Wedding?

I notice that the US papers were generally slagging it off with headlines like 'Tarnished Crown' etc

Keith,

Yes, It's a tad brash and vulgar really isn't it. I'll be honest, I had little interest in the event particularly, but my missus and her family dragged me in to watch it, and I found myself thoroughly enjoying it, and I even felt particularly British for a change.

If you don't like it, then you really don't have to be there or watch it...

Keith

Not sure about brash and vulgar - it's quite restrained and refined in a way that no-one else ever could - a great excuse for a party which why it's always done this way.

I am always mindful of the fact that we (as British) are usually immensely self critical but if you look & listen to visitors from overseas - they normally have have a quite different and positive perspective to our British traditions & our royalty. Fluff it ain't, it's important glue for our society.

I don't want to get political with any of this but it it works, don't fix it... and it makes us unique in an increasingly uniform and grey world.

For all those enquiring about Mr Morton, I believe he was invited to take part in the flypast, but he made enquiries about obtaining a BL - 75 to take with him as a wedding gift so they had no choice but to withdraw his invitation.

Just kidding, but Mr M ain't a particular fan of the Windsors.. :)

Since this is a car list, I'll ask what did people think of the limos? I noticed they didn't have number plates or MOT stickers.

I'm assuming the people sitting in the front passenger seat were security (they didn't get out when they limos arrived at Westminster Abby).

Keith, Yes, It's a tad brash and vulgar really isn't it.

Keith.... This was referring to the US rags, not the wedding mate. I thought it was a fantastic spectacle, done in a way that we are supremely good at . Pomp and circumstance is our bag after all.

Mind you, God save our Queen is a bit of a durge. I'm for making "Jerusalem" our national anthem...

very nice celebration , indeed.
Finally a nice show of (we hope) a nice love story,

The limos were impressive. Saw kate's impressive glass window rolls.Great modern cars with oldtimer taste.Just me not liking the limos.. LOL.

Nice. Think in these foolish days people needs such events to dream and be a little more positive.

Jim Craik

Lifetime Supporter
Graham,

I know I'm kind of strange, but I've long had a thing for National Anthems. I have always liked God Save The Queen, it seems to be just the right amount of regal-ness

Ours on the other hand sucks, not a very good tune and hard to sing. I would much prefer America The Beautiful, second verse..............."May all sucess breed nobel-ness from sea to shining sea"

Charlie Farley

Supporter
Heard some of the commentary from CNN.
Said something like ' don't they just look like toy soldiers on parade '.
She was talking about the Irish Guards Regiment.
Those blokes lost two to an IED just two weeks ago in Afghan.
The medals they wear with pride , aren't decorative.
On a more humourous note, Lifeguards lost two riders in the return
to Buck House, none hurt.

Ian Anderson

Lifetime Supporter
Since this is a car list, I'll ask what did people think of the limos? I noticed they didn't have number plates or MOT stickers.

I'm assuming the people sitting in the front passenger seat were security (they didn't get out when they limos arrived at Westminster Abby).

Ben

I too noticed this.

There is only 1 car allowed to run in the UK without a number plate and that is the car that contains the Queen - and her royal standard must be flown there from.

So presumably all the 5000 police on duty turned a blind eye to the fact that the rest of the vehicles had no number plates!

That said what a great bit of pomp and ceremony

Ian

Keith

Heard some of the commentary from CNN.
Said something like ' don't they just look like toy soldiers on parade '.
She was talking about the Irish Guards Regiment.
Those blokes lost two to an IED just two weeks ago in Afghan.
The medals they wear with pride , aren't decorative.
On a more humourous note, Lifeguards lost two riders in the return
to Buck House, none hurt.

Andy yes indeed - a very good point that most people miss. Toy soldiers indeed. Fuck off.

Right. Many many members have written to me requesting a pic of what I wore to the wedding. Now, Kate's dress was so ab fab, every girl should have one, but because it is protocol to dress formally, I hereby submit a photo (taken earlier today, I do admit) paying homage to desert warfare, tropical service and the Holsten Brewey (tie) in Hamburg.

I think it works...

110429-192255.jpg

What say you?

Keith

Why thank you Jack - I have already been contacted by Alexander McQueens office for some ideas for their new range of formal wear..

You see? It ain't over 'till it's over... :)

i thought it was great and made me feel proud to be British (come on really being a Yank and Italian). Well executed, and she is lovely !!!1 I understand that Facebook has a page (called the Royal Wedding Drinking page) sets the standard. Not meant to be a criticism because I can't and don't live up to the standard.

Did anyone notice that the Aston Martin that Prince William and Kate drove after the wedding had an large red 'L' (learner)? The back number plate was replaced with one that says "JUST WED".

Prince Charles converted the Aston Martin to run on bioethanol.

Pictures: Royal Wedding Aston Martin DB6 Volante

L = Picture #1
JUST WED = Picture #3

Great spectacle and pageantry. It's what makes England England. How could anyone imagine your Sceptered Isle, your Royal Throne of Kings etc. etc. withOUT her kings and queens? :eek:)

Jim Rosenthal

Supporter
Look at the New York Times feature on the wedding...especially the photos marked "hats". Hats on display, alright, but quite a few tits as well, Englishwomen have the most beautiful skin on the planet IMHO. Well worth perusing, I've only gone through the photos four or five times myself.

Also a terrific photo of the wedding couple on the balcony with one of the little kid bridesmaids holding her ears and scowling- she's probably about four or five, very cute. Must have been noisy with the crowd cheering and all.

Back