windshield fit

Jim Dewar

Supporter
It was the perfect answer in my situation, but I was given a 50/50 chance of cracking the windshield from heat while grinding off material. It was a very slow process but a perfect solution!

Lynn Larsen

Lynn Larsen
Jim,

Glad to hear that your windshield fit is worked out to your liking. As dear as the glass is, I am sure your pucker factor was pretty high for a while there :).

I'd love to take a look at your car one of these days. Let me know if you think that would work. I have taken a 90 day leave of abcense from work while I deal with my mother's estate, so I have some free time now and again.

Regards,
Lynn

I am glad at seeing that, as a matter of fact I was talking to my son's tae kwon doe instructor tonight and he works at the Ford Glass Plant here in Tulsa. I asked him if he new anything about this type of process and he said he was sure it could be done easily by a good glass guy.
I think my only other concern will be the large gap in one area where the windshield needed to be bigger . I'm not sure if the seal will make the gap and make it look ok or maybe find a different seal. Its about 12mm and I don't think you would want to drop the windshield lower The gap would open up in other areas.I guess you could also make the fibreglass area wider below it , but that might not look right.
That is funny Dan M. that we were just discussing this.
Dan, Jim or any one else have a spot like this on their's ?
This is on the R/h lower area.

Attachments

• 63510-P8220001.JPG
    63510-P8220001.JPG
    55.6 KB · Views: 269
Jim,

I watched a glass guy "adjust" an 3'x10'(1/4" tempered

glass) window for my old boat, some years ago. Much to my

surprise, he did it with a belt sander. According to him,

anybody can grind a window safely, but it does require a

special belt.

Bill

Jim Dewar

Supporter
Dan,
I don't have any areas like that. My glass/spider only had tight areas. The only way to properly check clearance (my glass guy demonstrated) is to install the weatherstrip and center the glass. You may find 1/8" by doing this, it really changed mine.

[ QUOTE ]
Dan,
I don't have any areas like that.

[/ QUOTE ]
I had a feeling I was going to hear those words Jim.
Well,,, I am happy for you though , LOL ,,, /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

Back