What type of mufflers are you running?

Car chemistry inserts

Faili F said:
Here is the link. http://www.carchemistry.com/tubemufflers.html
If you call them they will make any sizes/length you like. You can have up to 3 inserts inside for the sound. Mine are 3" in/out about 15" long (I think). They come ceramic coated

Hey Farhad.

Any chance you did a before and after HP (even butt dyno) test with those mufflers? This might be apples and oranges, but I welded a two-disc car chemistry insert into the cat replacement pipe on my Spec Miata, and it dropped the sound from 95 to 90dB but at the cost of 4 or 5 HP. Doesn't sound like much until you figure that 5 HP is 5% of the total available.

Scott

Sandy

Gulf GT40
Lifetime Supporter
The one that is on my RCR40 is a Magnaflow. Exhaust is 2" tubes. It looks bigger (longer) in the photo and I was assured that it would be loud... Mission acomplished :) I don't have the model number but should not be too hard to find from their site.

[edited, forgot the photo]

Sandy

Attachments

• Exhaust.jpg
    Exhaust.jpg
    33.5 KB · Views: 576

Ron Earp

Admin
This is a good question!

I noticed something some years ago that I wish to see if others had noticed. The Roaring Forties cars that I had been around running had crossover exhausts, but, used a single muffler with two inlets as above. I found that it masked the distinctive crossover exhaust sound.

When I went to England and heard some of their cars, with crossover exhausts but two separate mufflers I found the sound to really have that distinctive crossover "GT40" sound. Not sure about noise levels though, there might not be much muffling with this setup and I doubt it'd pass the rather strict sound levels in the UK and on some US tracks! Not to mention street use.

Both sound great, but I think the two separate muffler setup is a little more distinctive. I'm not sure what I'll end up getting from Fran on the Lola, I imagine he can do anything needed. Some Ford Lola's had crossovers, others just upside down boat headers with not even a balance tube between banks. I think the latter would sound too "muscle car" like and would avoid that one.

Ron

Last edited:
more muffler talk...........

Any more thought on mufflers? I'd like to use two smaller cans rather than one big one, just to avoid the plumbing issues more than anything else.
Has anyone used two mufflers that produce a tolerable sound level? I don't need much as the Harley's up here run open pipes, but I don't want to require ear plugs while driving the car.

Ron, maybe we could start an audio thread so that folks can post sound files of their cars?

Many Thanks
Brian

Ron McCall

Supporter
My Pantera has 180 deg. headers with two seperate Magnaflow mufflers. To me,at idle nad cruising speeds,it isn't too loud.At full throttle,it is quite loud.It has an incredible sound!!

Ron: you are absolutely right about the single muffler masking the crossover sound.I tried several; configurations on my car .A chambered muffler(Flowmaster,etc...) will also mask the crossover sound.

Attachments

• 113_1366 (Small).JPG
    113_1366 (Small).JPG
    67.3 KB · Views: 458
Ron,
Is that a Borla setup that you are running now? I have been looking around for them, and not having too good a success. They are what was on the original street cars. Any advice on brands?

Bill

I find this set-up very interesting...although I have no info on where they came from or how well the worked or hold up over time.

Attachments

• carbon cans.jpg
    carbon cans.jpg
    6.9 KB · Views: 427
Back