What are your favourite sayings?

Jim Craik

Lifetime Supporter
Pat,

That's a good one!

Quick question, as I'm sure you know the answer, why do they throw grenades using the loft motion, instead of like a baseball, is it because you would have to stand up?

Quick question, as I'm sure you know the answer, why do they throw grenades using the loft motion, instead of like a baseball, is it because you would have to stand up?

its all about timeing

john

Pat

Supporter
Pat,

That's a good one!

Jim, generally you don't want to waste time with a "wind-up" to baseball throw the darn things so they teach a method that actually looks more like throwing a javelin. You throw standing or in a modified kneel. There is also a spoon-like safety catch that is released as you throw that requires your fingers to depress negating the use of a fastball type grip. You want lots of arc especially if you are throwing it into the bad guy's foxhole and to minimize hitting something and having it bounce back your way. When I went through basic, they actually suggested a two-count before the throw to have it explode in the air "for greater effect". This soldier didn't want any part of that as there is also Murphys Law of Combat Operations #18: "Five second fuses always burn three seconds".

The Chinese method is definitely not recommended... [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wDpuNrA55-A]Chinese Army Hand Grenade Fail - YouTube[/ame] I suspect the young soldier did not get a "GO" in his job book for this station.

This is why my line time was in armor and artillery units and not the infantry...

Back