We speak English here...

Pete McCluskey.

Lifetime Supporter
This works best if you read it out loud.

Room Service (RS): "Morrin. Roon sirbees."
Guest (G): "Sorry, I thought I dialed room-service."
RS: "Rye..Roon sirbees..morrin! Jewish to oddor sunteen??"
G: "Uh..yes..I'd like some bacon and eggs."
RS: "Ow July den?"
G: "What??"
RS: "Ow July den?...pryed, boyud, poochd?"
G : "Oh, the eggs! How do I like them? Sorry, scrambled please."
RS: "Ow July dee baykem? Crease?"
G: "Crisp will be fine."
RS : "Hokay. An Sahn toes?"
G: "What?"
RS:"An toes. July Sahn toes?"
G: "I don't think so."
RS: "No? Judo wan sahn toes??"
G: "I feel really bad about this, but I don't know what 'judo wan sahn toes' means."
RS: "Toes! toes!...Why jew don juan toes? Ow bow Anglish moppin we bodder?"
G: "English muffin!! I've got it! You were saying 'Toast.' Fine. Yes, an English muffin will be fine."
RS: "We bodder?"
G: "No...just put the bodder on the side."
RS: "Wad?"
G: "I mean butter...just put it on the side."
RS: "Copy?"
G: "Excuse me?"
RS: "Copy...tea...meel?"
G: "Yes. Coffee, please, and that's all."
RS: "One Minnie. Scramah egg, crease baykem, Anglish moppin we bodder on sigh and copy....rye??"
G: "Whatever you say."
RS: "Tenjewberrymuds." G : "You're very welcome

Having one language that is commonly spoken is conducive to promoting a common cultural core. If you're a student of history then you'll know that any country's longevity depends very directly upon at least a base level of common culture amongst its citizenry.

Further, it's efficient, and English is the prevailing global language of commerce. Our local hospital seems to be compelled to have translators available 24/7 for both spanish and some asian languages for those that walk in the door (usually uninsured, as I've frequently observed while sitting in the emergency room with a kid who needs some medical attention (I have insurance)). Most of the time the translator is just sitting there behind the counter reading a book however. Guess who's paying for that? Yup, you and me. Wasted dollars on somebody who should get on with learning the language of the country they live in...and the medical system they burden disproportionately.

I've travelled the world extensively for both work and pleasure. Wherever I've travelled I've tried to learn the language and fit in with the customs and expectations, and not been a burden on anyone in any manner. For god's sake, if I decided to permanently live somewhere outside of the US/Canada/UK then you can bet I'd be fluent and ready to conform to local culture and customs. Wouldn't you? I mean really now...

I suppose the bleeding hearts can say this is cold and uncaring. I say it's just being respectful to the people who have been nice enough to let YOU live in THEIR country!

My grandmother was Cherokee but I still think we should speak American English (not the kind spoken in Europe or that place down under) but still think we would be better people for speaking multi languages. Look at our brothers on the forum who are in France, Germany, Italy and England ( :) ), they have leaned to write and speak American English so why don't we have our children (my grand children) speak other dialects? But American English should be a standard.

Sorry Jack, English is mine, and always will be. I'm not sure what "American English" is. Typical colonials trying to co-opt Bully Beefs language what!!! :) ;)

It is very interesting how English has become a standard language globally due in large part to the USA, yet English seems to be spoken less and less here in the USA...:huh:

Now hold on there big fella...

What is a "large part". Is it 20%, 50% or greater?

The English language was travelling around the world long before the formation of the United States via the myriad of global trade routes, and the growth of the (now defunct) British empire, colonizing (or taking by force) a large part of our fair planet which is why English is the recognized global language. Interestingly though (someone shoot me down if I'm wrong here), I think that Spanish is the most populous languagfe in the world.

Cheers,

Graham.

Keith

Now hold on there big fella...

What is a "large part". Is it 20%, 50% or greater?

The English language was travelling around the world long before the formation of the United States via the myriad of global trade routes, and the growth of the (now defunct) British empire, colonizing (or taking by force) a large part of our fair planet which is why English is the recognized global language. Interestingly though (someone shoot me down if I'm wrong here), I think that Spanish is the most populous languagfe in the world.

Cheers,

Graham.

No Graham, that's pure jingoism and you must stop it now please. Mr Aero is correct. We were all speaking a mixture of Farsi and Urdu prior to 1776 until we broke away from the Great Muslim Brotherhood and founded this sceptered Isle then subsequently discovered by the West India Boston Tea Traders who brought us into the fold.. Really, education standards are sinking to an all time low over here :veryangry:

No Graham, that's pure jingoism and you must stop it now please. Mr Aero is correct. We were all speaking a mixture of Farsi and Urdu prior to 1776 until we broke away from the Great Muslim Brotherhood and founded this sceptered Isle then subsequently discovered by the West India Boston Tea Traders who brought us into the fold.. Really, education standards are sinking to an all time low over here :veryangry:

:):):):)

Of course you're right Keith, silly of me really. Just a hangover from St. Georges day really. Feeling somewhat over-nationalistic and I felt I needed to redress the balance. Of course the West India Boston Tea Traders did the majority of the work, spreading the good word around the globe, I just felt that the Association of Morris Dancers (Guildford branch) deserved a mention too...

