What ever happend to my old RF40?

Hello everyone,

It has been so long since I have been on here I forgot my user name and had to register again.

I imported the first RF40 into the US. About the time I received my kit. Hershal and Ron Earp came to see it and soon placed their orders. I work in the travel industry and 9/11 combined with a divorce forced me to sell. I would love to know what happened to the car and if it is now on the road. I sold it to a guy back east and I never heard from him again. Anyone know where the car is?

Hi Bob !
Boy! what a surprise to see you post. It's good to know you're still doing OK and looking in on the Forum.
The first American RFGT40 is living in good hands with Mark worthington who is a regular contributor to this forum. He has done quite a bit to the car and I think he is close to finishing.
I'll let Mark fill you in as I'm sure he will see this post.

Glad you're back Bob.

Hersh /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Thanks Hershal!

It is nice to know that the car is coming along. I hope Mark will send me some pictures. Are there any pics of the car on this site? I am doing very well and am re-married to a very good woman. I bought a Mini MCS about a year ago and have been active with the Mini clubs. I developed a couple of big brake kits for the Mini and was selling them on the side to mostly racers until it got too big and started effecting my real job which is with Orbitz.com I sold the brake business about a month ago to Detroit Tuned. While the Mini is no GT40 or Cobra, they are a blast. Mine is heavily modded and I have fun picking on exotic sports cars. I will soon be in a position to get another project car. So are you the RF guy now in the US? What happened to whats his name in Phoenix? I can't belive how this site has grown. last time I was on here it was just a couple of us talking to each other. Way to go Ron!

I found Mark's picuters. Thank you. I guess it helps to know the chassis number to find a car here. The car looks great and brings back a lot of memmories.

Ron Earp

Admin
Hey Bob,

Nice to hear from you again and that you are doing well! Still have those Bengal kats? Still trying to talk my wife into one, but she is happy with the normal cats we have.

Those Minis are a blast, that is for sure. I've driven a fairly normal one on the street and track, lots of fun! I actually received my 40 as well, but, I ended up selling it to Dan in Florida because I've gotten involved with a little race company and doing a lot of SCCA racing. I do have a turnkey minus on order though, I have enough time to do an engine install and sort one out for the track.

The site has grown a lot and it will grow some more, for sure. I've got a few vendors interested in offering wares through a GT40 store and I think we'll open that up in the Fall for GT40 specific parts etc.

Go ahead, order up another GT40 and get one on the road! If you like I can find your old user id and password, just email me at [email protected].

Ron

Good to hear from you, Bob. I'm glad to hear that you are well. Your car is indeed in good hands, although the last year has not seen much progress as I've been extremely pre-occupied with other stuff. As you've probably seen in your perusal of the web site, I've made some changes, including:

<ul type="square">[*] Traded the 16" wheels for 17", with 315 rubber in back.

[*] Added Gulf flares.

[*] Adding a rear sway bar and custom brackets to address the increased understeer that the extra rear track width will cause.

[*] Removed the MkII rear scoops.

[*] Added a Gurney bubble because, after a ride in Hersh's car, I realized that, even though I'm only 6'0", I have the legs of someone who is 5'9" and the torso of someone who is 6'4". /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

[*] Powder-coated the panels Cobalt Blue, to match my white-with-blue-stripes paint scheme.

[*] Added thermal/acoustic insulation to panels in cabin area.

[*] In the process of adding an Audi 01E 6-speed transaxle in place of the 016 5-speed.

[*] Modifying the instrument panel to accept an engine start button from a Honda S2000.

[*] Swapped out the Aviaid GT40 oil pan for one from Armandos because the Aviaid pan interfered with a chassis cross member.[/list]

Hmmm...looking back at that list, I guess I have made some progress on the car. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

You have relatives in my town, don't you? You're always welcome to stop by and have a look, although you may find a sanding block in your hand!!

Don't hesitate to shoot me an email or a PM if you have any questions. I hope you stay around, Bob. You are one of our "founding fathers" and made some excellent contributions to the forum.

Take care.

Bob,
Glad to hear you have kept busy in the sport. I luv the mini cooper. It looks like it would be a roit to drive. I'll have to do it. I have a friend visiting here from Australia and his son has a mini and he belongs to a large mini forum. His name is Bernie Knight and his son is Todd. I'll have him send you a Private message. Here is a picture of his mini.
16830crbforme03.jpg

Bernie and I just returned from a 6000 mile trip in my GT.
We had a great time stopping and sight seeing along the way.
Yes, if you are interested in a another RFGT I can help you. I'm sure you have seen our new web site and the price changes. here is the new site link... www.roaringforties.com.au
It's a good site with alot of info. My number is on the site so give me a call sometime.

Hersh /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Great to hear from you Mark! I was toying with the idea of the 01E six speed, but at the time it had never been done. I was in the process of buying one when life changing events forced the sale. I hope you find a good home for the 016 as it was custom built and has the best all worlds for an 016.

I would like to do this again. I saw an ad where Hershal had a quick build at a good price. I might be an owner again towards the end of the year.

Back