C5FE-B rods

Searching some history of some rods i just picked up . The # on casting C5FE-B is a unique one. So Far i know they HI-PO rods but to there application is a bit sparse. If some one here knows i would greatly apprieciate any knowledge you may have . Thank You

Rough measure from center to center is about 5.375 maybe minus .010 or .020

Attachments

• HPIM0704.jpg
    HPIM0704.jpg
    25.1 KB · Views: 412
  • HPIM0707.jpg
    HPIM0707.jpg
    23.5 KB · Views: 445
  • HPIM0702.jpg
    HPIM0702.jpg
    27.6 KB · Views: 474
Last edited:
Indy Rod- Boss 302 Option/Competition Rod , built for the Indy 255 cu in motor initially. C to C length is 5.315". Rod bolt nut should require a special socket. Rare as & hard to find in good condition. P/N in Boss 302 guise was- DOZX-6200-A.( That is p/n, not the casting number which would suggest that the forge dies for those rods was used from 1965 onwards).
Some aftermart suppliers have this length available in I-Beam/H-Beam format.

Jac Mac

Mac thanks these where all done resized, peened, fluxed , balanced then bagged way back . i also have 2 sets rod and main Federal Mogul bearings alum they have a description Blue on the box. Date coded 10-1972 .

So next question are they the same crank journal size as a 302. The guy i bought these from his dad did drag racing. Maybe when he resized them he did it for a 289 - 302 crank. Is there any books i can locate with the info in print . Thank You for your help .

So thats why there's a funny looking nut i was told they are ARP studs they are 3/8s diameter .

Last edited:
These are the early 255 indy rods. The bearings are not available anywheres else and only came in std, .001 and .003 which is red, blue and orange. these rods originaly had the indy-big block pin size of .975 but were often rebushed to .912. The aircraft bolts are a special size and hard to replace as well, but the trick aircraft nuts can easily be replaced. These are .250 long and heavy as hell but very trick. These should not be confused with the boss 302 trans am rods (DOZX part number, C9ZE casting ) which uses another special only bearing. These 2 rods have different tang locations. These rods with the special and rare bearings will fit on any stock type crank but are very difficult to get balanced on a external balanced crank.

Bob, as Jay( Cushman Comp) has pointed out there is a different tang location on the brg shells for the 255 or 302 rods-the 10-1972 code on your brgs would tend to indicate yours may be for the later rods. I only have pn for Boss type rods/brg's so wont confuse the issue with those. The pin bush if fitted with them can be replaced with the bush from a 272/292/312 Y-Block to bring it back to the SB Ford size of .912" from .975".

Jac Mac

Jay i was given your site this morn and sent a email but i think you answered it here . I did another rough tape of pin i think its the .975 really close to a inch mark . I'll bring a Mic home tuesday when i go back to work . But i can see .060 on a tape .

So seems what i have may not be a good choice for my project . That or alot more education is needed. Some time at ebay may be in the future . Dont think they should be sitting in the tub another 30 years .

I really thank you guys I Love cars and own a 67 Mustang Fastback 390 4spd and a 67 Coupe and also building a 31 Model A Tudor (rod) Thats where i wanted these rods to go.

Oh just came in from garage and found the original 1/2 drive socket for the nuts . Also the 9th rod is a SK34375 . Inventory of bearings are 1 set Red and 1 set Blue

Last edited:
Back