Windows 10

Keith

Update: (oh, the irony) After almost seven days,

I like the O/S, I just don't like this:

Windows 10: Microsoft under attack over privacy | Technology | The Guardian

Have managed to turn it all off now.

When you think of it, as car nuts custom building stuff that we want to have, the whole MS Windows 10 philosophy doesn't jive. I suppose Linux would be better but I don't believe that many of us, given our average age, would want to be bothered with it's idiosyncrasies.

So, yes Windows 10 is fine, it works, it's fast, it's stable and I haven't had to update a single application.. It's also very family oriented and the ideal OS for a home VPN. Note: I migrated from 8.1 so I probably had an easier ride...

But for everyday use, I can't see why you would want to upgrade from Windows 7.

Is there any real safeguards against internet snooping? I opened a facebook account so i could keep up to speed on family members dotted around the world. Within a week stuff I look at on ebay is popping up on a sidebar and friends are being suggested that I had business dealings with over ten years ago. :thumbsdown::thumbsdown: This is happening even though I pay for AVG full house security :veryangry:

Bob

Pat

Supporter
You can't stop but you can slow down the tracking sites.

Firefox: Firefox> Tools> Options> Privacy> click the box that says, "Tell websites I do not want to be tracked." Then you should set it to "never save your history" and remove cookies frequently.

Chrome: Chrome> Preferences> Settings> Advanced Settings> Privacy> Content Settings> Click, "Block Third Party Cookies and Site Data."

Safari: Safari> Preferences> Security> Accept Cookies> select "never." You might also want to consider browsing privately so your history and passwords are not stored, and thus accessible.

Internet Explorer: Microsoft's Internet Explorer 10 will default to a "Do Not Track" position. The browser will send a signal to advertisers altering them that users do not want to be tracked.

On Facebook, for years, you've been able to click on a tiny icon of a down arrow or X in the right corner of an ad to keep ads from that company from coming back. In 2014, Facebook began offering much more to everyone in the U.S. (and soon elsewhere).

Find an ad and click on the corner icon. (It's tiny, and you may have to hover your mouse over the area to see it.) From the pop-up menu, select "Why am I seeing this?" You'll get an explanation of what Facebook thinks made a good match between you and that particular ad.Underneath that, there's a link labeled, "View and manage your ad preferences." From here, you'll be taken to Facebook's entire dossier on you.

It's a fascinating and slightly scary view of what Facebook has pegged you as being interested in over the years. It will probably have a mix of the spot-on and the useless.

By removing items from the list, you can make Facebook show ads for fewer yet more pertinent topics—more GT40s, less online shopping, for instance. You're actually helping Facebook by editing the list, because you're more likely to click on those ads.

If you remove all topics, Facebook reserves three pieces of information that it will never let you keep out of its ad-targeting system: your gender, age and where you live.

Keith

Is there any real safeguards against internet snooping? I opened a facebook account so i could keep up to speed on family members dotted around the world. Within a week stuff I look at on ebay is popping up on a sidebar and friends are being suggested that I had business dealings with over ten years ago. :thumbsdown::thumbsdown: This is happening even though I pay for AVG full house security :veryangry:

Bob

I cannot put into words how much I loathe assbook after understanding how it works. Give up any hope of privacy if you use it, and it sucks you in by continually thrusting "old friends" at you. Well, there's a reason they are "old friends." Google is just as bad which is why I refuse to have a "global" account.

How would you have kept in touch before assbook? By email, skype, text, and snailmail. Even these relatively lo-tech methods tend to heighten the value of the contact.

Assbook is just a voyeurs paradise and I ain't interested in what anyone else is doing (to whom).

Rant off!! :furious:

I cannot put into words how much I loathe assbook after understanding how it works. Give up any hope of privacy if you use it, and it sucks you in by continually thrusting "old friends" at you. Well, there's a reason they are "old friends." Google is just as bad which is why I refuse to have a "global" account.

How would you have kept in touch before assbook? By email, skype, text, and snailmail. Even these relatively lo-tech methods tend to heighten the value of the contact.

Assbook is just a voyeurs paradise and I ain't interested in what anyone else is doing (to whom).

Agree 100% Keith.
BTW thanks to Pat for the advice.
:thumbsup::thumbsup:

An alternative Keith. :idea:

For those of my generation who do not use and cannot comprehend why Facebook exists:
I am trying to make friends outside of Facebook while applying the same principles. Therefore, every day I walk down the street and tell passers-by what I have eaten, how I feel at the moment, what I have done the night before, what I will do later, and with whom.
I give them pictures of my family, my dog, and of me gardening, taking things apart in the garage, watering the lawn, standing in front of landmarks, driving around town, having lunch, and doing what anybody and everybody does every day.
I also listen to their conversations, give them the "thumbs up" and tell them I like them.
And it works just like Facebook. I already have four people following me:
Two police officers, a private investigator, and a psychiatrist.

I don't, it doesn't get much worse than Facebook, except the U.S. gov't and their 4 vassal eyes of course.
Google is up there with them.

I don't recall saying microshaft were worse than them, not far behind though.

Surveillance state has been imposed upon us - along with surveillance business...

The world we live in now disgusts me in so many ways, and it happened so fast...

Buy American... If you like being watched...

Tim.

Keith

I completely agree. People might be "concerned" re: Windows 10, but in my view, there are already 2 rather large elephants in the room: Goggle and Assbook. It's already too late but somehow these intrusive programs have tapped into a couple of key elements in the human psyche: that of not wanting to miss out and the voyeur instinct.

It's our own fault, but I was horrified with this software from day 1 and am even more horrified that the general public seem blissfully unaware that their privacy has been stolen. I have never opted in to Google or Facebook from day 1. Are there more like me? I haven't met many.

Back