or found it in black from MSD. When I started the project, I didn't care about those sorts of things, but lately I've found that I would like the engine area to look as much as possible like the cars did back in the day- just business. I've also found some nylon braided hose that looks somewhat like what was use back then, for the fuel lines and fittings etc. It isn't by any means and exact match, but it more or less resembles the old stuff, although it's modern technology.

Back