Why can I no longer post in the paddock?

It's just a lounge area. It stops the forum from degenerating like other forums into grumpy sods screaming "before you ask do a search bozo" at people who are as much trying to join in the GT40 conversation as they are asking questions, and therefore no one saying anything, except the snobby clique of course.
I think this forum is better than that because the people use it to communicate on anything and everything. The degeneration is confined to one area. (Along with the degenerates ;p)
There is a more inclusive feel here than many other forums and I think the level of communication between members is the reason. The paddock is part of that.

Tim.

I suspect that if it were turned off much of the "shit" would migrate to the main forum and cause a lot more work for moderators etc anyway.

It would be nice if it could appear only when logged in though. I have always thought its threads should not appear on the today's posts list that non logged in passers by see.
I have suggested that before but was told it wasn't possible. I occasionally use another forum (also vbulletin based I believe) that, if I remember correctly, manages to hide areas from non logged in viewers, so I am not sure why it can't be done here.
If it can't be done it can't though.

Tim.

Last edited:
It's just a lounge area. It stops the forum from degenerating like other forums into grumpy sods screaming "before you ask do a search bozo" at people who are as much trying to join in the GT40 conversation as they are asking questions, and therefore no one saying anything, except the snobby clique of course.
I think this forum is better than that because the people use it to communicate on anything and everything. The degeneration is confined to one area. (Along with the degenerates ;p)
There is a more inclusive feel here than many other forums and I think the level of communication between members is the reason. The paddock is part of that.

Tim.

Tim,

In my opinion very well put, also I think the jokes thread is the most viewed thread on the site which shows there is hope for mankind and the paddock fraternity after all.

Although, I believe there leader is beyond redemption :)

Ron Earp

Admin

I suspect that if it were turned off much of the "shit" would migrate to the main forum and cause a lot more work for moderators etc anyway.

Truth.

I've received a bunch of PMs and emails over the paddock. Anything from "please make them stop using XXXXXX" in the paddock where XXXXXX is a word someone doesn't like, to the forum is horrible because the paddock is members only, to you're doing a great job, over to GT40s.com is ruined.

The thing is a larger part of the static is from folks that heavily use a portion of the forum, but, they don't wish to contribute to funding of the forum. I use a lot of forums and the ones I use frequently, like Improved Touring, RoadRaceAutoX, and SVTPerformance I contribute to so they'll continue to exist. Makes sense to me.

Is what it is, the world still goes around.

Larry L.

Lifetime Supporter
What's that old adage, Ron? "You can please all the people some of the time..........."?

So, as Bruce Lee once said in a movie of his, "Be like water, my friend." :D

Mike Pass

Supporter
Oh dear, this is hard work.

Please don't tell me again that I can pay to post in the paddock. Honestly I get it. Even at my advanced years I retain the ability to understand the concept.

However.......I and many others were previously able to post without being held to ransom.
Sorry to be pedantic but my original question remains unanswered so I will once again ask for some clarification.

(1) Why has the change been made?

(2) Who has upset the AppleCart?

(3) what did they do?

(4) Who decided to make the change?

(5) What was the reasoning behind the change?

(6) If I have done something wrong why have I not been informed?

(7) Why the secrecy and complete lack of information to forum users?

(8) Why are some people sending private mails to the moderators instead of having some guts and saying their piece in the open?

This was an open forum and let people have their say without fear or favour. I and you may not agree with opinions expressed but I would defend their right to their opinion. We allegedly have free speech in democratic countries. We don't pay to speak or indeed vote. We are in trouble if this happens. I believe that this move is wrong and needs to be explained and put right ASAP.
As we have not been privileged to receive any explanation we are left to guess what has happened. If someone has overstepped the mark then the solution is to deal with that person directly and openly rather than disadvantaging a whole bunch of people who are innocent. That is blatantly unfair. If it's me then tell me on the open forum. I'm grown up now and can take advice and criticism.
What I really really don't like is gagging and any form of privilege and unfairness.

Well there you have my queries and my opinions. Maybe somebody will grow some balls and enlighten us.

The pariah from the pariah club

Ron Earp

Admin
Discussion from some moderators and members felt it might be a good idea to help freeloaders carry some share of the forum's funding.

Gotta be Jeff Young or Jim Craik. They're the only two progressives left on the forum.

(3) what did they do?
Not sure.

It came about inadvertently. I made changes to turn off the Paddock while the new moderator function was turned on. I mistakenly made it only available for members (and also by mistake folks who had started threads there). I haven't fixed it yet, so, in essence I made the change.

See (1).

