Coyote Engine Choice?

Phil G

Supporter
I placed my order a few weeks ago for the GT40 MK1 with RCR and I will need to make a decision shortly on what engine I will be using in order for RCR to build the chassis for my engine choice which will be a 351 or Coyote. I would like the opinion of anyone using the Coyote and what modifications had to be made and any other issues they had to deal with when using the Coyote? I have decided on the ZF as the transaxle and stack injection for either engine selection.
Thanks In Advance
Phil

Howard Jones

Supporter
A 351 with a 4 barrel at 500HP is half the money and a 4th of the difficulty. If you don't have a tuner that you KNOW can tune the FI in mind up front then buyer beware. That's just my opinion and a bit of experience watching others work out a tune for their FI systems.

If you are set on a stack injection system then you might as well do the coyote. In for a penny in for a pound.

Bill Kearley

Supporter
Howard is right, I have a 427W 8 stack and Holley control. It took a while and the right guy to get it right. Even then I had to set up the TB balance to have a good idle.

I have a Backdraft Cobra with a 1st gen Coyote, borla 8 stack, and haletech ECU.. mated to a T56 6 speed. Runs great. No complaints. Very reliable, no constant tuning or fiddling around needed. See pic

Attachments

• 6F8EE459-D9BD-49B4-A9CA-18611B295F39.jpeg
    6F8EE459-D9BD-49B4-A9CA-18611B295F39.jpeg
    329.8 KB · Views: 384

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
I have a Backdraft Cobra with a 1st gen Coyote, borla 8 stack, and haletech ECU.. mated to a T56 6 speed. Runs great. No complaints. Very reliable, no constant tuning or fiddling around needed. See pic

Welcome to GT40s.com ...
Please change your Username to your REAL NAME as you agreed to do when you registered here.
Thank you..

Tim Collins

Supporter
We opted for a Coyote with an InnoV8 8 stack in our RCR Mk1 GT40. I put a Coyote in my FFR 33 Hot Rod build and it's the best performing, and most straight forward install that I have ever done! I used a Ford Racing Controls pack, basically hooked up one wire and started the engine. I did have it tuned on a chassis dyno...made 445HP at the wheels.
Best looking config.JPG
Coyote fit rear.JPG

We opted for a Coyote with an InnoV8 8 stack in our RCR Mk1 GT40. I put a Coyote in my FFR 33 Hot Rod build and it's the best performing, and most straight forward install that I have ever done! I used a Ford Racing Controls pack, basically hooked up one wire and started the engine. I did have it tuned on a chassis dyno...made 445HP at the wheels.

Hello Tim,

A few of questions for you if you don’t mind.

What transaxle did you mate up to the coyote?

How did you relocate the factory serpentine set up?

We’re you able to retain the factory starter location or wet sump?

thank you.

Tim Collins

Supporter
Hello Tim,

A few of questions for you if you don’t mind.

What transaxle did you mate up to the coyote? ZF RBT. But been waiting nearly 2 years for the trans. They sent us an empty housing so we could locate the motor.

How did you relocate the factory serpentine set up? Didn't. We modified the RCR chassis to work with the stock Mustang FEAD, including the A/C and starter.

We’re you able to retain the factory starter location or wet sump? We are changing the oil pan to get a little more clearance. The stock pan fits but it hangs down about 1 1/2" from flat bottom of the chassis.

thank you.

IMG_7936.JPG

Back