Write Ups on Each GT40.......

Ron Earp

Admin
One of our esteemed members put forth an idea to have a write up with pictures of each GT40 in the series. Al had planned this some months ago, but it is not a simple task to be knocked out in a few hours. We'd like to do it and we'll have it so if you click one of the cars in Al's logo it'd go to a page about that car. Pictures are a must!

Now, the "work" that needs to be done is historical write ups of each car with a non-judgemental eye. We've got some very talented writers on this forum, located all over the globe, and I know some of you are dying to try your hand. Naturally, you'll be credited with the piece with fame and fortune to follow.

We need write ups at a minimum on:

• The Ford GT40 Program Overview - not detailed on each car, but a general synopsis of the program.
  • MKI Cars - detailed write up, historical highlights
  • MKII Cars - ditto
  • MKIII Cars - ditto
  • MKIV/J Cars - ditto
  • Gulf Cars - special detailed write up with wins, drivers
  • Mirage Cars
  • Lola - general involvement of Lola in the roots of the GT40 project, can be expanded to cover Lola cars too
And, if someone wants to elaborate on something else, then feel free.

What do you think? Do we have some voluenteers? Basically, all you'd need to do is say "I'll do XXXXXXX" and give yourself a deadline not too far away, and we can have at it.

I'll take one of the topics that doesn't get picked up, but will wait and see which one that is.

Thanks!
Ron
:chug:

Ron Earp

Admin
Nobody wants to take a crack at this? Com'on, I know you fellows have the info and talent, where is that will? :p

Doc Watson

Lifetime Supporter
I can do the Mk I as I'm in the process of doing this anyway for my website.

I'm also doing an overall history of the GT40

give me a week or so and I will mail you what I have.

As for the will...... well if I leave this mortal coil then there will be probably the youngest owner of a GT in the world..... my girl is 8.......

Doc Watson

Last edited:

Dutton

Lifetime Supporter
I'm in for the Mark 2, Ron, subject to one small detail (ah yes, the fine print):

Before anything is put to the light of day, I request another member of the forum asist with proofing for accuracy this part of the GT story. I'll jdo my homeowrk, but there's just no replacing another set of eyes...

Ron Earp

Admin
Excellent, we can definitely have some proof reading, don't worry. I know a couple of folks who might do that part. Any more???

Rob

Lifetime Supporter
Hi Doc and Happy New Year.
Wanted to check in with you and see if any progress have been made on the historical MK I database project. Just checking... I have searched through pics (web/books) looking for reference points, as I am cutting holes and detemining paint scheme. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Essentially here is the situation:
I am planning glulf color with straight stripe (i.e no mustache). Trying to find all top three race finishes with this livery to choose best option. Hopefully a car with traditional door handles (not absolutely mandatory), determine round or rectangular driving lights , turn signal locations & style etc.

Seems in general the single stipe was the kiss of DNF.... :)

Found one.... 1968 Monza 1st place, chassis 1074 wearing #40 is a choice, however not crazy about the rear wheel lip flares, but seems best choice so far.

Another of option of course is Chassis 1076 #7 for 69 LeMans 3rd place, downsides: Mirage style door handles and ultra wide flares.

Thoughts welcome and appreciated.
Rob Borruso

Hi there,

I happen to have a domain name registered which seems (in my opinion) to fit this purpose. This is the exact reason why i have the domain name registered, .. to create a database of facts and backgrounds on all GT's.

The domain name is GT40-REGISTER.COM: Register, GT40, GT, Images, Events, etc...

Just when i came up with this idea i contacted some people from the GT40 community but nobody had any interest.

For now the domain is not used (limited time and out of inspiration for now…) but I’m willing to help and support.

I do not have a GT40 and unfortunately I do not have the knowledge and experience others of the GT40 community have but if I can help and get involved ….

Just to let you know, I host my own servers (mail and web services) and my web sites (Home, IT-CONSOLIDATED.COM - Support Magic, MagicTSD, MagicSD/SDE, PL-SQL & T-SQL scripts etc. - OFFICAL WEB SITE (own IT Service Management company) and GT40-REGISTER.COM: Register, GT40, GT, Images, Events, etc... are using asp/php.

Dutton

Lifetime Supporter
Well, boys, long about last July, Doc Watson and I (in a moment of I'm not sure what) threw our hats into the ring when our own Ron Earp extended an opportunity to make a genuine contribution to our beloved forum and, at the very same time, give a little something back while documenting the history of the GT40. For Doc and I, it was an easy call - we volunteered and went to work.

Since then, Doc and I have completed work on documenting the history of the Mk 1 and Mk 2. But the project could still use some help. Spare time for Doc and I isn’t exactly growing on trees these days.

What we’re looking for is a few good souls to help see this project to completion. Honestly, it does take a bit of time and yes, a bit of reading and research is necessary – but the end result is something that I know you’ll be proud of knowing you played an active part in making a forum of this high a caliber an even more valuable resource than it already is – and I’ve read repeatedly how deeply so many appreciate what they’ve found here.

Here’s your chance to put a little effort where your appreciation is… how ‘bout it, guys?

Best to all,

T.

Alex Hirsbrunner

Lifetime Supporter
Hi Ron, Tim

I'll take the write up for J-Car (the bread wagon, not the MkIVs). Is there a template you would like us to follow?

Al

Dutton

Lifetime Supporter
Hi Al,

While I can't speak for Doc, my approach to Ron's original suggestion was to just tell the story -- a brief history of the specific model, distinguishing features, competition/testing history and... well, the rest is pretty much up to the individual writer. Basically, have some fun with it and just do the best you can.

My commitment to this project was subject to one non-negotiable requirement. The stipulation being that someone knowledgeable in all things GT40 would perform a thorough proof read of the piece before being posted. Ron agreed and, while I'm not comfortable publicly revealing the name of the individual Ron suggested to me, rest assured this proof-reader knows the GT40 well - QUITE well.

The key? Just tell the story. No one is expecting a 'GT40 manifesto' or another book on the marque.

Okay, so who's in for the Mk4? Or the Mk3? Or the...

Best,

T.

p.s - Aren't you already doing more than your share as one of the forum administrators?

Doc Watson

Lifetime Supporter
Ron, I will have my first draft ready by the end of the weekend, I will send it to you on Monday.

Andy

Back