Windshield wiper mount location

Randy Folsom

Supporter
I have been watching KurbmeisterKlotz’s RCR GT40 Build YouTube videos. He shows how he moved the windshield wiper mount on the spider from the passenger side to the driver’s side. I am wondering if RCR has different spiders depending on the driver side and he just received the wrong one or if all the spiders are made like the original and what he did is a common modification. Thx in advance.

Chet Zerlin

Supporter
Hi Randy,

I think all of the spiders come as based on the “original” GT40’s which were RHD so the wiper motor location was on the right side of the spider. That’s the way mine came. Moving it to the opposite side just required careful measuring (and a bit of trust in my abilities having never done it before!). Since it did not require cutting the entire section of the spider apart the dimensions of the front of the spider remained the same.

There’s lots of examples in the various builds on this forum if needed. At least I’ve got a huge number of pictures I downloaded to study before beginning the process… :)

Chet

Randy Folsom

Supporter
Hi Randy,

I think all of the spiders come as based on the “original” GT40’s which were RHD so the wiper motor location was on the right side of the spider. That’s the way mine came. Moving it to the opposite side just required careful measuring (and a bit of trust in my abilities having never done it before!). Since it did not require cutting the entire section of the spider apart the dimensions of the front of the spider remained the same.

There’s lots of examples in the various builds on this forum if needed. At least I’ve got a huge number of pictures I downloaded to study before beginning the process… :)

Chet
Chet, thx much for the guidance. Going to add that step to my build plan. Cheers, Randy.

Chris Kouba

Supporter
Randy,

If you're careful, you only need to cut out the blistered section and transplant that. The remainder of the windscreen frame can remain the intact. Remember to figure in that you'll need to move the indented area on the front clip too. There are a couple of pics on my thread, but they're old and I don't remember where they're hosted, so I can't find the original resolution files.

Chris

Randy Folsom

Supporter
Randy,

If you're careful, you only need to cut out the blistered section and transplant that. The remainder of the windscreen frame can remain the intact. Remember to figure in that you'll need to move the indented area on the front clip too. There are a couple of pics on my thread, but they're old and I don't remember where they're hosted, so I can't find the original resolution files.

Chris
Very helpful. Thx much.

Back