Rcr 40-31

Re: Rcr40-31

Chris K,
Let me know if you want the brake ducts by emailing me at; datonabill at msn dot com You will have to get in line for a set. I've suddenly become swamped with people wanting GT40 brake ducts. I also make the original battery covers and fuse box panels. The original cars had the fuse box with a cover mounted in the dash panel. You could mount the fuse box cover just for looks if you like.
Bill Hough

Chris Kouba

Supporter

It's unfortunate that being OCD has such a negative stigmatism. It's obviously helping on the productivity front...

I'll try to chill out and get a little sleep now (I work nights). Not before I get something else done though.

Any pictures from yesterday Fran?

On the pedals I ended up mounting mine at a little bit of an angle to clear the control arm mount. I don't think the angle will be noticeable when you drive. It is certainly the easiest solution.

Ron McCall

Supporter

jonathans said:
On the pedals I ended up mounting mine at a little bit of an angle to clear the control arm mount. I don't think the angle will be noticeable when you drive. It is certainly the easiest solution.

Same here.

Chris Kouba

Supporter

Cool, I was actually thinking about the same thing (for the pedals). Good to hear it's been done before.

You driving yet Ron???

Howard Jones

Supporter

I used gorilla hair for glassing in door hardware inside the door, headlight mounts, and threaded bungs for mounting my rear spoiler. As far a using it for filler I have no ideas except I remember there was very little working time with it. It might turn out to be difficult to shape. It is good stuff, much better than trying to use glass mat and resin to make your own version.

Sandy

Gulf GT40
Lifetime Supporter

jonathans said:
Don't know which Tilton masters Fran supplies, but you can also get 'Shorty' versions of if the standard Tilton's were used. I the standard version are the 74 series and the 75 (or remote only 76). I used the shorties to replace some on another car and worked just fine, the only issues is you have to use the smaller reservoir, but if remote mount are used not an issues. Body length goes down from around 5.5" to 3.25"

[edit-added]
Found the links to the dimensions of both

http://www.tiltonracing.com/pdfs/83.pdf
http://www.tiltonracing.com/pdfs/84.pdf

Sandy

Chris Kouba

Supporter

Sandy,

Sweet! I hadn't even thought of that. The shorty is over 2" less... Just might work.

BTW, your ride is looking FANTASTIC! I'm not sure I'd be patient enough to wait for it. But it's looking SWWWWWeeeeet! Your rear tires are wide enough to cover about three zip codes.

Chris

Chris Kouba

Supporter

The next update:

Body mounting is a LOT closer to "done" than a week ago. Monkeying around with the door hinges has gotten things a lot better. Hersh was over last week and got me further in the right direction. I spent more time this week pushing things around and, well you'll see what I got in the photos. I am thinking I am just about finished with the mounting thing.

There are two things I was dreading regarding this build- bodywork and wiring. This week I dove in the deep end.

Fran's molds are off an original which we all know is RHD. I have a LHD chassis. Even though I live in a desert, it still rains here and I want to be able to use the car as a real car- which means I need a wiper. On the left side. This weekend I cut out the wiper bump from the spider and front clip and swapped it over with the blank side of the corresponding panel. How did it come out? Check the photos. I will say that it was my first EVER foray into the world of fiberglassing and that it came out spectacularly!

Sequentially, I started with marking up the spider where it needed to be cut. I then took it off, nicked out the pieces and put it back on the chassis. With the front clip on, I marked it where needed. Then I took it off and nicked out its pieces.

With all the cutting out stuff done, I then positioned the pieces on the spider as needed and got out the stinky sticky stuff and went to town. Once this was "dry" I put the front clip back on and positioned its pieces. This time I took it off the car, flipped it over and glassed it on that ergo rack I custom made for it (yeah, the trash cans...). I held the pieces in place with normal packing tape and it work extremely well. The spider is virtually flawless and the clip matches up perfectly. I was SO stoked!

I kept the stoke and continued with the stink. The headlight buckets were next. I had already fabbed up the brackets so the next step was to get them set in. Half of a 5 Min Epoxy tube later, one lamp was in. In another 15m, the other was set. I let it cure for a little while and then glassed the whole thing in. Headlamps are now mounted!

Next was the wiring crap. I am still searching for the correct connectors to be able to install and remove the dash at will so I was hesitant to start. I sucked it up and just started it. So I now have the 12V feeds to all the gauges, the grounds for all the gauges and the lights for all the gauges wired up. I have the dedicated ground and power for the speedo set up as well.

While I was at it with the 5 Min Epoxy, I tried my hand at mounting the door handle. I ground off the side of a 2" bolt, bent up a fender washer and set it into place. End result is right on where I wanted it.

This has truly been a progressive 2 weeks. I also now have a flipped and prepped ZF-2 box in my garage. Just need a bellhouse and clutch for it now.

