BB Ford to Porsche G50/52... HELP!

We don't have anything for that. On a one-off project, I would start with a Lakewood bell housing. (Assuming the depth is too great.)
Cut off the face that meets the transmission (after having the machine shop locate the center of the hole relative to the locating dowels). Weld on a new rear face, reface the mounting surface, and machine the hole for the Porsche transaxle. Piece of cake...

Brian Kissel

Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
Hello Steve

A starting point might be with McLeods modular bellhousing. They do list big block applications. I think the biggest thing will be making a new center section. I really don't think it would be that big of a deal as long as the input shaft length is correct. Take a look at them here : McLeod modular bellhousing (FORD)
With the proper dimensions, it should be quick work on a CNC machine.
I hope this helps !! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif Brian

Many thanks, Bob and Brian.
Looks like the 'kit' dosent exist.
So im off to find an engineering shop, armed with the tips from you both, and hold them at gunpoint until they agree they can do it.
Tar muchley again /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Don't worry Ron
i was only joking about chevy /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif
I'd buy a skoda first.. no no still joking!!

Brian Kissel

Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
Hello Steve !!

I think with that McLeod deal, all you would have to do is make the correct choke ring, and spacer plate. As their information states everything is modular. I can't imagine it would be that hard to do. Also by using the modular setup, 2/3's of what Bob has recommended is already done for you. Just remember, " measure twice, and cut once". In the past, I've seen a lot of stange things adapted to one another with a lot less to start with. Way back in the mid 70's, I built an adaptor to fit a Otto Malaro transaxle to fit a small block CHEVY. It was a part of American Motors prototype for the mid engined AMX III that never materialized. I think only two of the cars were ever built if memory serves me correctly. I bought a few of them (transaxles), and sold the last new one I had to a fellow in Indianapolis, that owned Elegant Motor Works. In the early eighties, they were one of the larger kit car manufacturers.
Good luck !!!!!!!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif Brian

Gregg

Gregg
Lifetime Supporter
Steve I sent you a private message. The other company you could check is Patrick Motorsports. I think they are in Arizona. I will check if you need me to. As far as Kennedy goes, the adapter they made me was machined for a G50/50. The G50/50 was made in one year, 1989 turbo only. I am using the G50/52 trans. Very slight modifications to the inside of the case where the clutch/flywheel sits and starter pocket for the G50/52 to be a G50/50. I dealt with Hobert and his son Brett. If I could be of further help let me know. Good luck. Gregg

If you are still stuck after all that and really have some time on your hands, see my post in what was the diy section "Attempt to join audi tranny to ford bellhousing" I am almost finished. It is actually fairly easy, just machinists and welders take a long time to do anything when they are doing it on the side. If you want more detail as to how i did it just email me.

On the 351M/400s did you have the Block checked before machining? They tend to have an issue with core shift in a few of the early blocks. Other primary concern with them is the abysmal oiling system and its associated accelerated wear on the main bearings.
It’s not uncommon for the mains to need replacing after 50K miles, especially after some spirited use. With the intended nitrous use, I would suggest checking them more frequently.
This engine it was intended as a fill-in engine when Ford couldn’t make enough of the “W”s to fill production needs by destroking the 400s, and dropping them in the trucks. Most, if not all, of the parts I have found for the 351M/400s, are all set up for torque at low rpms, most of the parts will spec out at under 5000rpm with a “wall” at around 4200 in real world driving.
IMHO the M block isn’t worth the effort or the expense to try and fit it. The 302/351W would be a much better and more affordable choice not to mention abit lighter.

Jim

Tar Jim, i hear what your saying,
and if i was starting from scratch i may well go for a winsor or even cleavland. but being very tight on finances at the mo, and already having spent a lot of time and dosh on this lump already, i'm not gonna give up now. not only that but winsors are a bit harder to come by over here.
Many thanks

Back