Big News

For the first time ever Ford MK-IV's J3,J4,J5,J6,J7, and J8 will be together on display at the Historics. They will be on display from thurs thru sat when my car will move to Pebble for the concours. In addition on sat. I will be driving my car with the other Historic Fords that run on the track, which will be driven by people such as Dan Gurney, Jacky Stewart, Carrol Shelby,
etc.

Hey Jim,

J6 gets the nod! At least IT hasn't been sitting in mothballs! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
Good luck at Pebble beach!

Bill

OH blissful human fun! You are fortunate to possess the real thing. Can't wait to see and hear your car. It will be my first time in real life. HA HA! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Re: Big News @ Monterey

Although I have seen most of the J cars it would be nice to be there. Anyone want to volunteer to take some pictures for me with a regular 35mm camera and Kodak film. That would make my day. I am signed up for Friday at the track at Summit Point that weekend and have already spent $$$ going to SAAC TN, Carlisle PA and Dearborn MI this year.
Contact me at [email protected] A copy of a video from the event would be sweet.

Attachments

• 21049-gt40-33.JPG
    21049-gt40-33.JPG
    93.4 KB · Views: 256

J6 #2. "J10" replica red car. Rex there will be a lot of photo's taken you can get copies of mine. Will also be on SpeedChannel.
Best

Thanks - I guess I am sucking up enough to have a huge favor done. Look for my 100 or so pics from the last 20 years at Lime Rock, Daytona, Watkins, Charlotte, Nashville, Dearborn posted on this site soon. I also have and am interested in pics of T/A Bosses, Cobras and Panteras.
I have a lowly Mach1 but it's seen quite a lot of laps on several road courses and I will be in TN next year for the Mustang 40th anniversary which is having a special TA & Shelby race. While my car will not be racing per se, I will drive to the track from VA and drive it as fast as it will go and drive it home. It has not been trailered ever and has been to Watkins, Charlotte, Atlanta, Michigan, Lime Rock and Summit Point. The engine has over 150K and has not been rebuilt ever as it's been in my hands for 22 years.
You have to admire owners of cars worth millions to take them on the track - I remind people of that when they say I am taking a risk with my little old Mustang.

Attachments

• 21057-MkIV2.jpg
    21057-MkIV2.jpg
    53.2 KB · Views: 255
JIM: Any idea if Ford's '67 Le Mans winning museum car, Mk IV #J-5, is in operable condition? I have been told that it is a non-runner (at least as of a few years ago).

J5 is missing it's chassis plate, original engine, original steering wheel, and original rad. among other things. It hasn't run probably since LeMans. IMHO very sad condition.

Re: Big News Mark IV J-5

Running or not it still looks great but I guess looks can be deceiving. It was hard to see it up close with the barrier around it. They got the 64 Mustang running so maybe there is hope for the MKIV which is worth a hundred times more.

Attachments

• 21087-Fordmuseum1.JPG
    21087-Fordmuseum1.JPG
    81.7 KB · Views: 266
[ QUOTE ]
J5 is missing it's chassis plate, original engine, original steering wheel, and original rad. among other things. It hasn't run probably since LeMans. IMHO very sad condition.

[/ QUOTE ]

What a shame--and what a striking contrast to companies like Porsche, and especially Mercedes. They not only have numerous examples of their former racing greats in their factory museums, but keep them in top-notch condition and routinely take them to public track events for exercise. Guess we'll never see the Ford equivalent of Hans Stuck driving a 1930s Mercedes Grand Prix car at Monterey, or Sir Sterling Moss in the 1955 Mille Miglia-winning 300SLR.

Peter Delaney

GT40s Supporter
That's what you get when you have bean-counters running the show instead of people with a bit of soul !!

They just have no idea of the maketing leverage they could get from this sort of thing - being 100 does not necessarily make you wise - just old !

I guess that the new Ford GT is as close as they will get to "soul" - unfortunately, some accountant will figure out how much they lost on this (based purely on cost of development/manufacture vs direct Ford GT sales revenue, completely forgetting the "image spin-off") & can any future moves to preserve the "heritige".

Peter D.

Back