And looking at the calendar, it's been exactly one month since my dad and I picked up the car in Detroit.

On with the pics...

And PS - for those of you suffering through the 7° weather, the dash was wired on my patio (outdoors) in my pajamas while having breakfast. It was around 72°. I'll be bitching in the summer but this isn't all that bad right now...

Attachments

• 11P1010051.JPG
    11P1010051.JPG
    38.4 KB · Views: 1,898
  • 11P1010049.JPG
    11P1010049.JPG
    29.6 KB · Views: 1,859
  • 11P1010055.JPG
    11P1010055.JPG
    40.8 KB · Views: 2,362
  • 11P1010056.JPG
    11P1010056.JPG
    41.9 KB · Views: 1,814
  • 11P1010060.JPG
    11P1010060.JPG
    51.2 KB · Views: 2,396
  • 11P1010061.JPG
    11P1010061.JPG
    40.5 KB · Views: 1,880
  • 11P1010066.JPG
    11P1010066.JPG
    35 KB · Views: 1,858
  • 11P1010064.JPG
    11P1010064.JPG
    58.1 KB · Views: 1,868
  • 11P1010083.JPG
    11P1010083.JPG
    63.7 KB · Views: 2,344
  • 11P1010065.JPG
    11P1010065.JPG
    37.1 KB · Views: 1,811
  • 11P1010084.JPG
    11P1010084.JPG
    30.2 KB · Views: 1,774
  • 11P1010088.JPG
    11P1010088.JPG
    33.3 KB · Views: 1,788
  • 11P1010092.JPG
    11P1010092.JPG
    74.3 KB · Views: 2,277
  • 11P1010099.JPG
    11P1010099.JPG
    60.3 KB · Views: 1,821
  • 11P1010104.JPG
    11P1010104.JPG
    19.5 KB · Views: 1,846
  • 11P1010109.JPG
    11P1010109.JPG
    77.4 KB · Views: 1,848
  • 11P1010048.JPG
    11P1010048.JPG
    40.4 KB · Views: 1,951
  • 11P1010077.JPG
    11P1010077.JPG
    50.4 KB · Views: 1,978
  • 11P1010079.JPG
    11P1010079.JPG
    65.2 KB · Views: 1,771
  • 11P1010081.JPG
    11P1010081.JPG
    51.1 KB · Views: 1,752
Last edited:

Kouba, A-mazing! Nice job. I can picture it now; 3am, Sunday morning on Queen Creek, WOT with nobody in sight. I'll send you my video camera so you can tape the top speed run. Glad to see you are puting a cage in it, that will come in handy when I come visit you.

Chris turned me on to this forum over a year ago. He promised me he would one day build one of these bad boys. Chris, I am tickled to see your dream come to a reality. Knowing your education, work ethic (OCD), and automobile savvy, you are going to have this done in no time and everything will be top notch.

Have you named her yet?

Can you get retrofit HID lights for it? That would be cool IMO.

And one more thing, how about some aspiration? Will it even be driveable with that little HP? JK, but seriously, blow it....or turbo it. rockonsmile

Gregg

Gregg
Lifetime Supporter

Chris, you are doing a fantastic job and at a jet set pace too! It is a testament to your skills and the RCR product. Keep the pictures coming. On a final note, curse your weather and your pajamas!

Last edited:

Chris Kouba

Supporter

909 said:
Kouba, A-mazing! Nice job.

UH-OH, Miller found the forum! This is a friend of mine who has had a number of rather steamy rides including a 400bhp WRX, 2 STi's, and 700bhp 03 Cobra. Holy CRAP his stuff was/is quick. Regarding my ride, I have plenty of aspiration naturally and am shooting at 2300 lbs. Nothing breathing heavy except in the cabin, Miller.

Thanks for the compliments, gents. It is progressing rather well. I have knocked out the easy stuff at this point and have started stepping up. I am pretty happy with how the body is on the chassis and the next major step is the cage build. That will be rather time consuming I believe. In the interim, I'll work the electrics. I ordered a bunch of connectors last night and they'll hopefully be here for my weekend.

So far the only casualty is the right headlamp cover had a countersink go wrong. I am going to finish with the driving lamps (ordered them last night) and their covers before I let Fran know I need a new cover (just to make sure I only need one). So far mostly everything has gone extremely well!

And in the summer Gregg, it's about 115° here during the day. That's ok though, 'cause it gets down to like 98° at night (it's a dry heat though). I'll be bragging about my weather til April, then I'll be sweating in it.

Cheers!

Hi Chris, it's been awhile since I've been to your house to look at your 40. Looks like it's coming along nicely. If you need a break, bring your guitar and amp over to my house, and we'll play Voodoo Chile and any other tune you want. "I can't drive 55"?

Bill

Back