:thumbsup:

Ron Earp

Admin
I agree with the efficiency of a national language. Where the lawyer in me starts to get antsy is when a majority imposes it on a minority without protections for the minority -- just part of one of the basic ideas in the Constitution I believe strongly in (that, in part, the Constitution is there to protect minorities from the majority).

Efficient and it makes good sense. As pointed out previously, supporting many languages is a burden on the nation as a whole. Other countries seem to do just fine with a national language.

Imposing a national language would not prevent you from speaking and teaching Spanish, just don't expect the driver's license test in Spanish when you head down to the DMV, or, your tax documents in Spanish. Spanish documents are currently available for both of these scenarios directly from the State and Federal government. Why not in German, French, or Swahili?

El IRS en Español

Conversely, one can make the argument that not having these documents and services available in Spanish imposes more of a burden on the tax payer in the form of illegal activities, lost revenue, and so forth. That may be true, but it still skirts the original issue of a national language and probably gets into the topic of immigration laws and procedures.

Keith

:):):):)

Of course you're right Keith, silly of me really. Just a hangover from St. Georges day really. Feeling somewhat over-nationalistic and I felt I needed to redress the balance. Of course the West India Boston Tea Traders did the majority of the work, spreading the good word around the globe, I just felt that the Association of Morris Dancers (Guildford branch) deserved a mention too...

:thumbsup:

Well OK, just watch your facts in future mate. Morris Dancing, funny you should mention that, do you know that the first ever recorded incidence of guys running around with sticks, kerchiefs sur bonce and bells attached to their knees was recorded in Idaho?

Well OK, just watch your facts in future mate. Morris Dancing, funny you should mention that, do you know that the first ever recorded incidence of guys running around with sticks, kerchiefs sur bonce and bells attached to their knees was recorded in Idaho?

It was mooted to be Idaho. Personally I think it was Indiana. I'm sure Idaho was where maypole dancing was invented. However, I bow to your greater knowledge in these matters.

Keith

You could well be right Graham, unfortunately all the (United) States look pretty much the same to me, but of course, if it wasn't for them, we would be speaking Serbo-Croat now let alone English, and we shouldn't ever forget that. :)

1. Native (North) Americans were already divided into thousands of tribes, with hundreds of different dialects. There was something on the order of 80-something mother tongues.

Kind of like the Cajun, Midwest speak, Southwest speak, Texan, Surfer dialect, California "like" speak, ebonics, etc dialects we have.

2. Because of this tribal establishment, they were warlike with eachother.

Like the North vs the South. Like Conservatives vs Liberals. Like...

I hear you WYLD. Things are not all that different in my mind.

I find nothing wrong with English being the common language. I just can't seem to master it. I also find nothing wrong with people speaking their preferred language whenever they want. Europe is a great example of what we can learn...

According to this:

Arizona immigration law: California leads call for boycotts - Yahoo! News

you already are!

Could this be the new North/South rivalry? The prelude to a Civil War part deux...brought on not by agrarian vs industrial partisanship with the attendant baggage of slavery...but by the cavalier attitude of embracing non-citizens and punishing neighbors when they don't toe YOUR party line?

I didn't realize that it was...I must go argue with my neighbors then.

Yup, if its one thing we do well, us Americans, is to make sure its all about us, whatever it is.

:) I like it.

P.S. Just want to go off topic SpyderMike to say that where you live in So Cal has to be one of the nicest places in the world. When I get back over there I'll buy you a beer :thumbsup:

Back on language, I find Microsoft and Apple and computers generally are pushing the world towards the English language. For instance, my wife spent over a year in Aceh upgrading nursing and midwifery education (she's a Professor), and a big limitation was that the necessary books or reference works are all in English. So the Indonesians had to first learn English, then go on-line to retrieve the educational material they needed. I realise there are other keyboards, but it is interesting to arrive in a hotel in Rome, say, and hook up to the internet in the lobby using a fairly familiar keyboard and English. Business programs tend to be developed in English, I believe. I'm loosely using Ënglish"here for a wide variety of dialects from UK, USA, Scotland, Australia, even Guildford.

According to this:

Arizona immigration law: California leads call for boycotts - Yahoo! News

you already are!

Could this be the new North/South rivalry? The prelude to a Civil War part deux...brought on not by agrarian vs industrial partisanship with the attendant baggage of slavery...but by the cavalier attitude of embracing non-citizens and punishing neighbors when they don't toe YOUR party line?

The bill just pasted in AZ, mimics the federal bill very closely. Police won't just randomly stop people to check their papers. When breaking the law they and their companions will be asked for papers, all people, white, brown, and black. A big thing has been made about "asking for papers", everytime someone is stopped for a traffic violation, anywhere in the US, they are asked to produce papers. Drivers license, registration, and proof of insurance. California is overwhelmed with illegals, they have a $640 billion deficit, much due to illegals, we in Az are done paying for illegals. California boycott us? Have at it!
Sorry to get off thread. As far as English goes, people have been coming to the US "legally" for three hundred years or so. All of them have learned to speak English and learned our history to become citizens. They retained their love for their previous homeland while giving their allegiance and new love to the US. No waving of flags from their old country, they are Americans. The immigrants of today have the intelligence to learn English, not learning is either laziness or the want of separate society. That is not part of being an American. To be quite honest, I am really sick of "Press one for English".

Back