Condenser Mounting

My Vintage Air air conditioning kit came with brackets for mounting the condenser, but I didn't think they would do a very good job, so instead, it was mounted using some spare aluminum fuel line, some spare aluminum flat stock and a couple of wdg clamps.

To start off with, the 1/2" x 1/2" foam rubber weatherstripping was applied all the way around the outside of the condenser on the side facing the radiator. This allows the condenser to sit snugly against the radiator with an air tight seal. A couple of strips of the same weatherstripping were placed in front of the radiator on the "floor", where the condenser could sit on them. These two strips provide a seal and cushioning so that the condenser does not rub on the aluminum floor.

The ends of the aluminum fuel line were squeezed shut in a vice to make tabs that could be drilled for screws. The tabs were then bent to the appropriate angle and screwed to the wdg clamps which wrapped around the support bar which runs across the nose of the car. At this point, the condenser is pretty secure and the geometry of the mounting keeps it in place, but as added insurance, two short brackets were made from the aluminum flat stock, bent up to make "feet" and screwed to the floor in front of the condenser. These don't actually mount to the condenser itself, but they prevent the bottom of the condenser from moving forward.

The end result is a condenser which is securely mounted, but is still vibration-isolated from the rest of the car.

The parts I used were mostly lying around the shop, but could be bought new as follows:

Aluminum Tube 1/2" diameter x 1' $0.88: 3003-0 VERSATUBE from Aircraft Spruce

2 WDG10 clamps also $0.88: MS21919 DG / WDG CLAMPS from Aircraft Spruce

8' Aluminum Flat Stock $7.80 (way longer than needed for this):
Shop Steelworks 8-ft x 1/2-in Aluminum Metal Flat Bar at Lowes.com

Attachments

• DSC04840.jpg
    DSC04840.jpg
    48.8 KB · Views: 352
  • DSC04841.jpg
    DSC04841.jpg
    59.6 KB · Views: 371
  • DSC04956.jpg