Audi 012 box streangth/weakness

Hello,
Is there available knowledge about Audi 012 5speed transaxle - it's streangh/weakness?

Could it be used in a 800kg, rotary powered car with around 250hp and 240Nm?

Thank you
Tudor Miron

Miron,
Not sure about the strength of the 012 type box but you might want to speak to a guy called Tony at Nichol transmissions in the UK. (01562 752651). I believe he has got a few of them at low prices. They may be fairly low geared though as i remember. Hope this helps.
Shep

Please report your findings here, if you don't mind. I ran across an 012 a while back for $15 bucks because it had problems shifting in 1st and 3rd. Sounded like linkage issues to me. I passed it up because others were saying it wasn't as strong as the 016. I just wonder if it's a case where not enough people have actually tried it yet.

The model 012 5 speed is used on the V8 powered 4200lb Audi A8. A more powerful and heavier car than the Audi 5000. From that, it may even be a stronger trannsaxle than the 016 if one were to apply such logic. As for gear ratio's, look for code DUK; excellent for your application but hard to find.....It never was available in the US. Other ratio's can vary from poor to quite good. Surprisingly, the Audi A8 does not have very good ratio's. Sorry I can't post them, as I don't have them with me. There used to be a Russian site that had all this information on line, but it is no longer functional, AFAIK. PM me if you have any other questions.

Andy

I know one russian site that sells parts for Audi, VW, Skoda. They all use audi boxes. They don't have ratios but they do have prices.

http://www.elcats.ru/

Yes I found that they did use them in A8

Thanks
Ted

Lynn Larsen

Lynn Larsen
Ted,

I made a comment on another thread about a Canadian Lambo builder who, having grown tired of pushing the pinion gear through the intermidate bulkhead behind it, is experimenting with adding a steel backer plate to the cast iron wall. This does seem to be an issue with the Audi boxes in general when a LOT of torque is applied to them.

Regards,
Lynn

I am new to this forum but I am the Canadian Lambo Builder in Lynn's post.
Here is my webpage http://www.kwikercars.com/
Here is the process and pictures of my Audi strengthening project.
http://stweb.peel.edu.on.ca/sssweb/TTI-WEB/cars/audi_transmission_strengthened.htm
I can tell you that this fix is amazing. We have broken 3 axles since and I just made my own drive axles using 1350 driveshaft components. Since these half-shafts do not spin as fast as normal driveshafts the balance is a minor issue. You only need to center everything and do your best with even welding. I drove the car at 130MPH yesterday and not a vibration at all.
I have some of these plates for sale if anyone is interested. They are made to fit the 016 transaxle.

Cheers
Jim
[email protected]
[email protected]

Charlie M

Supporter
I spoke to a local Audi/VW performance builder about parts for my 016 box. When I told him that I was putting the box in a GT40 replica behind a small block Ford V8, he told me that the 012 is stronger and would be a better choice. He showed me a 012 in his shop and it does have a larger diameter input shaft spline on it.

If the 012 is indeed a stronger box, why is the 016 a more popular choice for GT40 replicas? Is there a problem fitting the 012 in the chassis? Price? Availability?

Charlie

Andy's post above indicates availability and gear ratios
may be the reason. I've never seen an 012 box, so no idea
if the 016 adapter plate could be used. If not...that's
another reason for it's lack of use. CAV/RF/KEP have already
engineered adapters for the 016.

MikeD

Designing the adaptor plate would be as minor matter. I would think that the availability of the 012 would be the deciding factor in whether it would be a good choice or not. Even if the gear ratios are comparable to the 016 it would be a better choice if it is stronger. If this transaxle was used in a car with a V8 I would think that the ratios would be better than the 016. Does anyone have the information of what model and years of manufacture it was used in? I think it has been mentioned that it was used in the A8 model. Hopefully it is a 2WD model and not AWD.

The small amount of info I have is that it was used in the A4 (I could have gotten one from an A4 - that's how I received that info). Also, I found a rebuild .pdf file on the net that says it was in applications up to 198HP (the Passat I believe). I'm pretty darn sure it is a 2WD, but whether or not it was available as 4WD I don't know.

The model 012 transaxle was available on everything Audi (except TT) 5 speed 2WD from about '97. There was an 013 and 089 model crossover ending that year. Some A8's had a very low ratio 1st gear (I think they were the US models). Others' however, were quite good. Certain codes of the 012 from Audi A4, A6, had the following *net* ratio's (gear x diff): 12.95, 7.18 4.81, 3.48, 2.92 In comparison, the Audi 016 5N: 14.80, 8.75, 5.59, 3.99, 3.00 or the Audi 015 AZZ: 14.00, 8.29, 5.68, 4.16, 3.35. (And) Just for fun, here's the Corvette Z06 (6 speed) model MM6: 9.09, 6.09, 4.45, 3.42, 2.53, 1.71, and the Porsche 930 (4 speed) 9.49, 5.49, 3.76, 2.66.

I have personally held the KEP 016 master tooling plate up to my 01E 6 speed. Only three of the bolt holes line up, and the starter pocket is rotated very slightly clockwise. Now, since the 01E and 012 were available on the same Audi motors, I speculate that the bellhousing patterns are the same. Using that logic, I suspect the 01E adapter plate (like the one offered by RF) would likely work on the 012. Quaife does offer an LSD for the model 012. This is not an endorsement of the 012's strength; simply information.

Cheers,

Andy

Back