SPF Engine R&R Document

Seymour Snerd

Lifetime Supporter
Our friend OliveR recently had the misfortune of a distributor gear failure in P2193 which required engine removal. His initial request for help inspired me to write the R&R instructions below, which I'm hoping others will find useful.

I wrote this from memory of the same procedure with my FE/ZFQ drivetrain so the chances of my having remembered everything, and having written instructions completely suitable for the more common small-block/RBT combination, is nearly zero. So to those who have been through this, please let me know if you see anything missing or wrong.

View attachment Superformance GT40 Drivetrain Removal.pdf

Last edited:

Jim Craik

Lifetime Supporter
Alan, very nice!

Thanks, I hope i never need to use your instruction, but if i ever do, they will be incredably helpful. Thats just the type of info that can save a lot of time and costly mistakes.

Thanks again!

Seymour Snerd

Lifetime Supporter
Alan, very nice!

Thanks, I hope i never need to use your instruction, but if i ever do, they will be incredably helpful. Thats just the type of info that can save a lot of time and costly mistakes.

Thanks again!

Let's hope it's better than my front ball joint instructions: "that's easy." :)

Jim Craik

Lifetime Supporter
You were a very big help, we learn a little more every time, plus it was great fun working with you. She is running just great, thanks again!

Last edited:
Many thanks Alan, I've done the job in approximatly the same order.....

Now waiting for the parts to do th ethe job in reverse order.

Question about the clutch kit: I've to replace my clutch disk but nothing is written on it so I strictly don't know what I have.

On the pressure plate is written FDC-09 meaning that it's seems to be a VALEO pressure plate.

Is it the same for your cars ?

Which clutch disk car I use with this pressure plate ?

Thanks in advance,

OliveR

Oliver,
It is difficult to answer since SPF did not supply the engine, clutch, or trans with the car. First of all if you have a ZF trans you probably have a 1 1/16" x 10 Ford spline input shaft. If you have an RBT you probably have a 29mm x 10 BMW spline input shaft. Next variable is clutch diameter. My Roush Windsor engine came supplied with a Valeo pressure plate and 10.5" disc. I have an RBT and the McLeod disc for this is # 272180R. This disc is fiber faced on the pressure plate side and has metallic pucks on the flywheel side. If you don't have a Roush engine and RBT your disc could be different.

Back