90 Degree Tail Hinge - Odd Problem

Gents

Saw the 90 degree hinges on another blog and ordered a set. They are well constructed, but I am having a problem with the STREET tail that doesn't occur with the original tail mounts.

The tail support bar mounts to the tail in the same location that comes from the factory, but I replaced the welded nuts on the tail support bar with threaded tubes that go all the way thru the square barl. This allowed me to remove the jam nut and allows the weight to disperse across a wider area of the steel tube.

As you can see in the picture the bracket mounts like the old support on the two bolts for the lower A arm and I moved the heim joint to the back of the support bar to fit the new 90 degree fitment.

The problem is the tail no longer moves forward enough to meet the main body as it did before. Its nearly 2 inches short of proper alignment, and there is no more forward adjustment in the heims (screwed all the way in).

I saw no restrictions on the 90 degree hinges limiting them to a race or street tail, so I do not believe that is the issue. I'm not interested in modifying any other brackets to make them work. I assumed they were remove and replace. Can anyone share what is going on. Did I install them as intended? If not how do they go?

Thanks

Attachments

• 90 Degree Hinges.jpg
    90 Degree Hinges.jpg
    110.2 KB · Views: 281
  • Tail Fitment.jpg
    Tail Fitment.jpg
    71.7 KB · Views: 244

PeteB

GT40s Supporter
I had the same problem. It looks like you didn't cut the crossbar. It's hitting the bottom of the transaxle, keeping the clam from going far enough forward. Mine was also too low, even adjusted all the way to the top of the slots. I had to cut the slots to allow the hinges to be adjusted higher.

Pete

Cross bar is cut. I will weld it back well below the Graz once I figure this out.

Height doesn't seem to be the issue, rather fore and aft. Do you have the race or street tail?

Dan, is there any way to get your camera in there and take a photo of the hinge when the clam is closed?

PeteB

GT40s Supporter
Looked at your pictures again - I had to cut slots in the clam where the hinges are. They were hitting the fiberglass.

Last edited:
Dan:

Didn't the hinges come with an installation document from RCR? Maybe on the Wiki or in the latest revised version of the build manual?

I will have to wait until Monday to take the inside shot. Car is at shop for some other work. Do you have an idea?

As mounted I can open and lower the tail, but it wiil not open to a full 90 degrees. The glass is hitting something that I don't see yet, but I can hear glass under stress.

It's like the hinge is too long, forcing the tail too far back. Just doesn't make sense yet.

Pete

I see the cuts you made. For some reason I don't need them. However I see your heim joint is much further aft than mine. Mine are threaded all the way to the bar and the tail is still too far aft. I need to move forward.

How can the two cars be so different?

Do you have an idea?

It's like the hinge is too long, forcing the tail too far back. Just doesn't make sense yet.

I just can't visualize what the geometry is when it's closed. Seeing it from the inside when it's closed might help see what's causing the fitment issue.

John

I will check with the shop owner in case he is open today and take that closed picture. I appreciate you willing to take a look.

I think the hinges are a good option, but I just don't want to have to make more mods to make them work. Hoping it's something simple for once.

Not sure what your installation issue is
But here is one at the shop right now
I just took these pictures two minutes ago
As you see the tail hinges a full 90 degrees and the hinge itself prevents the rail touching the ground

Attachments

• IMG_4536.jpg
    IMG_4536.jpg
    123.6 KB · Views: 263
  • IMG_4539.jpg
    IMG_4539.jpg
    143.4 KB · Views: 294
  • IMG_4537.jpg
    IMG_4537.jpg
    125.4 KB · Views: 275
  • IMG_4540.jpg
    IMG_4540.jpg
    140.3 KB · Views: 258
Last edited:
Thanks Fran.

Between Pete's picture and your third picture the solution hit me right between the eyes. I couldn't see the forest for the trees...LOL.

I was threading the heim joint all the way in which was forcing the tail back instead of forward. The solution was simply to obvious....need to take a break.

I will however beef up the nut on the cross bar........that looks like a lot of force applied to that welded nut. I plan to weld a longer threaded tube in place of that nut to spread the tension out some more.

:embarassed:

Unless you plan on driving around with the tail open the latches and body alignment pins carry the load with the tail closed ... Extra work for yourself but they are your belt and braces ....

Back