Weber tune video review

I received my Weber tuning DVD yesterday and have had a chance to watch it twice now, so here are a couple of observations.

The DVD shows it's VHS origin in the occasional weak horizontal lock, but that's a common factor in re-mastering an analog source and it doesn't detract from the video in the least. The presentation is divided into two sections, parts identification/assembly and balancing the carburetors.

If you have a Weber book, (and you really should) part one will give you an excellent feel for how the jets go together and how all the big bits and pieces are assembled. The section on setting the float height was, I thought, a little cursory, but when you combine it with the section in the Weber tuning book, it is more than adequate.

After assembly, the carburetors are mounted on a V8 and a linkage is installed. The function of the spring loaded adjustment screws on the front-to-rear tab-style linkage was enlightening, as I haven’t seen that information published anywhere else.

The final section is a detailed rundown on the procedure used to balance the four carburetors using a flow meter similar to the UniSyn. It is designed to demonstrate how to adjust the linkage so that all four throttle plates are open the same amount at idle by setting equal air flows. This presupposes the idle mixture is the same for all four carburetors. The course idle mixture is set by the idle jet and fine adjusted with the idle mixture screw on the carb body so keep in mind that every time you change an idle mixture screw setting you’ll have to go back and re-balance all over again. Here’s how the Shelby America expert recommends setting the idle circuit:

[ QUOTE ]
The idle jet is going to be a 60 f10, and the idle jet holder should have a 1.10 mm air bleed. If it won't run well on that, go up to a 65 f10 idle jet and a 1.20 air bleed in the idle jet holder. Set the idle mixture screws by seating them, and then open each one exactly 3/4 of a turn. Do not exceed a full turn open, and if you have to, then go to the bigger idle jet, then turn the screws back down. The correct setting on the mixture screws should not vary more than 1/8 of a turn from the 3/4 open position.

[/ QUOTE ]

Whether or not your jetting is spot-on , getting the carbs balanced is the first order of business, so the section is appropriate whether you’re in final tune or not. There is always going to be some back and forth between balance and mixture adjustment, and the proceedure given in the video is about as simple and painless as you're going to get.

Overall, this is an excellent resource for anyone rebuilding their carburetors for the first time or installing them on a V8. It does not get into the mechanics of setting mixtures or identifying and correcting problems peculiar to Webers, but there are plenty of threads in the archives covering those subjects. This video makes some of the drawings and procedures in the Weber tuning book much more understandable and will give you the best chance of successfully setting up a system for the first time without having to personally visit an expert. Thank you, Oliver, for your hard work in making this available. Honor is due.
John

John B

Temp Selling Pass
Thank you John for taking the time to do the Excellent review.

I'm glad you clarified the horizontal was not a big issue but I thought it was due to the tape being around 15 yrs old. As I stated prior to sending the DVD Tutorial that it is critical to use the book in relation to tunning. The only thing I would recommend would be too install the manifold first without the carbs attached. You will find it easier to torque the maifold down with a good seal. This DVD will also take the "MISCONCEPTIONS" about how hard the carbs are to tune.

I hope this DVD will make the Weber carbed GT40 an easier NECK SNAPPING experience.

Best regard Oliver

Oliver,
I am curious if you have any additional copies for sale. I was a bit late to this party. I am sure I could put this tutorial to good use. Please let me know.

Don

Oliver,

Received the dvd but having trouble with the "first chapter" - - assembly sections don't want to play on the computer - - all other chapter work just fine. Am I doing something specific wrong here?

Brian Stewart
Supporter
Got mine last night thanks Oliver - very worthwhile.

Cheers,

Brian.

John B

Temp Selling Pass
The studio provoded me with a notice that all computers may not be compatible with the cd used to make the copy. Simply use your Home dvd player and you will be good to go. Also not that all the Dvd copies I checked/ played to ensure no problems.

Oliver

Back