Weight of current 40's

Re: Weight of current 40\'s

'65 Mk I with driver and 10 US gallons of fuel: 1,000kg on a modern scale.

so thats 2205lbs then /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

I wonder where the other ~150lbs went to...

Wasn't fuel capacity of the MK1 nearly 40 gallons? If so, at 6.152 lb/gal (sorry SI folks - you'll have to do your own conversion to get kg/m3), then add another 180lbs plus for a full load of fuel (adding to the Ben L post with 10 gals of fuel). The weights by John W don't indicate if fueled or not.

Mitch D

[ QUOTE ]
Wasn't fuel capacity of the MK1 nearly 40 gallons?

[/ QUOTE ]
The rubber bladders were 30(Imp)/37(US) gallons.

Ian Clark

Supporter

OK, I'm going with a CAV GT40 over to the local Weight Watchers shop and take a picture in the parking lot, that's all the weight watching she'll get!

Cheers

Chris Duncan

Supporter

""Our replicas probably weigh about same as the original cars""

Sorry Ron, have to respectfully disagree, here's why

Magnesium wheels
Racing tires are 1/2 the weight of today's standard ZR street tire
Racing seat -- 5 pounds each, nylon covered foam pad essentially laying on the floor.
No e-brake
All chassis brackets , susp mount tabs etc. 20 gauge sheet metal, flanged with welded washer on hole, as opposed to 1/8" and 3/16" on replicas
Monocoque usually lighter than tube frame especially if tube frame is paneled with stainless
Smaller (lighter) brakes, 11" rotors compared to 13", 14"
Racing weight fiberglass, thinner/lighter
And the biggest offender, no AC

The original car's sole purpose was racing, the replica makes some concessions to comfort and durability.

Ron Earp

Admin

You might be right, but I was simply baseing the obervation on John's numbers which seem to be more "realistic" than the 2000 or 2100 lbs that gets thrown around a lot with no data to back it up. If John's numbers are correct, then a lot of replica GT40s do indeed weigh similar to their race cousins, but it really depends a lot on what his numbers include. I'm with you on the construction and differences with the road going cousins, but scales don't lie and it'd be nice to see some original cars weighed alongside their replica counterparts.

Ron

Well there are a couple of guys with original cars on the forum and probably have a set of modern scales in the garage. My weights are quoted using Longacre scales.

Ross Nicol

GT40s Supporter

Have to respectfully disagree with you Kalun my Replica's sole purpose is racing.In other words
no A/C, f/glass seats, no carpet, 1 fuel tank, ok I don't have magnesium wheels but they are very light 3 piece.The last time on the scales 1060kg.
Ross

Chris Duncan

Supporter

I stand, or in this case sit corrected /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

"some" of the replicas make concesions to comfort and durability, some of them are for racing only.

So what are the conditions at 1060kg, all fluids? how many gallons of fuel? driver?

Ross Nicol

GT40s Supporter

Those orthopedic shoes again,(standing corrected)Isn't that a great tag.You are pretty right though Kalun most replica owners fit your description.That weight reading was from a public weighbridge so it's accurate without driver and 5 gallons of fuel.It was a while ago and would have been with road rubber and 1 piece wheels.I know there is a lot of weight in the rear clip that I am keen to reduce.Interesting the Porsche GT3 Cup cars weigh about the same as my car and that's the lightweight version.We do have a very good power to weight ratio and distribution too.I just have the standard racer's lament- need more power.
Regards Ross

Malcolm

Supporter

My GTD which is a road car with concessions to racing but no AC came in at 1167 kg with half fuel and me sitting in as driver. With Julian in it broke the scales!

However for Brighton last weekend I took out the passenger seat and saved 15kg and then as the doors were still full of water from the track day I left off the door pockets and saved another 4 kg in total.

Hi everybody, my GTD40 was on the scales the last week end.

and it was weighed in at 1140 KG. (302, iron uprights, AC & fluids)

Olivier /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Ron Earp

Admin

[ QUOTE ]
""Our replicas probably weigh about same as the original cars""

Sorry Ron, have to respectfully disagree, here's why

Magnesium wheels
Racing tires are 1/2 the weight of today's standard ZR street tire
Racing seat -- 5 pounds each, nylon covered foam pad essentially laying on the floor.
No e-brake
All chassis brackets , susp mount tabs etc. 20 gauge sheet metal, flanged with welded washer on hole, as opposed to 1/8" and 3/16" on replicas
Monocoque usually lighter than tube frame especially if tube frame is paneled with stainless
Smaller (lighter) brakes, 11" rotors compared to 13", 14"
Racing weight fiberglass, thinner/lighter
And the biggest offender, no AC

[/ QUOTE ]

I thought about this a little, and I still think a modern replica will come in near and original on weight.

*Modern wheels can be damn light if folks want
*We don't have cast iron brake calipers anymore
*AC isn't as heavy as some claim - 13lb compressor (Sanden), 4.5 lbs of lines, 3 lb condensor, 8lb evap/blower - all weighed from my kit
*Most panel cars in ally, not SS
*And a huge one - lots of folks are using ally blocks, ally heads, ally water pump, pulleys, etc. which gets our engine weight down compared to the 60s variant.

We need to weigh an original in a controlled enviroment and see what the deal is.

You guys (Malcolm) putting iron heads on motors should be punished! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/1poke.gif

R

John B

Temp Selling Pass

Aluminum block/heads/flywheel/starter/stanless exhaust/rotors/wheels will cut your weight over 220lbs alone. The replicas with these mods will weigh less than the original... hands down. I dont need a stinken controled weigh station for the obvious. Comon you guys is is that hard to figure out without getting so anal. This is why have the guys take years to get there car built! to busy blah blah blah instead of doing doing doing...

Oliver

Ok Ian, Make sure the ignition key, tool kit, stereo, spare wheel, tissue box, Louie Vuitton luggage and nail clipper is not in there or you will get a wrong reading!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif
www.vipclassics.com

Roy Boy /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Ian Clark

Supporter

Hi Roy, That's CAV luggage in our cars! Lightweight you know! But I have to have room for a cup holder, Canadians are addicted to Tim Hortons coffee. It's a national epidemic:) This is Johns' 1076 fitted with our remote brake booster kit and a set of luggage in the nose.

Attachments

• 70436-CAVluggage.jpg
    70436-CAVluggage.jpg
    162.1 KB · Views: 242

Ian Clark

Supporter

and a cup holder! The plug ahead of the cup holder is the 12v jack for the radar detector, legal in Alberta:) Nobody stole the shifter, it's right hand shift.

Attachments

• 70437-RHDInteriorc.jpg
    70437-RHDInteriorc.jpg
    121.2 KB · Views: 241

Peter Delaney

GT40s Supporter

Oliver, I thought you had died - BUT NO ! You are back, along with your trademark insults, denigrating comments and appalling spelling.

Its great - you have managed to provide the whole Forum with a "low-point" benchmark - something we have all sorely missed since "Meat's" departure.

Kind Regards,

Peter D.

Back