Check with wife. I don't know if you've done anything wrong.

Really? There is a lot of information here. Lack of information would be no response to this thread or your posts.

(8) Why are some people sending private mails to the moderators instead of having some guts and saying their piece in the open?
Hell if I know. Post down in the Paddock where most of them are and ask.

Doug S.

The protoplasm may be 72, but the spirit is 32!
Lifetime Supporter

Please don't tell me again that I can pay to post in the paddock. Honestly I get it. Even at my advanced years I retain the ability to understand the concept.

However.......I and many others were previously able to post without being held to ransom.
Sorry to be pedantic but my original question remains unanswered so I will once again ask for some clarification.

(3) what did they do?

This was an open forum and let people have their say without fear or favour. I and you may not agree with opinions expressed but I would defend their right to their opinion. We allegedly have free speech in democratic countries. We don't pay to speak or indeed vote. We are in trouble if this happens. I believe that this move is wrong and needs to be explained and put right ASAP.
As we have not been privileged to receive any explanation we are left to guess what has happened. If someone has overstepped the mark then the solution is to deal with that person directly and openly rather than disadvantaging a whole bunch of people who are innocent. That is blatantly unfair. If it's me then tell me on the open forum. I'm grown up now and can take advice and criticism.
What I really really don't like is gagging and any form of privilege and unfairness.

Well there you have my queries and my opinions. Maybe somebody will grow some balls and enlighten us.

I happen to think it was a great business decision...if you have a business with a variety of products, wouldn't you charge more for the ones in high demand? Ever notice how much traffic (demand) the Paddock has?

As for who is to blame...well, isn't that what all the talk in the Paddock's political discussions is about? If you want to read about blame, we've got you covered!

It was the other side what screwed it all up...that's for sure! And I can assure you that whatever reasoning they used (and I don't think they used any), it most certainly wasn't good reasoning :thumbsdown: .

Lotsa forums charge small fees....I'm like Ron, except that one year I'll support one, the next year another, I spread the joy around. But I always support one of them (not counting the premier membership here). It's not that hard.

One of the Cobra manufacturers has a forum...with a section that you can't access unless you own one of their products. Talk about an expensive subscription! See....it's worse elsewhere.....:idea:

Cheers!

Doug

Ron,

What about sub-forums in the Paddock;

Religion Forum- $500 membership

Politics Forum - $1000 membership

Sex Forum - $1.00 membership

Climate Change Forum - donation to Al Gore

All-Out Name Calling Forum - FREE upon agreement to never return after posting

Discussion from some moderators and members felt it might be a good idea to help freeloaders carry some share of the forum's funding.

Gotta be Jeff Young or Jim Craik. They're the only two progressives left on the forum.

(3) what did they do?
Not sure.

It came about inadvertently. I made changes to turn off the Paddock while the new moderator function was turned on. I mistakenly made it only available for members (and also by mistake folks who had started threads there). I haven't fixed it yet, so, in essence I made the change.

See (1).

Check with wife. I don't know if you've done anything wrong.

Really? There is a lot of information here. Lack of information would be no response to this thread or your posts.

Hell if I know. Post down in the Paddock where most of them are and ask.

Because it was a Capitalistic move which I don't have a problem with, I think our Progressive members should redistribute their wealth to help the more needy members to show their comittment.:)

Ron Earp

Admin

I don't like to quote myself, but I wanted to point out that I'm not sure if this is how the paddock will remain, or if it'll be back to the original non-membership status. There is actually a fair amount of forum maintenance to do and I just haven't had the time. I've been traveling 2-3 days every week since September and it just doesn't leave much time for other things. I hope that my last 2013 trip will be next week and then I'll have time to look at this issue and do other forum tasks.

Pat Buckley

GT40s Supporter

(3) what did they do?

All these demanding questions from someone who doesn't even support the place.

Nice restraint Ron.

I think you are wrong, Mike has always fully supported the Forum, and is always the first to reply and give advice at length to those searching for technical advice and guidance, far more so than the majority of paid up users. Just look at any of the threads in the past, you will find his input has been very valuable to most who have looked to the Forum for help.

Pat Buckley

GT40s Supporter
I understand what you are saying but I don't think giving advice pays the bills.

Looking at it another way, are you suggesting that the site should pay him for all the good advice he has given?

Maybe those who support the site in non - monetary ways should be given supporter status with an invisible rotating star?

Just tongue in cheek here Frank.

I fail to understand how locking the paddock which despite being a bit of a hoot is of little value to a prospective 40 builder. If revenue is the issue the technical forums should perhaps be a target .

Bob

Back