Dash height

Ross Nicol

GT40s Supporter
Should the dash block the view to the bottom of the windscreen? I have just fitted the seats and sat in the car for a while to find my dash does.It seems to have robbed viewing height as well.To apex corners whilst racing I need all the view I can get.What is the consensus on this one?

Ross,

Being 6'3 My head (helmet) almost touches the roof, but my standard line has always been that the best view out of the windscreen is from that possition. Take heart though, Formula 1 drivers have it even worse.

May I ask what seats you are using? Not RF's I assume.

Ross Nicol

GT40s Supporter
Hi Chris
I feel a bit silly after posting the topic last night.Today with a clear head I put the front clip on and realized that the gaurds rise above the lower windscreen line, and I hadn't cut out the dash enough to let the steering wheel sit at the highest point. So the dash was sitting high too. Today I sorted this out and I reckon the dash now lines up with front clip and nostril so if I sit in the car and lower myself down I lose the front of car at the same point as the dash. I had a six foot person in the car today chris and they didn't fit as I've got the pedals set up for me (I'm vertically challenged in the leg dept).Have you dropped the floor in your car? The seats i have are race seats that I had trimmed.Fibreglass mould from roaring forties.Happy new year Chris

Ross

Robert Logan

Defunct Manufactuer - Old RF Company
Ross,

Our new dash is higher and is normally under the ceramic band on the front screen. This lifting of the dash was done to raise the relationship between the shoulders and the hands when steering. The best ergonomics are when the hands are level with the shoulders although some racing drivers prefer the hand even higher.

I have some of the old dash molds at the shop, I will be at work this afternoon (New Years Day) much to my wifes dismay, so give me a call.

Best wishes,

Robert

Ross,

I have what was the dropped floor when I ordered, but is standard hight now... so its probably the same as yours (you might want to confirm this Robert). I have the raised dash, and my pedals are as far forward as I can get them. I've also had the standard seats made with a little less padding. I'll also be fabricating my own seats for the track since RF's race seats leave me a bit too high.

Incidenatally Ross, I'm the "Chris" you had dinner with at Robert's... so don't drop too many secrets 'cos I might just use them against you on the track
grin.gif
on second thoughts, feel free to drop away
grin.gif
grin.gif

Ross Nicol

GT40s Supporter
Chris
Don't worry I know your competition for me and who you are.I go racing for fun Chris and I don't care if I share Ideas with fellow racers.Why don't we get together to check each others progress.I have a lot of things going on at the moment.My chassis is 6 higher than yours so it may have a dropped floor.Check the RF forum I'm going to post a couple of Items on safety.You can get my phone number off my website below.

Ross

Back