What do you guys know about these fuel pumps?

Mike Trusty

GT40s Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Here is some experience that I have had with the 044.

When used on a fuel system with injectors sized for 3 bar it has never failed to provide plenty of fuel for over 700 hp.

I applied one to an LS7 application. Set up everything on a dyno and lost power and pressure. Keep in mind that the LS7 system is sized for 4 bar. With an aeromotive pump the motor made 577 hp with no lose of pressure.

May have been isolated but you should test your system if applied to an LS motor running 4 bar pressure.

It ran fine on the 044 until it started making real power.

I recommend the 044 on 3 bar systems without hesitation.

JohnC

Missing a few cylinders
Lifetime Supporter
Mike that's interesting; it's the first I've heard of an 044 pump not meeting demand, and high pressure applications is where it usually excels.

According to the pump curves, it should make at least 225 L/hr at 4 bar if it has an honest 12v going to it, or even more volume if the voltage is higher.

225 L/hr is about 360 lbs/hr, so enough fuel for 720 HP @ 0.50 BSFC.

Were there any unusual circumstances? Hot fuel, restrictions in the line, plugged filters, or maybe a worn out pump?

You said you actually saw it not being able to hold the 4 bar pressure?

Mike Trusty

GT40s Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
JohnC:

It was a brand new pump with minimal piping and new filters.

As mentioned in my post it may have been an isolated situation. If I had another 044 at the time I could have tested to see if it were the pump but I didn't.

I just suggest that you test your application to make sure it works at the top end.

As an example I did a 619 hp 427 Windsor with TWM throttles for a Pantera in France. I provided an 044 pump running 3 bar with the motor and injection. Owner could not get the motor to make power but it ran fine at cruise. After hours on the phone and he insisting that there was something wrong with either the motor or injection system. He insisted that he had checked fuel pressure and it was exactly what I wanted. I gave up and WENT to France. Fifteen minutes after arriving and a new fuel filter and the car was scary fast. The lesson is check everything to make sure it is perfect and then check it again because nothing is perfect.

JohnC

Missing a few cylinders
Lifetime Supporter
Thanks Mike, your experience is something I'll definitely need to retain for the future 'cause I've always thought the 044's were the champs of the high pressure pumps.

Bosch even make a version of the 044 that's rated for 8 bar, albeit it only makes around 160 L/hr @ that pressure.

Here is some experience that I have had with the 044.

When used on a fuel system with injectors sized for 3 bar it has never failed to provide plenty of fuel for over 700 hp.

I applied one to an LS7 application. Set up everything on a dyno and lost power and pressure. Keep in mind that the LS7 system is sized for 4 bar. With an aeromotive pump the motor made 577 hp with no lose of pressure.

May have been isolated but you should test your system if applied to an LS motor running 4 bar pressure.

It ran fine on the 044 until it started making real power.

I recommend the 044 on 3 bar systems without hesitation.

Mike, I wonder if you fell victim to a fake 044 when it was causing a loss of power? Some of the SLC builders have discovered that there are many vendors that are selling, knowingly or unknowingly, fake pumps. I had one I just returned after a point-by-point discussion with a Bosch engineer.

There has been plenty of experience with good results with these pumps, so I imagine that your bad experience was due to either a fake or an anomaly. They have more than enough capacity to fuel an LS7.

Anyway, I have a real one on the way, which I expect will serve my LS7 well. I'll know for sure in time.

Grant,
I don't know about the Walbro LP 255 pump as I will use a Holley 12-125 LP Pump.
Anyone chime in please with the Walbro answer, I'm interested too.

Grant,
I don't know about the Walbro LP 255 pump as I will use a Holley 12-125 LP Pump.
Anyone chime in please with the Walbro answer, I'm interested too.

I thought the Walbro 255s were all high pressure. If that is true, they wouldn't be optimal for filling a swirl pot. The Holley HP125 pump as Jack referenced would be a better choice (around 7 PSI, and lots of volume.)

Walbro does make the 401 Low Pressure in-tank pump suitable for swirl pot duty. It's rated at 110-115 lph. Haven't heard of a 255lph low pressure Walbro pump.

I believe Pegasus Racing still carries the Fuel Safe low pressure pump, which is rated ~135lph @ 4-6 psi.

Tom

I have sent an email to the tech guy's at Aeromotive to see if there is a formula that we can use to determine GPH / HP / tank, on a two tank system so that no matter what you are using you will be able to sort out the fuel supply needs at any given HP rating. I will post if I get a reply back.
Cheers,

Ian Anderson

Lifetime Supporter
Rule of thumb 10cc per fuel per HP per Minute

400 hp would thus require

10 * 400 *60 = 240 000 cc per hour or 240l per hour to support it

Ian

Thanks Ian, / Alan, for the link to the article this will help, now I just have to find out what the power output will be to the fuel pumps.
Also Aeromotive replied back with this link, pretty much the same as what you sent me Alan with a few extra pages.
http://aeromotiveinc.com/2010/01/fuel-pumps-and-horsepower/
there is an article in here that will make Alex jump for joy. but let's keep it a secret ;)

Last edited:
Just don't let the Aeromotive pump suck air. It will destroy itself in a few seconds. Costly when running a dual fuel pump system. Then when it happens a second time $1200. Aeromotive did rebuild the second set of pumps or another $600 would have been lost.

The Aeromotive was designed for drag racing not road racing. They are and can be used.

Aeromotive tech department will tell you never ever let the pump run dry. The stainless steel pucks (as I call them) spin between two billet aluminum plates. The air causes cavitation and the stainless steel pucks wobble and eat the aluminum.

They are great pumps if you use a swirl pot setup and never ever let the Aeromotive suck air. Not even for a few seconds.

The Walbro, Bosch etc are more forgiving to running low on fuel and sucking air. They will eventually give up as well under those situations.

The new dual pump setup by Holley looks pretty cool. An easy way to run a backup pump or dual pump with least amount of space and plumbing (check valves, y's etc). It appears that the Holley uses the same gear rotor style as the Walbro/Bosch pumps.

Went to my local speed shop today and checked out the new Holley fuel pumps.
No one could tell me much about them as they are still to new.
They did say that they hooked one up and it was very very quite,
and they did not cost much so Im thinking might be worth a try, one down one to go,
so now what to do for the LP surge tank pump?

Carter Universal Rotary Vane Electric Fuel Pump. The Black pump in free flow is 100 GPH.

We have run these pumps as the feed for the swirl pots. After 5 years of racing including 5 x 25hr races they are still working well as a feed pump.

They are real forgiving when the fuel cell is low and pumps suck air.

If my math is right, I will need a 120 GPH pump it will be about 10% more then I need but I want to error in the side of caution.

Back