302 pistons using 289 length rods

I want pistons to suit my engine but not sure where to get them. I`m using standard stroke 302 with 289 length rods ( Boss302 crank and rods ) that I`ve had for years and want to use. I will be using Victor Junior type heads so flat top pistons are what I need I think? Does anyone know where I`m likely to find any? Thank you for any help you can give and apologies if it has been covered before.

For that combination you need a piston with a comp height of 1.55" which is not an off the shelf height and if you must use those rods then a custom piston will be your solution (JE,Ross,Wiseco et al). This will also allow you to run the cr that you want. A cheaper solution would be to ditch the boss rods and use an aftermarket rod of 5.4 inches and a piston with a comp height of 1.3" of which there is a wide choice as this is a popular 'long rod' combo

Do some measurements of the block etc before buying stuff, Early blocks usually have a bit more deck height than the 'published' 8.210" which means you can use std 302 pistons with about 0.025'' or so off the top and a fly cut of the valve pockets. Keep any deck machine work to a minimum to simply 'square the block'. Ive done a lot of this particular build, and if the 289 crank was worn it was less expensive to buy a new 302 crank and rebuild the engine as above.With Scat & Eagle now having steel 302 cranks its an even better deal.

Kevin Box

Supporter
Kev

Agree with JacMac
Maybe look around for some new old stock forged pistons as they have a thicker crown.

Failing that the 5.4 is a good option

I've done the 400 Chev rod combo (5.565") before with KB276 pistons and that works nice but a bit of a journey.
2.1" big end size and narrowed rods with Chev V6 bearings.

cheers KevinB

Back